Problems setting up Wacom Intuos tablet on Linux Mint

Problems setting up Wacom Intuos tablet on Linux Mint

David Cleave

Hi all

I have a new Wacom Intuos Art Pen and Touch Medium Graphics Tablet. My laptop is running Linux Mint 17.1. I have run sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and restarted.

I then plug the tablet into a USB port on the laptop. A small light lights up on the tablet. I move my finger or the pen across the tablet. The light on the tablet changes to acknowledge the motion, but the mouse pointer on the laptop does not move.

This page (http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Downloads) says I should install or update input-wacom if the system does not move the mouse pointer so I try to install it using the instructions here (http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom). The laptop tells me I already have build-essential and linux-headers-3.13.0-37-generic. I download the .tar.bz2 file, unpack it and move to the unpacked folder. I then run ./configure. I get this output:

checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether gcc understands -c and -o together... yes
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking minix/config.h usability... no
checking minix/config.h presence... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking how to print strings... printf
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for fgrep... /bin/grep -F
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 1572864
checking how to convert x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu file names to x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu format... func_convert_file_noop
checking how to convert x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu file names to toolchain format... func_convert_file_noop
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for objdump... objdump
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for dlltool... no
checking how to associate runtime and link libraries... printf %s\n
checking for ar... ar
checking for archiver @FILE support... @
checking for strip... strip
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking for sysroot... no
checking for a working dd... /bin/dd
checking how to truncate binary pipes... /bin/dd bs=4096 count=1
checking for mt... mt
checking if mt is a manifest tool... no
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for objdir... .libs
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking whether to build static libraries... no
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C99... -std=gnu99
checking whether __clang__ is declared... no
checking whether __INTEL_COMPILER is declared... no
checking whether __SUNPRO_C is declared... no
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=unknown-warning-option... no
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=unused-command-line-argument... no
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wall... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wpointer-arith... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wmissing-declarations... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wformat=2... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wstrict-prototypes... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wmissing-prototypes... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wnested-externs... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wbad-function-cast... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wold-style-definition... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wdeclaration-after-statement... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wunused... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wuninitialized... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wshadow... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wmissing-noreturn... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wmissing-format-attribute... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wredundant-decls... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Wlogical-op... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=implicit... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=nonnull... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=init-self... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=main... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=missing-braces... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=sequence-point... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=return-type... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=trigraphs... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=array-bounds... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=write-strings... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=address... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=int-to-pointer-cast... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=pointer-to-int-cast... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -pedantic... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror... yes
checking if gcc -std=gnu99 supports -Werror=attributes... yes
Package xorg-macros was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xorg-macros.pc'
No package 'xorg-macros' found
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
checking for doxygen... no
configure: WARNING: doxygen not found - documentation targets will be skipped
checking for rint in -lm... yes
checking for XORG... no
configure: error: Package requirements (xorg-server >= 1.7.0 xproto xext kbproto inputproto randrproto) were not met:

No package 'xorg-server' found
No package 'randrproto' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables XORG_CFLAGS
and XORG_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

I try sudo apt-get install xorg-server, but no such package exists.

I'm afraid I have no idea what to try next. Can anyone help?

Thanks very much.

David

linuxwacom.sourceforge.net
The input-wacom driver is a set of loadable kernel modules which allows new tablets to be used with systems using kernels as old as Linux 2.6.30.
linuxwacom.sourceforge.net
Kernel Driver X Driver libwacom A kernel driver is necessary to initalize the tablet and translate hardware-specific protocols into standard input events.

Re: Problems setting up Wacom Intuos tablet on Linux Mint

Jason Gerecke
Hi David,

Are you sure you downloaded the "input-wacom" driver source code? The log output you've provided looks like its from the (similarly named, but different) "xf86-input-wacom" driver. Please try the following link:

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
(That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
But you can’t take seven from three,    /
So you look at the sixty-fours....

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 2:11 PM, David Cleave <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thank you! That was it! The tablet can now move the mouse pointer.

This was my fault for lack of attention, but I think it's worth pointing out the download page (https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxwacom/files/xf86-input-wacom/input-wacom/) is a little misleading. It's the download page for input-wacom, and the table underneath lists that driver, but at the top it says 'Looking for the latest version?', and provides a link to a different driver.

Thanks for your help.

sourceforge.net
This project manages the libraries, configuration, and diagnostic tools for Wacom tablets running under Linux. It also maintains updated Linux kernel …

Re: Problems setting up Wacom Intuos tablet on Linux Mint

Jason Gerecke
Glad that did the trick :)

I wonder if there's a way to adjust how the "looking for the latest version" link works... Its generated by SourceForge, but you're absolutely right that it doesn't seem to do what I'd expect. We'll have to look into it!