How to stop zooming when trying to scroll

How to stop zooming when trying to scroll

seanh
Hi,

I'm using a Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Ubuntu 14.04 (I followed
this answer http://askubuntu.com/a/531188/375819 including the
comments about adding MatchIsTablet "on" to get it working). I'm
having a problem that very often when I'm trying to use the two-finger
scroll gesture I'll accidentally trigger the pinch to zoom in or out
gesture. For example when scrolling a long web page in Chrome, I'll do
the two-finger scroll gesture repeatedly, it will _always_ end up
zooming the page a lot as well. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips
on how to tune this?

There's nothing about it in the Wacom Tablet dialog in System
Settings, so I tried playing with xsetwacom. I changed the
ZoomDistance (which I understand as how far from each other your
fingers have to move, for it to be read as a pinch gesture) from 50 to
1000, then to 100000. And I changed the ScrollDistance from  30 to 5.
Reasoning that decreasing the sensitivity with which zoom gestures are
detected, and increasing the sensitivity for scroll gestures, would
help. No luck - scrolling through a web page still zooms it. In fact I
don't think either of the commands made any difference at all.
Terminal output:

$ xsetwacom --list devices
Wacom Co.,Ltd. Bamboo Pad, wireless stylus id: 9 type: STYLUS
Wacom Co.,Ltd. Bamboo Pad, wireless eraser id: 20 type: ERASER
Wacom Co.,Ltd. Bamboo Pad, wireless pad id: 21 type: PAD

$ xsetwacom set 21 ZoomDistance 1000

$ xsetwacom set 21 ScrollDistance 5

The alternative would be to completely disable the zoom in and out
gestures, which would be a shame but they're not actually very useful
on a desktop computer anyway (whereas scroll is very important to get
right).

Re: How to stop zooming when trying to scroll

Jason Gerecke
On 5/12/2015 12:47 AM, seanh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using a Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Ubuntu 14.04 (I followed
> this answer http://askubuntu.com/a/531188/375819 including the
> comments about adding MatchIsTablet "on" to get it working). I'm
> having a problem that very often when I'm trying to use the two-finger
> scroll gesture I'll accidentally trigger the pinch to zoom in or out
> gesture. For example when scrolling a long web page in Chrome, I'll do
> the two-finger scroll gesture repeatedly, it will _always_ end up
> zooming the page a lot as well. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips
> on how to tune this?
>
> There's nothing about it in the Wacom Tablet dialog in System
> Settings, so I tried playing with xsetwacom. I changed the
> ZoomDistance (which I understand as how far from each other your
> fingers have to move, for it to be read as a pinch gesture) from 50 to
> 1000, then to 100000. And I changed the ScrollDistance from  30 to 5.
> Reasoning that decreasing the sensitivity with which zoom gestures are
> detected, and increasing the sensitivity for scroll gestures, would
> help. No luck - scrolling through a web page still zooms it. In fact I
> don't think either of the commands made any difference at all.
> Terminal output:
>
> $ xsetwacom --list devices
> Wacom Co.,Ltd. Bamboo Pad, wireless stylus id: 9 type: STYLUS
> Wacom Co.,Ltd. Bamboo Pad, wireless eraser id: 20 type: ERASER
> Wacom Co.,Ltd. Bamboo Pad, wireless pad id: 21 type: PAD
>
> $ xsetwacom set 21 ZoomDistance 1000
>
> $ xsetwacom set 21 ScrollDistance 5
>
> The alternative would be to completely disable the zoom in and out
> gestures, which would be a shame but they're not actually very useful
> on a desktop computer anyway (whereas scroll is very important to get
> right).

Unfortunately, in your particular case, this is more a hardware issue
than a driver issue. By default (that is, without any special kernel
support, like when using the workaround for Ubuntu 14.04) the touch pad
presents itself to the system as a mouse and a keyboard. If you use a
single finger, it sends mouse events to the system; if you use multiple
fingers, it tries to determine what gesture you're performing and sends
a keyboard event (e.g. "up arrow" to scroll, or "CTRL+PLUS" to zoom).
Our X driver doesn't work with mice or keyboards, so it isn't able to
control the tablet at all :(

A fix which forces the Bamboo Pad to present itself as a touchpad should
make its way into the Linux 4.1 release due in about a month, but that
doesn't really do you any good right now. The fix has also been added to
our input-wacom 0.27 driver, but only works with Linux 3.17 and later.
Its a bit of a hassle, but you could try upgrading to Ubuntu 15.04 (or
installing its kernel: `apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-vivid`)
and then following the instructions[1] to install input-wacom.
Theoretically, you'd then see a new "TOUCH" device in the xsetwacom list
that would respond to the ZoomDistance and ScrollDistance options. Note
that if you do decide to go this route, you should make sure that you
remove the workaround for 14.04 since its incompatible with the 15.04
kernel.

