Quantcast

Linux mainline 4.4 Intuos PTS problems

Ioan-Adrian
Hello

First of all, thank you very much for all your amazing work. You guys are great.

As you are well aware, this merge window (4.4) introduced support in Linux
mainline for my Intuos PTS 2 tablet. I'm running the latest mainline which has
the 4.4 hid-wacom branch merged. I'm having the following problem: Only the
4 buttons on it "work", I can't get any device event from touch and when xserver
is started, touching the tablet with the pen causes an instant freeze (this
only happens when xserver is started).

Here's my device and system info:
$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 056a:033c Wacom Co., Ltd

$ uname -a
Linux adipc 4.3.0+ #54 SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 15 18:22:39 EET 2015 x86_64 Intel(R)
Core(TM) i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

When plugging the device into the USB I get the dmesg output attached to the
email (I cropped only for the relevant info).

$ lsmod
wacom                  83213  0

$ xsetwacom --version
0.31.0

$ xsetwacom --list devices
Wacom Intuos PT S 2 Pad pad     id: 14 type: PAD
Wacom Intuos PT S 2 Finger touch id: 15 type: TOUCH
Wacom Intuos PT S 2 Pen stylus   id: 16 type: STYLUS

The 4 buttons work as expected by default (I did nothing to configure them): the
left corner ones are left+right mouse click events - these work correctly in
xserver.

For all the buttons, I can directly read events from the device like the
following (look at the attach to see more info on these devices):
# cat /dev/hidraw5
or
# cat /dev/input/event16

However, for touch & pen, I get nothing on hidraw5 (on hidraw4 i get only
a periodic tick) and also nothing on event14 and 15.

If xserver is started, and I touch the pad with the pen, the computer instantly
freezes; I can't switch virtual terminals and have to hard reset. I can't
retrieve no X log, no kernel panic / oops info from the terminal. If X is not
started and I touch with the pen, nothing happens.

I'm running Gentoo with xorg-server-1.17.4 and xf86-input-wacom-0.31.0. I'm
also a fairly experienced Linux developer, if you need me to test / write some
patches to debug this further, I'm up to it.

P.S. I also backported all the wacom git patches to older / stable kernel
4.1.12 and it exhibits exactly the same behaviour. You can find this backport
here [1] (the branch is in the link name).

https://github.com/10ne1/linux/tree/v4.1.12-rt12-for-4.4-wacom-backport

dmesg.log (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Linux mainline 4.4 Intuos PTS problems

Ioan-Adrian
Just one more bit of info: The tablet is not defective, I've tried it on a
windows machine and the pen + touch work.

Also I've run evemu-record and it gives the same info as in my last mail (for
the pen and finger it gets no events).

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 21:20:53 +0200
Ioan-Adrian Ratiu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> First of all, thank you very much for all your amazing work. You guys are
> great.
>
> As you are well aware, this merge window (4.4) introduced support in Linux
> mainline for my Intuos PTS 2 tablet. I'm running the latest mainline which has
> the 4.4 hid-wacom branch merged. I'm having the following problem: Only the
> 4 buttons on it "work", I can't get any device event from touch and when
> xserver is started, touching the tablet with the pen causes an instant freeze
> (this only happens when xserver is started).
>
> Here's my device and system info:
> $ lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 056a:033c Wacom Co., Ltd
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux adipc 4.3.0+ #54 SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 15 18:22:39 EET 2015 x86_64
> Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
> When plugging the device into the USB I get the dmesg output attached to the
> email (I cropped only for the relevant info).
>
> $ lsmod
> wacom                  83213  0
>
> $ xsetwacom --version
> 0.31.0
>
> $ xsetwacom --list devices
> Wacom Intuos PT S 2 Pad pad     id: 14 type: PAD
> Wacom Intuos PT S 2 Finger touch id: 15 type: TOUCH
> Wacom Intuos PT S 2 Pen stylus   id: 16 type: STYLUS
>
> The 4 buttons work as expected by default (I did nothing to configure them):
> the left corner ones are left+right mouse click events - these work correctly
> in xserver.
>
> For all the buttons, I can directly read events from the device like the
> following (look at the attach to see more info on these devices):
> # cat /dev/hidraw5
> or
> # cat /dev/input/event16
>
> However, for touch & pen, I get nothing on hidraw5 (on hidraw4 i get only
> a periodic tick) and also nothing on event14 and 15.
>
> If xserver is started, and I touch the pad with the pen, the computer
> instantly freezes; I can't switch virtual terminals and have to hard reset. I
> can't retrieve no X log, no kernel panic / oops info from the terminal. If X
> is not started and I touch with the pen, nothing happens.
>
> I'm running Gentoo with xorg-server-1.17.4 and xf86-input-wacom-0.31.0. I'm
> also a fairly experienced Linux developer, if you need me to test / write some
> patches to debug this further, I'm up to it.
>
> P.S. I also backported all the wacom git patches to older / stable kernel
> 4.1.12 and it exhibits exactly the same behaviour. You can find this backport
> here [1] (the branch is in the link name).
>
> https://github.com/10ne1/linux/tree/v4.1.12-rt12-for-4.4-wacom-backport

