Intuos2 on Xubuntu 15.10 - no events/cursor movement

Intuos2 on Xubuntu 15.10 - no events/cursor movement

Gareth Edwards
Hi there,

I recently acquired an Intuos2 9x12 tablet with a view to using it
with Krita on my 64-bit Xubuntu box. However, I can't seem to get any
useful operation out of it - no X cursor movement when I apply the
stylus to the tablet.

It was sold to me untested so there is still the possibility there is
a hardware fault but I'd like to rule out driver/software issues
before giving up on it. Here's the facts:

- on plugging into the machine the amber LED comes on, which turns
green on stylus application, button press and eraser application to
the tablet as expected (I'm using a new-old-stock Intuos2 classic pen
with it) - everything looks as it should do on the hardware, in other
words.
- Xubuntu is 15.10 Wily amd64 with all updates applied
- kernel details:
gareth@comte:~$ uname -a
Linux comte 4.2.0-35-generic #40-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 15 22:15:45 UTC
2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
- packages xserver-xorg-input-wacom and xserver-xorg-input-wacom-dbg
1:0.30.0-0ubuntu3 installed
- lsusb is sensible:

gareth@comte:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 056a:0043 Wacom Co., Ltd Intuos2 9x12

- wacom kernel driver is loaded:

from dmesg:
[    1.792118] input: Wacom Intuos2 9x12 Pen as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-5/1-5:1.0/0003:056A:0043.0003/input/input6
[    1.792541] wacom 0003:056A:0043.0003: hidraw2: USB HID v1.00 Mouse
[Tablet XD-0912-U] on usb-0000:00:14.0-5/input0

gareth@comte:~$ lsmod | grep wacom
wacom                  81920  0
hid                   118784  6
wacom,hid_generic,usbhid,hid_logitech_dj,hid_logitech_hidpp

- xfce-settings shows pointing devices for Intuos2 cursor, eraser and
stylus and all are enabled.

- I think this is the important observation: evemu-record shows no
events coming from the device, whether running in X or switched to a
seperate virtual terminal. fuser shows that nothing else has locked
the device so I don't think it's a process grab.

This is perhaps pointing to (at least) a kernel driver level issue. Is
there a way I can dump the raw stream of data from the USB subsystem
or something like that to find out if the coordinate events are even
making it as far as the PC? Or is there something else I should try?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Gareth

Re: Intuos2 on Xubuntu 15.10 - no events/cursor movement

Marcelo Lacerda
You should see a bunch of trash when you do a:

sudo cat /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-5/1-5:1.0/0003:056A:0043.0003/input/input6

and move the pen over the tablet. Try that!

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 8:20 AM, Gareth Edwards
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I recently acquired an Intuos2 9x12 tablet with a view to using it
> with Krita on my 64-bit Xubuntu box. However, I can't seem to get any
> useful operation out of it - no X cursor movement when I apply the
> stylus to the tablet.
>
> It was sold to me untested so there is still the possibility there is
> a hardware fault but I'd like to rule out driver/software issues
> before giving up on it. Here's the facts:
>
> - on plugging into the machine the amber LED comes on, which turns
> green on stylus application, button press and eraser application to
> the tablet as expected (I'm using a new-old-stock Intuos2 classic pen
> with it) - everything looks as it should do on the hardware, in other
> words.
> - Xubuntu is 15.10 Wily amd64 with all updates applied
> - kernel details:
> gareth@comte:~$ uname -a
> Linux comte 4.2.0-35-generic #40-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 15 22:15:45 UTC
> 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> - packages xserver-xorg-input-wacom and xserver-xorg-input-wacom-dbg
> 1:0.30.0-0ubuntu3 installed
> - lsusb is sensible:
>
> gareth@comte:~$ lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 056a:0043 Wacom Co., Ltd Intuos2 9x12
>
> - wacom kernel driver is loaded:
>
> from dmesg:
> [    1.792118] input: Wacom Intuos2 9x12 Pen as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-5/1-5:1.0/0003:056A:0043.0003/input/input6
> [    1.792541] wacom 0003:056A:0043.0003: hidraw2: USB HID v1.00 Mouse
> [Tablet XD-0912-U] on usb-0000:00:14.0-5/input0
>
> gareth@comte:~$ lsmod | grep wacom
> wacom                  81920  0
> hid                   118784  6
> wacom,hid_generic,usbhid,hid_logitech_dj,hid_logitech_hidpp
>
> - xfce-settings shows pointing devices for Intuos2 cursor, eraser and
> stylus and all are enabled.
>
> - I think this is the important observation: evemu-record shows no
> events coming from the device, whether running in X or switched to a
> seperate virtual terminal. fuser shows that nothing else has locked
> the device so I don't think it's a process grab.
>
> This is perhaps pointing to (at least) a kernel driver level issue. Is
> there a way I can dump the raw stream of data from the USB subsystem
> or something like that to find out if the coordinate events are even
> making it as far as the PC? Or is there something else I should try?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Cheers
> Gareth

