CTE-440 on Linux Mint 17 64bit Cinammon

bexnews
OK, I had prior emailed about trying to use this thru a KVM, but it seems that just connecting the Wacom directly to the laptop running LM 17 does not work either.

I edited my grub to hopefully negate any changes made to get my Bamboo tablet working. But, when I unplug the Bamboo and plug in the the CTE-440, it still does not move the cursor or appear under the graphics tablet settings?

Any ideas to troubleshoot?

Also:
~ $ dmesg | grep wacom
~ $ lsusb -v | grep -i wacom
Bus 002 Device 011: ID 056a:0015 Wacom Co., Ltd Graphire 4 4x5
  idVendor           0x056a Wacom Co., Ltd
  iManufacturer           1 WACOM
~ $ lsmod | grep wacom
~ $ gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="
quiet splash"
# AB for bamboo comment above, for CTE440 comment below
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash usbhid.quirks=0x056a:0x0319:0x40000000"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# AB AFTER CHANGES RUN sudo update-grub IN TERMINAL

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:24 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Im on LM17-64. I have a Wacom Bamboo wireless and a Wacom CTE-440, the former of which I miraculously got running per the instructions here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/530205/h ... untu-14-04

The Bamboo tablet I tend to use when on the road. I am planning to hook up my machine to a KVM switch for when I was not traveling, and was hoping to make use of the CTE-440 at that point.

1. My first question is if I have multiple machines on the KVM, and I want to use a Wacom tablet as a "mouse", do all those machines need to be able to individually use that tablet?

If so, I have not yet successfully setup the CTE-440 on my laptop yet. I plugin and it does not work. But if I need to get this to work, I see that in the link above it says not to edit xorg.conf if the other steps got the Bamboo tablet running. IIRC I did not need to edit xorg. In contrast when I goto http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index ... eforestart to consider how to install the CTE-440 it says "if you have Wacom related lines in your XF86Config/XF86Config-4 or xorg.conf files already, you should comment them out or remove them".

2. So how would I simultaneously not edit xorg and then also remove lines from it? Is there a way to switch back and forth or can I edit under certain restrictions? THanks!

Re: CTE-440 on Linux Mint 17 64bit Cinammon

bexnews
OK, an update:

I got the CTE-440 partially "working" on LM 64 bit Cinammon.... (not even sure how?!)

When I use the Wacom mouse (model EC-140-0S) the cursor jumps all over the screen and clicks things randomly. It is totally unusable.

When I use the stylus, it moves all over the screen but I cannot leftclick by button or tapping. Right mouse button seems to work, though if I hold down the right mouse button, the cursor will jump all over the screen like the mouse above. This seems to interfere with the other Bamboo tablet if they are both plugged in. Like the Bamboo tablet will cease being able to click - and I will need to reboot to get things back usable.

Any ideas? I was considering maybe just trying to buy a new USB tablet but given both of these tablets are having problems, I am concerned that there is not an easy fix or is anyone using a basic Wacom USB tablet without issue in LM 17 64 bit? Would be nice if it works with Ubuntu 12.04 since that's my other system but I may need to reinstall that one anyway.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 8:17 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michal Suchanek
Hello,

I think that the KVM switch might be trying to do something clever so all the machines think they have a mouse which may not work very well with a tablet.

Without a KVM switch the tablet should just work when it's not some brand new model which would not be supported because of old drivers.

However, you need to ensure you have the X11 wacom driver:
$ dpkg -l |grep wacom
ii  xserver-xorg-input-wacom                     0.26.0+20140918-1                                amd64        X.Org X server -- Wacom input driver
$ xinput |grep Wacom
⎜   ↳ Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen stylus             id=10    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch           id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen eraser             id=14    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger pad             id=15    [slave  pointer  (2)]

Ubuntu 12.04 might be a bit too old. Also not all versions of Ubuntu would work with a tablet flawlessly. In some the wacom driver might be just broken. I use Debian Jessie so I would not know which Ubuntu versions work to what extent.

There should be no kernel parameters needed to use a wacom tablet.

