Integrating adonit stylus

David Farrell
Hi folks,

I have an adonit jot pixel bluetooth stylus. Using someone else's code
(source http://gerev.github.io/laptop-cintiq/) I have it working with
uinput, posting ABS_PRESSURE and BTN_1/2 event codes and so on. I'm
running upstream.

What I'm wondering is, is there a way for me to integrate it into
linuxwacom please?

Also, can you help clarify something for me? The pen only reports its
pressure and button presses; in your experience should I also channel
the input events for the touchscreen via the stylus events? In other
words, should the pen input event also report ABS_X and ABS_Y, or is
better to leave that reported by the touchscreen input?

Many thanks in advance

David

Re: Integrating adonit stylus

Peter Hutterer-3
On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 01:45:00PM -0500, David Farrell wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have an adonit jot pixel bluetooth stylus. Using someone else's code
> (source http://gerev.github.io/laptop-cintiq/) I have it working with
> uinput, posting ABS_PRESSURE and BTN_1/2 event codes and so on. I'm
> running upstream.
>
> What I'm wondering is, is there a way for me to integrate it into
> linuxwacom please?
>
> Also, can you help clarify something for me? The pen only reports its
> pressure and button presses; in your experience should I also channel
> the input events for the touchscreen via the stylus events? In other
> words, should the pen input event also report ABS_X and ABS_Y, or is
> better to leave that reported by the touchscreen input?

First: the linuxwacom project handles graphics tablets, primarily those from
Wacom (mostly by virtue of the developers involed). It has three parts, the
kernel bits (though most of those are handled upstream and the repo here is
primarily a collections of backports), the xorg driver and libwacom, the
descriptive library.

The adonit pen is a special case in that it's not really a tablet, it's
merely a pen that provides ressure and needs to be combined with the
touchscreen input to provide the full actual event data.

That's out-of-scope for linuxwacom because it requires *some* additional
bits to combine the two. it can't go into the kernel, it can't go into the
xorg driver because there's no guarantee that driver controls the
touchscreen in question. The uinput daemon is an interesting stopgap
solution though but also out-of-scope.

Long-term, the only place I can see where this could work is libinput,
simply by merit of it being the expected full input stack controlling all
devices. This can also easily handle the case of supporting touchscreen +
pen at the same time. For that to work though, the bluetooth pen needs a
kernel driver. Unless it's accessible through evdev, libinput won't be able
to handle it well.

Cheers,
   Peter

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 10:19:30AM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 01:45:00PM -0500, David Farrell wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have an adonit jot pixel bluetooth stylus. Using someone else's code
> > (source http://gerev.github.io/laptop-cintiq/) I have it working with
> > uinput, posting ABS_PRESSURE and BTN_1/2 event codes and so on. I'm
> > running upstream.
> >
> > What I'm wondering is, is there a way for me to integrate it into
> > linuxwacom please?
> >
> > Also, can you help clarify something for me? The pen only reports its
> > pressure and button presses; in your experience should I also channel
> > the input events for the touchscreen via the stylus events? In other
> > words, should the pen input event also report ABS_X and ABS_Y, or is
> > better to leave that reported by the touchscreen input?
>
> First: the linuxwacom project handles graphics tablets, primarily those from
> Wacom (mostly by virtue of the developers involed). It has three parts, the
> kernel bits (though most of those are handled upstream and the repo here is
> primarily a collections of backports), the xorg driver and libwacom, the
> descriptive library.
>
> The adonit pen is a special case in that it's not really a tablet, it's
> merely a pen that provides ressure and needs to be combined with the
> touchscreen input to provide the full actual event data.
>
> That's out-of-scope for linuxwacom because it requires *some* additional
> bits to combine the two. it can't go into the kernel, it can't go into the
> xorg driver because there's no guarantee that driver controls the
> touchscreen in question. The uinput daemon is an interesting stopgap
> solution though but also out-of-scope.
>
> Long-term, the only place I can see where this could work is libinput,
> simply by merit of it being the expected full input stack controlling all
> devices. This can also easily handle the case of supporting touchscreen +
> pen at the same time. For that to work though, the bluetooth pen needs a
> kernel driver. Unless it's accessible through evdev, libinput won't be able
> to handle it well.

follow-up from that:
I proposed the above as a GSoC project for X.Org. If anyone's interested in
working on this, please get in contact with me.

https://www.x.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas/

Cheers,
   Peter