Intuos2 (USB) doesn't survive hotplugging

Intuos2 (USB) doesn't survive hotplugging

C.I. Britten
Debian Jessie 8.1
Kernel version = 3.16.0-4-amd64
xf86-input-wacom version = 0.26.0

This is on a multiboot system (via GRUB) that survives hotplugging just fine when booted into Win7SP2 (and when running Debian Jessie in a VirtualBox within that Win7SP1 instance, FWIW).  So anyway it's not a hardware issue.

The Intuos2 works just fine on initial boot, and upon reboot.  After a hotplug event, the Intuos2's red light comes on but nobody's home -- there's no response from the stylus.  Logging out and back in doesn't help -- after hotplugging, it seems that only a reboot restores the Intuos2 to working order.

The keyboard and mouse both survive hotplugging.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Re: Intuos2 (USB) doesn't survive hotplugging

Jason Gerecke
On 8/12/2015 1:02 AM, C.I. Britten wrote:

> Debian Jessie 8.1
> Kernel version = 3.16.0-4-amd64
> xf86-input-wacom version = 0.26.0
>
> This is on a multiboot system (via GRUB) that survives hotplugging just
> fine when booted into Win7SP2 (and when running Debian Jessie in a
> VirtualBox within that Win7SP1 instance, FWIW).  So anyway it's not a
> hardware issue.
>
> The Intuos2 works just fine on initial boot, and upon reboot.  After a
> hotplug event, the Intuos2's red light comes on but nobody's home --
> there's no response from the stylus.  Logging out and back in doesn't
> help -- after hotplugging, it seems that only a reboot restores the
> Intuos2 to working order.
>
> The keyboard and mouse both survive hotplugging.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Does the tablet still show up in the output of `xsetwacom list`? If so,
you're likely being bit by bug #247 [1]. IIRC, a kernel update somewhere
outside of our driver broke hotplugging for the Intuos2 and we haven't
had the resources to track down the root cause. Probably the easiest
thing to do would be to compile a special branch of the "input-wacom"
kernel driver which works around the issue by forcing the serial number
to be non-zero.

You can find general information on how to compile and install
"input-wacom" at [2]. Since we haven't pushed this hack to Sourceforge
though, the specific instructions are a little different:

$ git clone git://github.com/jigpu/input-wacom.git
$ cd input-wacom
$ git checkout fix/i2-no-serial-v2
$ ./autogen.sh
$ make
$ sudo make install
<reboot>

[1]: http://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/bugs/247/
[2]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
(That is to say, eight) to the two, /
But you can’t take seven from three, /