Quantcast

Jitter of cursor

Tim E. Jedlicka - wrk
I'm getting a lot of jitter with my Graphire 3 tablet. I can just set the
mouse (or pen) on the tablet and watch the cursor jump 2 or 3 pixels. wacdump
shows the same behavior - constant jitter.

I've gone through every permutation of wacom.ko's (linuxwacom as well as
kernel wacom). I tried both versions of wacom_drv.o (X11 driver) - both the
official Xorg driver as well as linuxwacom. Some combination's the tablet
doesn't work at all, others it works, but still has jitter.

Looking at my Xorg.0.log I see:

(**) WACOM: suppress value is 2

I haven't been able to find who is setting this (apparent) hard coded value.

This is some of my xorg.conf if it matters. Any pointers on how to eliminate
the jitter?

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier    "stylus"
  Driver        "wacom"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/event2"   # USB ONLY
  Option        "Type"          "stylus"
#  Option        "Mode"          "absolute"
  Option        "USB"           "on"                  # USB ONLY
#  Option        "Tilt"          "on"
#  Option         "Suppress"        "10"
  Option          "Threshold"       "226"
  Option        "Suppress"      "15"
EndSection

-----
Timothy Jedlicka, [hidden email], 1-630-713-4436, AOL-IM=tjbonzo
Network Entomologist, Lucent Technologies, LWS NOVE/SLRnet Lab Operations

Re: Jitter of cursor

Ping Cheng-2
Tim,

Move the tablet a bit away from your monitor to see if it helps or
not. It might be a frequency noise from some other device. Normally
from your monitor.

"Suppress" is valid from 2-6. If you have one greater than 6 or
smaller than 2, 2 will be used ( refer to
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/inputdev for
detail). The rational behind this choice (2-6) is that a value larger
than 6 reduces data accuracy too much and a value less than 2
introduces too much noise. You may try a value between 2-6 to see what
happens.

Ping

On 9/23/05, Tim E. Jedlicka - wrk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm getting a lot of jitter with my Graphire 3 tablet. I can just set the
> mouse (or pen) on the tablet and watch the cursor jump 2 or 3 pixels.
> wacdump
> shows the same behavior - constant jitter.
>
> I've gone through every permutation of wacom.ko's (linuxwacom as well as
> kernel wacom). I tried both versions of wacom_drv.o (X11 driver) - both the
>
> official Xorg driver as well as linuxwacom. Some combination's the tablet
> doesn't work at all, others it works, but still has jitter.
>
> Looking at my Xorg.0.log I see:
>
> (**) WACOM: suppress value is 2
>
> I haven't been able to find who is setting this (apparent) hard coded
> value.
>
> This is some of my xorg.conf if it matters. Any pointers on how to eliminate
>
> the jitter?
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>   Identifier    "stylus"
>   Driver        "wacom"
>   Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/event2"   # USB ONLY
>   Option        "Type"          "stylus"
> #  Option        "Mode"          "absolute"
>   Option        "USB"           "on"                  # USB ONLY
> #  Option        "Tilt"          "on"
> #  Option         "Suppress"        "10"
>   Option          "Threshold"       "226"
>   Option        "Suppress"      "15"
> EndSection

Re: Jitter of cursor

Alex Heizer
Hello,

Only 2 or 3 pixels?? Lucky...

I bought a new Graphire 3 and experienced the same behavior in my
office, except with 20-30 pixel jitters, full-screen random jumps, and
random clicks and double-clicks . Not in other rooms, but in just the
one room. Doing a search online revealed that this tablet is
particularly succeptable to RF interference. This means not only will
the radio station down the block and the transmission tower 2 blocks
away and the power relay station just beyond that affect the tablet, but
also my WiFi router, monitor and speakers. Also, the wireless frequency
of the Graphire is the same band as a 2.4GHz cordless phone, so that can
also affect it and cause this jitter.

So some of us are totally screwed....

Anyway, I called tech support and they basically told me that the
Graphire is their "cheapy" consumer model, and so doesn't have all of
the filtering and additional technology thrown into it that the Intuos
has, so that they can keep costs down on the Graphire. Since the Intuos
is their "professional" model, they include such extra amenities as RF
filtering. I returned the Graphire and bought an Intuos and it works great!

Hope this helps!

Alex Heizer

Tim E. Jedlicka - wrk wrote:

>I'm getting a lot of jitter with my Graphire 3 tablet. I can just set the
>mouse (or pen) on the tablet and watch the cursor jump 2 or 3 pixels. wacdump
>shows the same behavior - constant jitter.
>
>I've gone through every permutation of wacom.ko's (linuxwacom as well as
>kernel wacom). I tried both versions of wacom_drv.o (X11 driver) - both the
>official Xorg driver as well as linuxwacom. Some combination's the tablet
>doesn't work at all, others it works, but still has jitter.
>
>Looking at my Xorg.0.log I see:
>
>(**) WACOM: suppress value is 2
>
>I haven't been able to find who is setting this (apparent) hard coded value.
>
>This is some of my xorg.conf if it matters. Any pointers on how to eliminate
>the jitter?
>
>Section "InputDevice"
>  Identifier    "stylus"
>  Driver        "wacom"
>  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/event2"   # USB ONLY
>  Option        "Type"          "stylus"
>#  Option        "Mode"          "absolute"
>  Option        "USB"           "on"                  # USB ONLY
>#  Option        "Tilt"          "on"
>#  Option         "Suppress"        "10"
>  Option          "Threshold"       "226"
>  Option        "Suppress"      "15"
>EndSection
>

>-----
>Timothy Jedlicka, [hidden email], 1-630-713-4436, AOL-IM=tjbonzo
>Network Entomologist, Lucent Technologies, LWS NOVE/SLRnet Lab Operations

Re: Jitter of cursor

Ping Cheng-2
Hi Alex,

Just curious. Were you running Graphire3 on Linux when you see the problem? It sounds like a driver issue instead of hardware issue. It can not be that bad as far as my testing goes :).