Re: Intuos2 on Xubuntu 15.10 - no events/cursor movement

Jason Gerecke
First, please note that we don't really support the Intuos2 anymore.
There seem to be hardware bugs in these old devices that aren't worth
working around given the age of the device. If you do ever get your
tablet detected, you'll probably run into bug #309 [1] which will
require you to patch xf86-input-wacom to get it working under X.

That said, you can use the "hid-recorder" [2] which will print out
events seen by the HID subsystem and which are passed to our kernel
driver. To dive a layer deeper than that, you can capture raw USB
events using either use the "usbmon" [3] kernel module, or Wireshark
if you have it. Below that, you'll probably need an oscilloscope :D

[1]: https://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/bugs/309/?limit=25
[2]: https://bentiss.github.io/hid-replay-docs/
[3]: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt

On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Marcelo Lacerda
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> You should see a bunch of trash when you do a:
>
> sudo cat /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-5/1-5:1.0/0003:056A:0043.0003/input/input6
>
> and move the pen over the tablet. Try that!
>
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 8:20 AM, Gareth Edwards
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I recently acquired an Intuos2 9x12 tablet with a view to using it
>> with Krita on my 64-bit Xubuntu box. However, I can't seem to get any
>> useful operation out of it - no X cursor movement when I apply the
>> stylus to the tablet.
>>
>> It was sold to me untested so there is still the possibility there is
>> a hardware fault but I'd like to rule out driver/software issues
>> before giving up on it. Here's the facts:
>>
>> - on plugging into the machine the amber LED comes on, which turns
>> green on stylus application, button press and eraser application to
>> the tablet as expected (I'm using a new-old-stock Intuos2 classic pen
>> with it) - everything looks as it should do on the hardware, in other
>> words.
>> - Xubuntu is 15.10 Wily amd64 with all updates applied
>> - kernel details:
>> gareth@comte:~$ uname -a
>> Linux comte 4.2.0-35-generic #40-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 15 22:15:45 UTC
>> 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> - packages xserver-xorg-input-wacom and xserver-xorg-input-wacom-dbg
>> 1:0.30.0-0ubuntu3 installed
>> - lsusb is sensible:
>>
>> gareth@comte:~$ lsusb
>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 056a:0043 Wacom Co., Ltd Intuos2 9x12
>>
>> - wacom kernel driver is loaded:
>>
>> from dmesg:
>> [    1.792118] input: Wacom Intuos2 9x12 Pen as
>> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-5/1-5:1.0/0003:056A:0043.0003/input/input6
>> [    1.792541] wacom 0003:056A:0043.0003: hidraw2: USB HID v1.00 Mouse
>> [Tablet XD-0912-U] on usb-0000:00:14.0-5/input0
>>
>> gareth@comte:~$ lsmod | grep wacom
>> wacom                  81920  0
>> hid                   118784  6
>> wacom,hid_generic,usbhid,hid_logitech_dj,hid_logitech_hidpp
>>
>> - xfce-settings shows pointing devices for Intuos2 cursor, eraser and
>> stylus and all are enabled.
>>
>> - I think this is the important observation: evemu-record shows no
>> events coming from the device, whether running in X or switched to a
>> seperate virtual terminal. fuser shows that nothing else has locked
>> the device so I don't think it's a process grab.
>>
>> This is perhaps pointing to (at least) a kernel driver level issue. Is
>> there a way I can dump the raw stream of data from the USB subsystem
>> or something like that to find out if the coordinate events are even
>> making it as far as the PC? Or is there something else I should try?
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Gareth

Re: Intuos2 on Xubuntu 15.10 - no events/cursor movement

Gareth Edwards
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply.

On 19 April 2016 at 18:44, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> First, please note that we don't really support the Intuos2 anymore.
> There seem to be hardware bugs in these old devices that aren't worth
> working around given the age of the device.

Is there a list of what /is/ supported (or at least known functional -
I appreciated 'supported' is a loaded term for FOSS)? I'm really just
trying to figure out how to get a large tablet running with Krita for
not a lot of cash; I can't afford $500 for an Intuos Pro but I'd like
to know how far back in time I can go.

