How to define touch gesture with xsetwacom or xorg.conf file

How to define touch gesture with xsetwacom or xorg.conf file

Camille Bissuel
Hi Linux Wacom list,

I just subscribed to this list to ask a question : I'm trying to set up a correct touch support in Krita with a Wacom Intuos PT M tablet... by default it's wrongly setup (no way to pan or rotate for example, and I have no use for horizontal or vertical scrolling in this context).

I definitely read that :
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Multitouch

and for compatibility purposes, for now I just want to stick with "Two finger Gestures" (2FG). Multitouch do not seem to be really enabled nowadays under linux.
But is there a way to set it up ?

By default it's doing :
  • Right click - one finger down + tap second finger
  • Vertical scroll - two fingers side by side (e.g. index + second), move up or down holding constant distance between fingers.
  • Horizontal scroll - two fingers side by side (e.g. index + second), move left or right holding constant distance between fingers.
  • Zoom in - two separated fingers side by side (e.g. thumb + index), bring together i.e. pinch.
  • Zoom out - two fingers side by side (e.g. thumb + index), spread.

I can switch off or on touch or gestures with a command like :
xsetwacom --set "Wacom Intuos PT M Finger touch" Gesture off

I can define acceleration profile with xinput...

But is there a command like :
xsetwacom --set "Wacom Intuos PT M Finger touch" Gesture 1FingerDrag Middle click

to set up the gesture like we can do for ExpressKeys Buttons ?

after several hours searching, I guess the answer is no, but I'd like to ear it from someone else... !

Additional question : what is the recommended way for wacom touch event set up under linux ? touchegg ? It seem to work only in a KDE environment for me, and I'm a Gnome user ...

Thanks a lot in advance for your support,
Camille

Re: How to define touch gesture with xsetwacom or xorg.conf file

Jason Gerecke
On 1/23/2015 7:15 AM, Camille Bissuel wrote:
[...]

Camille,

As you've guessed, there is no way to (with just the driver/xsetwacom) define alternate actions for specific gestures. In-driver gestures are a bit of a stopgap while the Linux desktop sorts itself out, so we aren't planning on doing too much development on that front...

Normally I would have recommended touchegg -- it provides exactly the kind of configuration that you desire and can do quite a bit. I've used it successfully with GNOME in the past, but as you say it doesn't seem to work anymore. I wonder if the GNOME's recent (3.14) support for basic gestures is interfering with touchegg? Have you tried contacting either touchegg or GNOME for their thoughts?
you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
(That is to say, eight) to the two, /
But you can’t take seven from three, /

Re: How to define touch gesture with xsetwacom or xorg.conf file

Knapp

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 7:31 PM, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 1/23/2015 7:15 AM, Camille Bissuel wrote:
Hi Linux Wacom list,

I just subscribed to this list to ask a question : I'm trying to set up a correct touch support in Krita with a Wacom Intuos PT M tablet... by default it's wrongly setup (no way to pan or rotate for example, and I have no use for horizontal or vertical scrolling in this context).

If you work out good settings for Krita,  I would love to have a copy!  I am working with settings for blender (linux) but having a hard time getting keys to send the right characters and have been thinking that I need a different set for each mode of blender.
Thanks!

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer:
http://douglas.bespin.org/tcm/ztab1.htm

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.

Re: How to define touch gesture with xsetwacom or xorg.conf file

Camille Bissuel
Thanks for your answer Jason ;)

I haven't discuss that on the gnome or touchegg side yet, I wanted to make sure there was no "official" way before ;)

I'll continue my investigation and let you know.

@Knapp my first tests show that we can certainly do something with touchegg and Krita... The first step is to disable the wacom two fingers driver as explained in the wiki... and then do a setup with custom keys assigned to gestures in touchegg. The default is not working very well, so it definitely need some intensive testing. I'll let you know if I can obtain a useful setup. The current problem I have is that it disable touch input in the whole gnome environment.

Have a nice week end !
Camille

[...]

Hi all,

I got the answer on the Gnome side :  with 3.14, Touchscreens are supported, and touchpads support (including Wacom I suppose) is planned for 3.16, and refer to a bug you reported Jason.
So hopefully Gnome be get support in March... If someone with the skills can do it.

In the meantime, under Gnome we can choose to use the 2 fingers wacom driver everywhere or (exclusive or) touchegg for Krita, and Qt apps in general.

I'm more interested in the second, so I'll share a config file as soon as possible ;)

Cheers,
Camille

[...]

a link to my more or less working solution with touchégg : https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=122211

Cheers,