Quantcast

Fwd: New "active pen" support?

postdoc38
Hello,

I've used a Lenovo X230T for quite some time, and have been a big fan of its wacom stylus, and it's very good Linux support, thanks a lot!! Unfortunately, the screen is dying, so I am looking for a replacement.

Lenovo has introduced new ThinkPad Yoga models at CES in January, including 14" and 15" versions that look promising, but are said to contain a new wacom "active pen" technology (from what I gather, this pen will be battery powered ).

Any thoughts about what the Linux support for this new thing will be? Will there need to be a new driver (and the associated development time)?

Again, thanks a lot for your work,

Guillaume

Re: Fwd: New "active pen" support?

Jason Gerecke
On 3/12/2015 12:26 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've used a Lenovo X230T for quite some time, and have been a big fan of
> its wacom stylus, and it's very good Linux support, thanks a lot!!
> Unfortunately, the screen is dying, so I am looking for a replacement.
>
> Lenovo has introduced new ThinkPad Yoga models at CES in January,
> including 14" and 15" versions that look promising, but are said to
> contain a new wacom "active pen" technology (from what I gather, this
> pen will be battery powered ).
>
> Any thoughts about what the Linux support for this new thing will be?
> Will there need to be a new driver (and the associated development time)?
>
> Again, thanks a lot for your work,
>
> Guillaume

The difficult thing about these new "active pen" devices isn't the
protocol (which is actually very similar to what is used by its EMR
cousins), but rather the fact that I believe most of them are connected
over an "I2C" bus. Until recently, or driver could only communicate with
USB devices. We (luckily) spent a lot of time last year moving our
driver from the kernel's USB subsystem to its HID subsystem, which can
communicate with devices on both kinds of bus.

These devices are still very new and as far as I know, nobody has gotten
in touch with us to try and get the driver working. With luck, we hope
things will "just work" in Linux 4.1 (and with our input-wacom driver
installed, as far back as Linux 3.17).

If you're looking at getting one of these devices, we'd be happy to
provide instructions on compiling and installing a sufficiently-updated
driver, but do realize you'd probably be one of the first users so
there's a chance that some debugging would have to be done.

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
(That is to say, eight) to the two, /
But you can’t take seven from three, /

Re: Fwd: New "active pen" support?

postdoc38

> The difficult thing about these new "active pen" devices isn't the
> protocol (which is actually very similar to what is used by its EMR
> cousins), but rather the fact that I believe most of them are connected
> over an "I2C" bus. Until recently, our driver could only communicate with
> USB devices. We (luckily) spent a lot of time last year moving our
> driver from the kernel's USB subsystem to its HID subsystem, which can
> communicate with devices on both kinds of bus.
>
> These devices are still very new and as far as I know, nobody has gotten
> in touch with us to try and get the driver working. With luck, we hope
> things will "just work" in Linux 4.1 (and with our input-wacom driver
> installed, as far back as Linux 3.17).
>
> If you're looking at getting one of these devices, we'd be happy to
> provide instructions on compiling and installing a sufficiently-updated
> driver, but do realize you'd probably be one of the first users so
> there's a chance that some debugging would have to be done.

Thanks for the heads up, Jason. As far as I know, those new models haven't come out yet (at least not with the active pen option).

If I do get one in the future, I'd be more than happy to contribute to making it work...

Cheers,

Guillaume