Fw: TwinView on RHEL6.6

Grant Street

Hello

I can't seem to see the TwinView parameter anymore in RHEL6.6. It was there in 6.2.

I understand that it may not be available in the gnome config app but I can't even see it in the xsetwacom --list parameters. Am I going nuts? Has that functionality been removed?

Ok so I found

http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Wacom_Tablet_Set_Up#Dual_and_Multi-Monitor_Set_Up

and it says it has support but I can't see any mention of the functionality that auto switches the screens. I'm looking for the following functionality

"Option "Twinview" "horizontal"|"vertical"|"leftof"|"aboveof" |"xinerama"|"none" sets the orientation of TwinView to map the tablet to one screen and to be able to move the screen cursor from one screen to the other when tool reaches the edge of the tablet."

So has this been forgotten in the implementation of TwinView?

Thanks in advance

Grant

Re: Fw: TwinView on RHEL6.6

Ping Cheng-2
Hi Grant,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I was trying to get a second
opinion from my RHEL friends...

TwinView is no long supported in Wacom driver. In fact, all display
mapping related options are removed from Wacom driver. Mapping is
managed in Gnome's Wacom control panel, where it belongs. XInput's
MapToOutput property is used for all input devices to display
mappings.

I tested RHEL 6.6, 7 and Fedora 21. In their Gnome Wacom control
panel, both versions of RHEL and Fedora 21 have the "Map to
Monitor..." function. That means you can switch to individual monitors
from the control panel. Did you try the "Map to Monitor..." function?
Sure, it is not an on-the-fly function. But, does it map monitors for
you?

If you want on-the-fly monitor mapping, i.e., without going back to
control panel, RHEL 7 and Fedora 21 have a "Switch Monitor" option
inside "Map Buttons...". I didn't make it work on my RHEL 7. But I do
see the option work on Fedora 21. So, it can be an user error on my
side.

RHEL 6.6 doesn't have "Switch Monitor" option. If you need to toggle
monitors on-the-fly, you probably need to upgrade to RHEL7.

All my testings are based on out of box display setup. I didn't test
Nvidia's binary driver. It may work the same way too.

Do you have specific reason to use TwinView setup? If you have to stay
with the old TwinView approach, you can create a script that switches
and maps the monitors manually by xsetwacom MapToOutput option.
However, once you use xsetwacom, you would not be able to use the
distribution provided Wacom control panel properly any more.

During my testing, I do see "Display Toggle", which toggles between
monitors and the whole desktop, would be a better option than "Switch
Monitor", which only switches between monitors. Most people would like
to have the freedom to move across monitors from time to time
on-the-fly. That can be a feature request for future Gnome support.

Hope this answers your question.

Ping

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Grant Street <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>

> I can't seem to see the TwinView parameter anymore in RHEL6.6. It was there
> in 6.2.
>

> I understand that it may not be available in the gnome config app but I
> can't even see it in the xsetwacom --list parameters. Am I going nuts? Has
> that functionality been removed?
>

> Ok so I found
>
> http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Wacom_Tablet_Set_Up#Dual_and_Multi-Monitor_Set_Up
>
> and it says it has support but I can't see any mention of the functionality
> that auto switches the screens. I'm looking for the following functionality
>
> "Option "Twinview" "horizontal"|"vertical"|"leftof"|"aboveof"
> |"xinerama"|"none" sets the orientation of TwinView to map the tablet to one
> screen and to be able to move the screen cursor from one screen to the other
> when tool reaches the edge of the tablet."
>
> So has this been forgotten in the implementation of TwinView?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Grant

Re: Fw: TwinView on RHEL6.6

Grant Street-2
To give you some background .....

Our artists use desktops with two screens side by side, with a combined screen resolution of 3820X1200.
Some of our artists are painting/matte painting and when the tablet gets auto mapped to that ultrawide, low height screen resolution it causes their painting strokes to be distorted.
To demonstrate this get a circular object like a jar lid, coin or small saucer etc and place it on the tablet. open up a painting app like gimp or KColorPaint and trace around the circular object and it looks like a rugby ball or a deflated soccer ball.