Re: Linux mainline 4.4 Intuos PTS problems

Ioan-Adrian
I've managed to debug this issue further: It is not an xserver issue. The pen
IRQ produces a hard lockup which hangs the entire system (the capslock led
does not work), so this is definitely a kernel driver issue. I'm working on
debugging this further, but sadly I don't have the necessary time.

If you need any other information, or have some suggestions, any help is
welcomed :)

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 22:25:26 +0200
> [...]

> > a periodic tick) and also nothing on event14 and 15.
> >
> > If xserver is started, and I touch the pad with the pen, the computer
> > instantly freezes; I can't switch virtual terminals and have to hard reset.
> > I can't retrieve no X log, no kernel panic / oops info from the terminal.
> > If X is not started and I touch with the pen, nothing happens.
> >
> > I'm running Gentoo with xorg-server-1.17.4 and xf86-input-wacom-0.31.0. I'm
> > also a fairly experienced Linux developer, if you need me to test / write
> > some patches to debug this further, I'm up to it.
> >
> > P.S. I also backported all the wacom git patches to older / stable kernel
> > 4.1.12 and it exhibits exactly the same behaviour. You can find this
> > backport here [1] (the branch is in the link name).
> >
> > https://github.com/10ne1/linux/tree/v4.1.12-rt12-for-4.4-wacom-backport

Re: Linux mainline 4.4 Intuos PTS problems

I managed to figure it out, it's the call to hid_hw_request inside
wacom_intuos_schedule_prox_event in wacom_wac.c that's causing the hard lockup.

If I comment out that line everything works very well (including in X).

You guys can take it from here, if you want me to debug this further, just say
so and I'll try to find the time to do it.

Cheers!

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 00:13:02 +0200
> [...]

> > > a periodic tick) and also nothing on event14 and 15.
> > >
> > > If xserver is started, and I touch the pad with the pen, the computer
> > > instantly freezes; I can't switch virtual terminals and have to hard
> > > reset. I can't retrieve no X log, no kernel panic / oops info from the
> > > terminal. If X is not started and I touch with the pen, nothing happens.
> > >
> > > I'm running Gentoo with xorg-server-1.17.4 and xf86-input-wacom-0.31.0.
> > > I'm also a fairly experienced Linux developer, if you need me to test /
> > > write some patches to debug this further, I'm up to it.
> > >
> > > P.S. I also backported all the wacom git patches to older / stable kernel
> > > 4.1.12 and it exhibits exactly the same behaviour. You can find this
> > > backport here [1] (the branch is in the link name).
> > >
> > > https://github.com/10ne1/linux/tree/v4.1.12-rt12-for-4.4-wacom-backport

Re: Linux mainline 4.4 Intuos PTS problems

In the end it was not a wacom driver problem, but an long-unfixed deadlock inside the HID core.

I'll send a fix to upstream in a couple of days. Sorry everyone for all this noise, the wacom driver is fine :)

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 3:02 AM, Ioan-Adrian Ratiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > > a periodic tick) and also nothing on event14 and 15.
> > >
> > > If xserver is started, and I touch the pad with the pen, the computer
> > > instantly freezes; I can't switch virtual terminals and have to hard
> > > reset. I can't retrieve no X log, no kernel panic / oops info from the
> > > terminal. If X is not started and I touch with the pen, nothing happens.
> > >
> > > I'm running Gentoo with xorg-server-1.17.4 and xf86-input-wacom-0.31.0.
> > > I'm also a fairly experienced Linux developer, if you need me to test /
> > > write some patches to debug this further, I'm up to it.
> > >
> > > P.S. I also backported all the wacom git patches to older / stable kernel
> > > 4.1.12 and it exhibits exactly the same behaviour. You can find this
> > > backport here [1] (the branch is in the link name).
> > >
> > > https://github.com/10ne1/linux/tree/v4.1.12-rt12-for-4.4-wacom-backport

Re: Linux mainline 4.4 Intuos PTS problems

Ping Cheng-2
Thank you Loan-Adrian for supporting Wacom and Linux! Please let us
know if there is anything we can do to help.

Cheers,

Ping