I use a few bamboo tablets and while the X server, applications and the tablet hardware all have issues it's at least possible to use the pen to position the cursor without issues provided the wacom X11 driver is installed.

HTH

Michal

On 19 January 2015 at 17:34, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your help! I should have mentioned I have removed the KVM from this troubleshoot. The behavior I described in the last email, happens with the CTE plugged directly into my LM machine and the Bamboo's bluetooth USB dongle disconnected.

With the CTE plugged in to the LM 17 machine, it shows:

 ~ $ dpkg -l |grep wacom
ii  libwacom-common                                             0.8-1                                               all          Wacom model feature query library (common files)
ii  libwacom2:amd64                                             0.8-1                                               amd64        Wacom model feature query library
ii  xserver-xorg-input-wacom                                    1:0.23.0-0ubuntu2                                   amd64        X.Org X server -- Wacom input driver
 ~ $ xinput |grep Wacom
⎜   ↳ Wacom Graphire4 4x5 stylus                  id=10    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Wacom Graphire4 4x5 eraser                  id=14    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Wacom Graphire4 4x5 cursor                  id=15    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Wacom Graphire4 4x5 pad                     id=16    [slave  pointer  (2)]

Does that help?

THanks in advance!

On 20 January 2015 at 01:08, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your help! I should have mentioned I have removed the KVM from this troubleshoot. The behavior I described in the last email, happens with the CTE plugged directly into my LM machine and the Bamboo's bluetooth USB dongle disconnected.

With the CTE plugged in to the LM 17 machine, it shows:

 ~ $ dpkg -l |grep wacom
ii  libwacom-common                                             0.8-1                                               all          Wacom model feature query library (common files)
ii  libwacom2:amd64                                             0.8-1                                               amd64        Wacom model feature query library
ii  xserver-xorg-input-wacom                                    1:0.23.0-0ubuntu2                                   amd64        X.Org X server -- Wacom input driver

As you can see your driver version is much older. Since you are planning to reinstall your machine anyway I suggest you install a *current* version of Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

 ~ $ xinput |grep Wacom
⎜   ↳ Wacom Graphire4 4x5 stylus                  id=10    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Wacom Graphire4 4x5 eraser                  id=14    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Wacom Graphire4 4x5 cursor                  id=15    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Wacom Graphire4 4x5 pad                     id=16    [slave  pointer  (2)]

This means that some driver is loaded. If you can find lines like
 [3282177.865] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen (/dev/input/event2)
[3282177.865] (**) Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen: Applying InputClass "evdev tablet catchall"
[3282177.865] (**) Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen: Applying InputClass "Wacom USB device class"
[3282177.865] (**) Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen: Applying InputClass "Wacom class"
[3282177.865] (II) LoadModule: "wacom"
[3282177.867] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen'

in /varlog/Xorg.0.log then the wacom driver is loaded.

Erratic movement is typical for wrong mouse protocol so either the wrong driver is used or the driver is too old.

HTH

Michal

[...]

Michal,

I am a little confused - where are you reading the driver version that's old? The "1:0.23.0-0ubuntu2"?

The terminal output I provided is from a Linux Mint 17 machine.... Linux Mint came out ~May 2014? Do I simply need to update some of the drivers? I was originally confused if I should update lib-wacom and/or xf86-input-wacom (those are drivers right?) since another person on this list said LM17 should/might support this tablet out-of-the-box. Reading the Wacom Project page though it seemed to indicate I might be served updating the drivers, which I attempted to do for both lib-wacom and xf86-input-wacom but got stuck when the latter failed to install properly, and it seemed to not be helping after I installed lib-wacom. I may be wrong though - it seems erratic, certainly not working properly, but may be no different with or without lib-wacom installed; seems most errant with using the Wacom mouse, and I may not have tried that before installing lib-wacom. I may have only tried the stylus which is also not working.

Sorry I was confusing, I was referring to the fact that the other machine on my KVM is Ubuntu 12.04LTS which is a bit older, where the same Wacom CTE440 works fine. But again, I am now ignoring the KVM and trying to connect the CTE440 direct to the LM17 machine.

Andrew