To get around this issue there are two current methods
1. use a command like 'xsetwacom set "wdaemon: Wacom Intuos3 9x12" Area 0 0 60960 22860' . The area is calculated based on the maximum wacom resolution and fitting the screen width in the full width of the wacom and using that ratio to calculate how much of the wacom height is used.  This essentially makes about half the wacom unused. once calculated this could be set in wacomcpl in the old admin panel.
2. To use twin view horizontal. The wacom's aspect ratio fit's nicely to one screen and gives you the flexibility to not have to swap between mouse and tablet to swap the screens. this could be configured in wacomcpl in the old admin panel.

when we have moved from 6.2 to 6.6 we have gained support of the latest wacoms but lost quite a bit of functionality.
- We lost floating Wacom user configuration using NFS home directories
- We lost Graphical screen area mapping
- We lost Graphical Feel configurations
- We lost Nvidia Twinview configuration

 I understand that the original Dreamworks developers may not be supporting this any more but this is a bug in terms of lost behavior. I know the gnome solution looks better, and it may not have everything to start with, but this came out with RHEL6.3 or 6.4 which is more than a year ago. It was in fedora even before that. More than enough time to add this functionality back in.

This is the frustrating thing with RHEL as a desktop platform, I love it's stability and thirdparty vendor software support but it's desktop peripheral support sucks. I logged a case with Redhat   on September 5, 2013 and it only made it in rhel 6.6 , 14 October 2014.

Because of thirdparty software requirements we can't go to the latest RHEL7 or Fedora.

I don't see the "Display Toggle" option where is that?
If we shouldn't use xsetwacom is there a commandline method for interacting with XInput or gnome-wacom-properties that gives us the same functionality?
The most flexible workaround at the moment would be to change the "MapTo Outptut" property triggered by a shortcut key and trigger the shortcut key using  a wacom button press. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your reply, It's just frustrating that wacom and redhat don't work together more to make both products work better.

Grant

On 18/04/15 05:04, Ping Cheng wrote:
> [...]

> in 6.2.
>

> I understand that it may not be available in the gnome config app but I
> can't even see it in the xsetwacom --list parameters. Am I going nuts? Has
> that functionality been removed?
>

> Ok so I found
>
> http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Wacom_Tablet_Set_Up#Dual_and_Multi-Monitor_Set_Up
>
> and it says it has support but I can't see any mention of the functionality
> that auto switches the screens. I'm looking for the following functionality
>
> "Option "Twinview" "horizontal"|"vertical"|"leftof"|"aboveof"
> |"xinerama"|"none" sets the orientation of TwinView to map the tablet to one
> screen and to be able to move the screen cursor from one screen to the other
> when tool reaches the edge of the tablet."
>
> So has this been forgotten in the implementation of TwinView?

Re: Fw: TwinView on RHEL6.6

Peter Hutterer-3
Hi Grant,

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 10:18:09AM +1000, Grant Street wrote:

>    I can't seem to see the TwinView parameter anymore in RHEL6.6. It was
>    there in 6.2.
>
>    I understand that it may not be available in the gnome config app but I
>    can't even see it in the xsetwacom --list parameters. Am I going nuts?
>    Has that functionality been removed?
>
>    Ok so I found
>
>    http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Wacom_Tablet_Set_Up#Du
>    al_and_Multi-Monitor_Set_Up
>
>    and it says it has support but I can't see any mention of the
>    functionality that auto switches the screens. I'm looking for the
>    following functionality
>
>    "Option "Twinview" "horizontal"|"vertical"|"leftof"|"aboveof"
>    |"xinerama"|"none" sets the orientation of TwinView to map the tablet
>    to one screen and to be able to move the screen cursor from one screen
>    to the other when tool reaches the edge of the tablet."
>
>    So has this been forgotten in the implementation of TwinView?

sorry about the delay. Ping has already answered most of the questions, this
was indeed a feature that was removed and fed back into RHEL 6.4 when we had
the X.Org rebase to gain new HW support, etc.

The gnome control center provides an option to map the tablet to a specific
monitor (and that is NVIDIA compatible, i.e. works with the binary driver).
There is no option to toggle the screen on-the-fly in the current RHEL6
driver though. Please open a case with Red Hat's customer support and
request the feature for (re)inclusion. Maybe we can also figure out a
workaround that suits your workflow.

Cheers,
   Peter

Re: Fw: TwinView on RHEL6.6

Ping Cheng-2
Hi Grant,

I know your use cases. And I feel your pain.

Old wacomcpl provided some workaround to cover those use cases. Now
control panel is pushed to Gnome. While Gnome and the community is
catching up with feature requests, it takes time to implement the
features.