[1]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
(That is to say, eight) to the two, /
But you can’t take seven from three, /

On 12 May 2015 at 18:24, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A fix which forces the Bamboo Pad to present itself as a touchpad should
> make its way into the Linux 4.1 release due in about a month, but that
> doesn't really do you any good right now. The fix has also been added to
> our input-wacom 0.27 driver, but only works with Linux 3.17 and later.
> Its a bit of a hassle, but you could try upgrading to Ubuntu 15.04 (or
> installing its kernel: `apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-vivid`)
> and then following the instructions[1] to install input-wacom.

Ah, so Ubuntu 15.04 has Linux 3.17+ and can use input-wacom 0.27?
Upgrading to that is something I can do. I can test it out on a
bootable USB first. I'll give it a try when I have time (I'll need a
few hours I guess).

> that if you do decide to go this route, you should make sure that you
> remove the workaround for 14.04 since its incompatible with the 15.04
> kernel.

Noted! Thanks :)

Re: How to stop zooming when trying to scroll

seanh
Just tried this out on an Ubuntu 15.04 Live USB and it works! Thanks
again. Install the input-wacom 0.27 driver and the Bamboo Pad suddenly
starts working, appears in the Wacom System Settings, etc.
ScrollDistance and other xsetwacom settings work.

The three buttons on the bottom of the trackpad didn't seem to be
working though.

Should I uninstall the xserver-xorg-input-wacom package, before
manually installing this driver? The package is installed by default.
Also, should I install the latest xf86-input-wacom X driver from
source, as well as the kernel driver?

In playing around with it I still find the scroll gesture not very
easy to use. With an Apple Magic Trackpad (on Ubuntu) you can scroll
in a web browser by doing a two-finger flicking gesture - two fingers
make contact with the trackpad for a brief moment then flick out and
upwards, causing a scroll. You can do this multiple times repeatedly
in quick succession to scroll a page a long way quickly, and at any
time just hold one or two fingers still on the trackpad to stop the
scrolling. It works very well - the gesture is never misinterpreted as
a zoom or click.

With the Bamboo Pad with the new input-wacom driver, this gesture
won't be recognised as a scroll. You have to do it much more slowly
and deliberately - place two fingers on the trackpad, hold them there
for a second, then move them more slowly outward keeping them in
contact with the trackpad, the fingers move some distance before
scrolling kicks in. It's a much slower and more cumbersome gesture and
if you try to do it repeatedly in quick succession it's often
misinterpreted as a right-click or a zoom. It was much better with the
new version of the input-wacom 0.27 driver on Ubuntu 15.04 than
without it on Ubuntu 14.04, but still not as good as the Magic
Trackpad.

Is this a hardware issue, or can it potentially be tuned? I couldn't
find any xsetwacom settings that seemed to help with it.

One thing I preferred about the Bamboo Pad on 15.04 over the Magic
Trackpad is that it's much more sensitive. It responds to the mouse
speed setting in System Settings, and its maximum speed is much higher
than the Magic Trackpad's.

> [...]

> installing its kernel: `apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-vivid`)
> and then following the instructions[1] to install input-wacom.
> Theoretically, you'd then see a new "TOUCH" device in the xsetwacom list
> that would respond to the ZoomDistance and ScrollDistance options. Note
> that if you do decide to go this route, you should make sure that you
> remove the workaround for 14.04 since its incompatible with the 15.04
> kernel.
>
> [1]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom
>
> --
> Jason
> ---
> Now instead of four in the eights place /
> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
> (That is to say, eight) to the two, /
> But you can’t take seven from three, /
> So you look at the sixty-fours....

Re: How to stop zooming when trying to scroll

Don't uninstall the xserver-xorg-input-wacom package: its Ubuntu's name
for the xf86-input-wacom driver and is necessary to have the tablet work
as expected under X. You could install the latest xf86-input-wacom
driver from source if you really wanted (overwriting the files provided
by xserver-xorg-input-wacom), but there have been very few changes made
and I wouldn't recommend it.