Alternatively, I guess I could run a VM if there is a distro and
machine word length combination that has better probability of
working...

> If you do ever get your
> tablet detected, you'll probably run into bug #309 [1] which will
> require you to patch xf86-input-wacom to get it working under X.

Yeah, I'm OK with that. on the face of it, it looks like I am maybe
seeing a manifestation of #207.

> That said, you can use the "hid-recorder" [2] which will print out
> events seen by the HID subsystem and which are passed to our kernel
> driver.

OK, that is showing lots of events when I scrub, so that implies that
the issue is in wacom kernel driver or higher? I will concentrate my
digging around there.

To dive a layer deeper than that, you can capture raw USB
> events using either use the "usbmon" [3] kernel module, or Wireshark
> if you have it. Below that, you'll probably need an oscilloscope :D

I have plenty of test equipment :)

I'll report back when I make some progress.

Cheers
Gareth

> [...]
>>> wacom,hid_generic,usbhid,hid_logitech_dj,hid_logitech_hidpp
>>>
>>> - xfce-settings shows pointing devices for Intuos2 cursor, eraser and
>>> stylus and all are enabled.
>>>
>>> - I think this is the important observation: evemu-record shows no
>>> events coming from the device, whether running in X or switched to a
>>> seperate virtual terminal. fuser shows that nothing else has locked
>>> the device so I don't think it's a process grab.
>>>
>>> This is perhaps pointing to (at least) a kernel driver level issue. Is
>>> there a way I can dump the raw stream of data from the USB subsystem
>>> or something like that to find out if the coordinate events are even
>>> making it as far as the PC? Or is there something else I should try?
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Gareth

Re: Intuos2 on Xubuntu 15.10 - no events/cursor movement

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Gareth Edwards
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> On 19 April 2016 at 18:44, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> First, please note that we don't really support the Intuos2 anymore.
>> There seem to be hardware bugs in these old devices that aren't worth
>> working around given the age of the device.
>
> Is there a list of what /is/ supported (or at least known functional -
> I appreciated 'supported' is a loaded term for FOSS)? I'm really just
> trying to figure out how to get a large tablet running with Krita for
> not a lot of cash; I can't afford $500 for an Intuos Pro but I'd like
> to know how far back in time I can go.
>
> Alternatively, I guess I could run a VM if there is a distro and
> machine word length combination that has better probability of
> working...

Going back as far as the Intuos3 should be relatively problem-free and
provide larger tablet options. I haven't done a whole lot of debugging
of the Intuos2, but IIRC you might have luck with Ubuntu 10.04 or
10.10 in a VM -- newer releases seem to trigger the buggy behavior and
are more hit-or-miss.

>> If you do ever get your
>> tablet detected, you'll probably run into bug #309 [1] which will
>> require you to patch xf86-input-wacom to get it working under X.
>
> Yeah, I'm OK with that. on the face of it, it looks like I am maybe
> seeing a manifestation of #207.
>

>> That said, you can use the "hid-recorder" [2] which will print out
>> events seen by the HID subsystem and which are passed to our kernel
>> driver.
>
> OK, that is showing lots of events when I scrub, so that implies that
> the issue is in wacom kernel driver or higher? I will concentrate my
> digging around there.

Yeah, that would definitely point the finger towards the wacom kernel
driver. Thinking about it for a moment, I'd guess the issue is most
likely a kernel variant of the X issue mentioned in #309. For as-yet
unknown reasons, the Intuos2 often doesn't send information about the
pen that comes into proximity (IIRC, it sends the
pen-entering-proximity packet, but the tool information contains only
zeros). In the past, the kernel driver ignored this and would pass
along the zero IDs (the X driver didn't like zero IDs very much
though, so dropped them on the floor -- the workaround disables that
check). Recently, however (commit 5fcad16 in Linux 3.19, I believe)
the kernel began requiring non-zero ID information for an unrelated
reason, and now waits for the tablet to provide it before sending any
input events that could be seen by evemu-record or X11.

Assuming that's the problem, the workaround would be similar --
disable the code in 'wacom_wac.c:wacom_intuos_inout()' that calls
'wacom_intuos_schedule_prox_event'. The tool-in-prox-on-startup
problems that were fixed by the commit I mentioned will reappear, but
on the other hand, your Intuos2 should start sending input events.

> To dive a layer deeper than that, you can capture raw USB
>> events using either use the "usbmon" [3] kernel module, or Wireshark
>> if you have it. Below that, you'll probably need an oscilloscope :D
>
> I have plenty of test equipment :)
>
> I'll report back when I make some progress.
>
> Cheers
> Gareth

Best of luck :)