With that said, it helps Gnome (and RHEL) developers to prioritize
what features to work on if you file your bugs at Gnome and Red Hat
Bugzilla. "Display toggle" (cycle through monitors and the whole
desktop) and "Keep proportion" (map maximum potion of tablet to a
desktop/monitor area with the same x/y ratio) are two features used by
most graphic designers. But they are not supported by Gnome control
center. Please file those feature requests at Gnome Bugzilla.

For the time being, please use MapToOutput[1] to map the whole tablet
to a monitor. MapToOutput manipulates the display areas instead of the
input (tablet) area. It offers a chance to use the whole tablet, if we
choose a proper screen/display area.

Let us know if you need help to decide specific display areas.

Ping

[1] http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Dual_and_Multi-Monitor_Set_Up#MapToOutput

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Grant Street <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To give you some background .....
>
> Our artists use desktops with two screens side by side, with a combined screen resolution of 3820X1200.
> Some of our artists are painting/matte painting and when the tablet gets auto mapped to that ultrawide, low height screen resolution it causes their painting strokes to be distorted.
> To demonstrate this get a circular object like a jar lid, coin or small saucer etc and place it on the tablet. open up a painting app like gimp or KColorPaint and trace around the circular object and it looks like a rugby ball or a deflated soccer ball.
>
> To get around this issue there are two current methods
> 1. use a command like 'xsetwacom set "wdaemon: Wacom Intuos3 9x12" Area 0 0 60960 22860' . The area is calculated based on the maximum wacom resolution and fitting the screen width in the full width of the wacom and using that ratio to calculate how much of the wacom height is used.  This essentially makes about half the wacom unused. once calculated this could be set in wacomcpl in the old admin panel.
> 2. To use twin view horizontal. The wacom's aspect ratio fit's nicely to one screen and gives you the flexibility to not have to swap between mouse and tablet to swap the screens. this could be configured in wacomcpl in the old admin panel.
>
> when we have moved from 6.2 to 6.6 we have gained support of the latest wacoms but lost quite a bit of functionality.
> - We lost floating Wacom user configuration using NFS home directories
> - We lost Graphical screen area mapping
> - We lost Graphical Feel configurations
> - We lost Nvidia Twinview configuration
>
>  I understand that the original Dreamworks developers may not be supporting this any more but this is a bug in terms of lost behavior. I know the gnome solution looks better, and it may not have everything to start with, but this came out with RHEL6.3 or 6.4 which is more than a year ago. It was in fedora even before that. More than enough time to add this functionality back in.
>
> This is the frustrating thing with RHEL as a desktop platform, I love it's stability and thirdparty vendor software support but it's desktop peripheral support sucks. I logged a case with Redhat   on September 5, 2013 and it only made it in rhel 6.6 , 14 October 2014.
>
> Because of thirdparty software requirements we can't go to the latest RHEL7 or Fedora.
>
> I don't see the "Display Toggle" option where is that?
> If we shouldn't use xsetwacom is there a commandline method for interacting with XInput or gnome-wacom-properties that gives us the same functionality?
> The most flexible workaround at the moment would be to change the "MapTo Outptut" property triggered by a shortcut key and trigger the shortcut key using  a wacom button press. Any other thoughts?
>
> Thanks for your reply, It's just frustrating that wacom and redhat don't work together more to make both products work better.
>
> Grant

Re: Fw: TwinView on RHEL6.6

Grant Street-2
created two Redhat cases
01434364 unable to set the wacom active area called tracking in wacomcpl Red Hat Enterprise Linux / 6.6 Waiting on Red Hat 3 (Normal)
01433643 Wacom twinview horizontal functionality no longer availible Red Hat Enterprise Linux / 6.6 Waiting on Red Hat 2 (High)

to add to the existing case
00998175 Wacom preferences are per host not per user Red Hat Enterprise Linux / 6.4

Forgive me for not holding my breath. Reported the bug where Wacom preferences are per host not per user in December 2013. The latest is that it MAY be included in 6.7.

I know there is little you can do Ping, I just thought Redhat would liaise with wacom before a new tablet comes out, so support is available at launch. I thought that Redhat would talk to Wacom about the features that would be needed before replacing the UI. I thought Redhat would look at the current functionality and at least get parity.

> [...]