As for the button issue, I'm pretty sure its caused by a limitation in
some of the GNOME infrastructure that Ubuntu is building on. If you open
up the Wacom Tablet preferences in your Settings, you should be able to
click the "Map Buttons" button and assign them to perform keyboard
shortcuts. If you'd prefer they act as a mouse left/right click, you
need to disable the GUI Wacom plugin and then logout/login (the driver
can still be configured with xsetwacom and xorg.conf.d snippets):

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.gsdwacom active false

I don't have a Bamboo Pad so I'm not sure how good the touch sensor is
or if there are limitations to its use. It might very well be possible
to add a flick gesture like this to xf86-input-wacom, but we're really
hesitant to do too much gesture work since GNOME, KDE, and Unity are
also working on getting the desktop to react to touchpad gestures.

Actually, if you really want to use the same gesture you use with the
Magic Trackpad, there might actually be a way (and it probably would
also fix the button issue). Because the touchpad bit of the device is
pretty standard, you should be able to create an xorg.conf.d snippet to
force the touchpad to be handled by the xf86-input-evdev driver which
(...I assume...) powers the Magic Trackpad. Create a new
`/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-bamboopad.conf` file, fill it with the
following contents, and logout/login.

Section "InputClass"
         Identifier "Bamboo Pad Touchpad"
         MatchUSBID "056a:0318"
         MatchIsTouchpad "on"
         Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
         Identifier "Bamboo Pad Wireless Touchpad"
         MatchUSBID "056a:0319"
         MatchIsTouchpad "on"
         Driver "evdev"
EndSection

I'm not 100% sure that the syntax above is right. If it doesn't work,
try removing the two lines that start "MatchIsTouchpad" and then
logout/login again -- it'll probably cause the pen to stop working but I
can give you a fix in that case :) If it /still/ doesn't work, then I'd
probably need to examine your Xorg log files...

On 5/16/2015 4:59 AM, seanh wrote:

> [...]
>> installing its kernel: `apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-vivid`)
>> and then following the instructions[1] to install input-wacom.
>> Theoretically, you'd then see a new "TOUCH" device in the xsetwacom list
>> that would respond to the ZoomDistance and ScrollDistance options. Note
>> that if you do decide to go this route, you should make sure that you
>> remove the workaround for 14.04 since its incompatible with the 15.04
>> kernel.
>>
>> [1]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom
>>
>> --
>> Jason
>> ---
>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
>> (That is to say, eight) to the two, /
>> But you can’t take seven from three, /
>> So you look at the sixty-fours....

Re: How to stop zooming when trying to scroll

I finally got around to trying this out with my Bamboo Pad on Ubuntu 15.04:

On 20 May 2015 at 01:17, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As for the button issue, I'm pretty sure its caused by a limitation in
> some of the GNOME infrastructure that Ubuntu is building on. If you open
> up the Wacom Tablet preferences in your Settings, you should be able to
> click the "Map Buttons" button and assign them to perform keyboard
> shortcuts. If you'd prefer they act as a mouse left/right click, you
> need to disable the GUI Wacom plugin and then logout/login (the driver
> can still be configured with xsetwacom and xorg.conf.d snippets):
>
> gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.gsdwacom active false

I've not go "Map Buttons" in Wacom settings. The gsettings command
doesn't seem to work - the buttons on the touchpad still don't work.

> Actually, if you really want to use the same gesture you use with the
> Magic Trackpad, there might actually be a way (and it probably would
> also fix the button issue). Because the touchpad bit of the device is
> pretty standard, you should be able to create an xorg.conf.d snippet to
> force the touchpad to be handled by the xf86-input-evdev driver which
> (...I assume...) powers the Magic Trackpad. Create a new
> `/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-bamboopad.conf` file, fill it with the
> following contents, and logout/login.
>
> Section "InputClass"
>          Identifier "Bamboo Pad Touchpad"
>          MatchUSBID "056a:0318"
>          MatchIsTouchpad "on"
>          Driver "evdev"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputClass"
>          Identifier "Bamboo Pad Wireless Touchpad"
>          MatchUSBID "056a:0319"
>          MatchIsTouchpad "on"
>          Driver "evdev"
> EndSection

This gets the buttons on the touchpad working, but the touchpad itself
stops working for moving the mouse pointer etc.

> I'm not 100% sure that the syntax above is right. If it doesn't work,
> try removing the two lines that start "MatchIsTouchpad" and then
> logout/login again

Same result.