Ping

On 9/23/05, Alex Heizer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alex Heizer

Re: Jitter of cursor

Alex Heizer
Hi Ping,

Linux, WindozeXP, Windoze98SE and MacOSX all had the exact same
behavior. I've seen comments on eBay that mention the same behavior, so
I know it's not just me. I've had an ArtPad2 for about 12 years that I
had to replace, and not a single trouble with it (aside from it just
physically wearing out), so this was a shock to me too. I was yelling "I
need an old priest and a young priest!!"  :)   My Ubuntu detected it
automatically but in all OSes it had the same behavior. Using it on a
WinXP notebook in other rooms it was steady as a rock. As soon as I
brought the notebook into this room, instant jitters, jumps and clicking
random icons. At first I thought it was possessed, but then the Wacom
tech told me he's heard of this before and it's due to RF interference.
He recommended an RF filter plastic sheeting called "ClearShield" for
those whose jittering was minimal, but mine was so extreme I opted just
for an Inutos. Like I said, the radio station is up the block one
direction, the transmission tower is up the block the other direction,
the power relay station just behind that, plus a WiFi router and
cordless 2.4GHz phone, subwoofer, monitor, scanner, etc... :)

Alex

Ping@LinuxWacom wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Just curious. Were you running Graphire3 on Linux when you see the
> problem? It sounds like a driver issue instead of hardware issue. It
> can not be that bad as far as my testing goes :).
>
> Ping
>
> On 9/23/05, *Alex Heizer* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Only 2 or 3 pixels?? Lucky...
>
>     I bought a new Graphire 3 and experienced the same behavior in my
>     office, except with 20-30 pixel jitters, full-screen random jumps, and
>     random clicks and double-clicks . Not in other rooms, but in just the
>     one room. Doing a search online revealed that this tablet is
>     particularly succeptable to RF interference. This means not only will
>     the radio station down the block and the transmission tower 2 blocks
>     away and the power relay station just beyond that affect the
>     tablet, but
>     also my WiFi router, monitor and speakers. Also, the wireless
>     frequency
>     of the Graphire is the same band as a 2.4GHz cordless phone, so
>     that can
>     also affect it and cause this jitter.
>
>     So some of us are totally screwed....
>
>     Anyway, I called tech support and they basically told me that the
>     Graphire is their "cheapy" consumer model, and so doesn't have all of
>     the filtering and additional technology thrown into it that the Intuos
>     has, so that they can keep costs down on the Graphire. Since the
>     Intuos
>     is their "professional" model, they include such extra amenities as RF
>     filtering. I returned the Graphire and bought an Intuos and it
>     works great!
>
>     Hope this helps!
>
>     Alex Heizer

Re: Jitter of cursor

Nic Soltani
Hi
You guys having this problem with an external device, but I have this
problem on my tablet PC(embedded into my screen) and if it is the
hardware, it is sad for the 3500A$ that I paid for it.
Although, I have absolutely no problem on winXP, so my best guess is it
has something to do with the driver.
On my FC3 I get jitters every 2-3 secs across the whole screen and
cursor jumps to the left buttom corner and resizes the open window. Now
I upgraded to FC4 and it doesn't work now, I think I have to recompile
the whole thing again.

Cheers
Nic

Alex Heizer wrote:

> [...]
>>     tablet, but
>>     also my WiFi router, monitor and speakers. Also, the wireless
>>     frequency
>>     of the Graphire is the same band as a 2.4GHz cordless phone, so
>>     that can
>>     also affect it and cause this jitter.
>>
>>     So some of us are totally screwed....
>>
>>     Anyway, I called tech support and they basically told me that the
>>     Graphire is their "cheapy" consumer model, and so doesn't have
>> all of
>>     the filtering and additional technology thrown into it that the
>> Intuos
>>     has, so that they can keep costs down on the Graphire. Since the
>>     Intuos
>>     is their "professional" model, they include such extra amenities
>> as RF
>>     filtering. I returned the Graphire and bought an Intuos and it

Re: Jitter of cursor

Ping Cheng-2
Hi Nic,

You don't need to compile the whole thing to move your TabletPC's cursor. TabletPC uses serial connection, i.e., you only need wacom_drv.o to make it work. I have prebuilt wacom_drv.o for most XFree86 and Xorg versions. Just download linuxwacom-0.7.0 and use the proper prebuilt wacom_drv.o from it.

The problem for TabletPC is that you probably need to calibrate your tablet. You needs to compile and install xsetwacom, etc. to run wacomcpl.

Ping