Misconfiguration in Ubuntu

linuxwacom-discuss-6

  Dear List,

I was able to reproduce the following problem with a Lenovo X200
Tablet PC (7453-AM2) and a Lenovo X61 Tablet PC.

I want to use Kubuntu 15.04 on the X200, but the OS did not detect the
Wacom device (No entries in `xsetwacom list` named Wacom).

I then tried earlier releases:
12.04 LTS Live - works
14.04 LTS Live - NOT
14.10 LTS Live - NOT

Interestingly enough, when I install 12.04 LTS and upgrade using
`do-release-upgrade`, it changes a bit:
12.04 LTS Live - works
14.04 LTS Live - works
14.10 LTS Live - NOT

I also tried Ubuntu with Unity, but it remains the same, as expected,
since it is about Xorg configuration.

For comparison, I tried other distros:
debian 8.0.0 KDE Live - works
openSUSE 13.2 KDE - works
Linux Mint 17.1 KDE Live - works

Since I couldn't find anything on this Ubuntu bug on the internet, I
wanted to ask,
how I could investigate the misconfiguration, as I still would prefer
to use Kubuntu.

Thanks

Leo

Re: Misconfiguration in Ubuntu

Jason Gerecke
On 5/2/2015 6:49 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

>   Dear List,
>
> I was able to reproduce the following problem with a Lenovo X200
> Tablet PC (7453-AM2) and a Lenovo X61 Tablet PC.
>
> I want to use Kubuntu 15.04 on the X200, but the OS did not detect the
> Wacom device (No entries in `xsetwacom list` named Wacom).
>
> I then tried earlier releases:
> 12.04 LTS Live - works
> 14.04 LTS Live - NOT
> 14.10 LTS Live - NOT
>
> Interestingly enough, when I install 12.04 LTS and upgrade using
> `do-release-upgrade`, it changes a bit:
> 12.04 LTS Live - works
> 14.04 LTS Live - works
> 14.10 LTS Live - NOT
>
> I also tried Ubuntu with Unity, but it remains the same, as expected,
> since it is about Xorg configuration.
>
> For comparison, I tried other distros:
> debian 8.0.0 KDE Live - works
> openSUSE 13.2 KDE - works
> Linux Mint 17.1 KDE Live - works
>
> Since I couldn't find anything on this Ubuntu bug on the internet, I
> wanted to ask,
> how I could investigate the misconfiguration, as I still would prefer
> to use Kubuntu.
>
> Thanks
>
> Leo

Thanks for the report. That's definitely some odd behavior you're
seeing; the kernel and X drivers that work under Debian/SUSE/Mint are
very similar to those provided in Ubuntu 14.04 and 14.10. Its possible
that the wrong X driver (likely xf86-input-evdev) is being loaded. Does
the pointer react at all to the presence of the pen?

Please attach the output of the `dmesg` command, as well as your
/var/log/Xorg.0.log file under 14.04 or 14.10. That should give me some
more information about what's going on in the kernel and X.

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
(That is to say, eight) to the two, /
But you can’t take seven from three, /

Re: Misconfiguration in Ubuntu

linuxwacom-discuss-6

Dear Jason,

after comparing logs in Debian and Kubuntu, I realized, that udev did
not execute the wacom.rules, because the Ubuntu package places them in
a subfolder of rules.d.

Knowing this, I found a corresponding Launchpad report
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xf86-input-wacom/+bug/1392887

Stylus now works perfectly, but the buttons below the display are
still not recognized
http://askubuntu.com/questions/618506/special-buttons-on-lenovo-x200-tablet-not-recognized-by-xev
but that is unrelated to the wacom driver I guess.

On May 4, 2015 8:49:48 PM GMT+02:00, Jason Gerecke
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>>   Dear List,
>>
>> I was able to reproduce the following problem with a Lenovo X200
>> Tablet PC (7453-AM2) and a Lenovo X61 Tablet PC.
>>
>> I want to use Kubuntu 15.04 on the X200, but the OS did not detect
> the
>> Wacom device (No entries in `xsetwacom list` named Wacom).
>>
>> I then tried earlier releases:
>> 12.04 LTS Live - works
>> 14.04 LTS Live - NOT
>> 14.10 LTS Live - NOT
>>
>> Interestingly enough, when I install 12.04 LTS and upgrade using
>> `do-release-upgrade`, it changes a bit:
>> 12.04 LTS Live - works
>> 14.04 LTS Live - works
>> 14.10 LTS Live - NOT
>>
>> I also tried Ubuntu with Unity, but it remains the same, as expected,
>
>> since it is about Xorg configuration.
>>
>> For comparison, I tried other distros:
>> debian 8.0.0 KDE Live - works
>> openSUSE 13.2 KDE - works
>> Linux Mint 17.1 KDE Live - works
>>
>> Since I couldn't find anything on this Ubuntu bug on the internet, I
>
>> wanted to ask,
>> how I could investigate the misconfiguration, as I still would prefer
>
>> to use Kubuntu.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Leo
>
> Thanks for the report. That's definitely some odd behavior you're
> seeing; the kernel and X drivers that work under Debian/SUSE/Mint are
> very similar to those provided in Ubuntu 14.04 and 14.10. Its possible
> that the wrong X driver (likely xf86-input-evdev) is being loaded. Does
> the pointer react at all to the presence of the pen?
>
> Please attach the output of the `dmesg` command, as well as your
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log file under 14.04 or 14.10. That should give me some
> more information about what's going on in the kernel and X.

Re: Misconfiguration in Ubuntu

Timo Aaltonen-6
On 05.05.2015 11:48, [hidden email] wrote:

> Dear Jason,
>
> after comparing logs in Debian and Kubuntu, I realized, that udev did
> not execute the wacom.rules, because the Ubuntu package places them in
> a subfolder of rules.d.
>
> Knowing this, I found a corresponding Launchpad report
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xf86-input-wacom/+bug/1392887

Huh, yes this is quite a bad change.. it's a mistake in packaging
assuming dh_install can rename files. Let's get that sorted.