> Because of thirdparty software requirements we can't go to the latest RHEL7 or Fedora.
>
> I don't see the "Display Toggle" option where is that?
> If we shouldn't use xsetwacom is there a commandline method for interacting with XInput or gnome-wacom-properties that gives us the same functionality?
> The most flexible workaround at the moment would be to change the "MapTo Outptut" property triggered by a shortcut key and trigger the shortcut key using  a wacom button press. Any other thoughts?
>
> Thanks for your reply, It's just frustrating that wacom and redhat don't work together more to make both products work better.

Re: Fw: TwinView on RHEL6.6

Peter Hutterer-3
Hi Grant,

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 03:47:18AM +0000, Grant Street wrote:

> created two Redhat cases
> 01434364 unable to set the wacom active area called tracking in wacomcpl Red Hat Enterprise Linux / 6.6 Waiting on Red Hat 3 (Normal)
> 01433643 Wacom twinview horizontal functionality no longer availible Red Hat Enterprise Linux / 6.6 Waiting on Red Hat 2 (High)
>
> to add to the existing case
> 00998175 Wacom preferences are per host not per user Red Hat Enterprise Linux / 6.4
>
> Forgive me for not holding my breath. Reported the bug where Wacom
> preferences are per host not per user in December 2013. The latest is that
> it MAY be included in 6.7.
>
> I know there is little you can do Ping, I just thought Redhat would liaise
> with wacom before a new tablet comes out, so support is available at
> launch. I thought that Redhat would talk to Wacom about the features that
> would be needed before replacing the UI. I thought Redhat would look at
> the current functionality and at least get parity.

We do liason quite a fair bit (note: I am the Red Hat wacom driver
maintainer), both in terms of talking about upcoming hardware and software
but also in terms of figuring out how to get things to work the best.

To give you a bit of background: the wacomcpl tool that was provided with
RHEL 6.0 was struggling with a lot of contemporary setups. It does not deal
with hotplugged input devices (which is the norm these days), requiring the
user to run scripts or re-configure after every hotplug event.
Note: I was the one who ported wacomcpl to even work at all with the X
server shipped in RHEL6.0

The GNOME wacom panel that we added upstream and backported to RHEL6 not
only fixes this, but adds much better and more integrated handling of
graphics tablets in to the desktop as a whole.

Achieving feature parity with wacomcpl is difficult. Some of the features
didn't work at all anymore due to upstream X server changes or driver
changes. Other features such as the per-pen configuration didn't exist in
wacomcpl (iirc). And finally, other features are mutually exclusive.
The host-transparent preferences you require contrasts with the one we
implemented where a shared home directory would remember the settings
of each machine separately. Which, as you can guess, was also done at the
request of a customer.

So I apologise that we lost out on functionality for you. We do aim to give
everyone a better experience, sometimes knowing what is needed can be the
most difficult bit though.

Cheers,
   Peter

Re: Fw: TwinView on RHEL6.6

James Pearson
Peter Hutterer wrote:

> Hi Grant,
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 03:47:18AM +0000, Grant Street wrote:
>
>>created two Redhat cases
>>01434364 unable to set the wacom active area called tracking in wacomcpl Red Hat Enterprise Linux / 6.6 Waiting on Red Hat 3 (Normal)
>>01433643 Wacom twinview horizontal functionality no longer availible Red Hat Enterprise Linux / 6.6 Waiting on Red Hat 2 (High)
>>
>>to add to the existing case
>>00998175 Wacom preferences are per host not per user Red Hat Enterprise Linux / 6.4
>>
>>Forgive me for not holding my breath. Reported the bug where Wacom
>>preferences are per host not per user in December 2013. The latest is that
>>it MAY be included in 6.7

> So I apologise that we lost out on functionality for you. We do aim to give
> everyone a better experience, sometimes knowing what is needed can be the
> most difficult bit though.

Just to add to this, I've created a number of Redhat Bugzilla reports
about various regressions in the Gnome Wacom control panel wrt to
wacomcpl - I know BZ reports are not Redhat support cases, but for
reference they are:

BZ 1194631 - Touch option missing in Wacom control panel
BZ 994433 - Can't map single meta keys to buttons in the Wacom control
panel
BZ 966658 - User Wacom preferences are per host in 6.4
BZ 956740 - Track option missing in Wacom control panel

There is also:

BZ 855294 -  Add an option to set Tablet PC mode in Wacom plugin for
gnome-control-center

May be these could be a starting point for a list of 'what is needed' :-)

Thanks

James Pearson

Re: Fw: TwinView on RHEL6.6

Grant Street-2
Thank you James that is a good starting point :-)