Quantcast

Re: Wacom Intuos PT S - Laggy 2FG X-Y Scrolling.

Re: Wacom Intuos PT S - Laggy 2FG X-Y Scrolling.

Jason Gerecke
On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Forum Mail <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> New user here, looking for some advice on a problem; 'laggy' 2FG X-Y
> scrolling gesture.
>
> When initiating a scroll gesture there is a noticeable delay between
> finger movement and the actual scroll event starting, when it does start
> there is a rapid (scroll) 'jump'. Once scrolling has started it's then
> smooth and controllable.
>
> I'm using relative touch tracking mode; changing to absolute mode made
> no difference to the lag. By increasing the value of 'Scroll Distance' I
> can alleviate the problem slightly as the initial 'jump' is not as
> large. I thought possibly that scrolling was not taking place until 'Tap
> Time' had elapsed, but that proved not to be the case.
>

> Wacom Intuos PT S
> openSUSE 13.1 (kernel 3.11.10-11)
> X Server 1.14.3.901
> kernel driver input-wacom-0.21.0
> xf86-input-wacom 0.22.1
>

> Regards, Paul

There is an initial 250ms delay due to the tap time, but immediately
afterwards we begin trying to determine the gesture being performed. A
few things have to occur before the driver recognizes a scroll
gesture, but in my experience the cause of most of the lag is a
minimum-travel-distance requirement. Until your fingers have moved at
least that far from their initial point of contact, the driver will
not recognize your gesture as a scroll. After switching, there is a
"jump" due to the distance traveled and then smooth scrolling since
the driver is now locked-in to scroll mode.

The initial jump could probably be fixed by resetting the distance
traveled after first locking into scroll mode, but the minimum travel
requirement itself (and thus the lag) would be harder to fix. Its a
balancing act to find a good value that doesn't cause excessive lag or
incorrect detection on a wide range of touch sensors.

Re: Wacom Intuos PT S - Laggy 2FG X-Y Scrolling.

Forum Mail
On 29/05/14 20:30, Jason Gerecke wrote:

> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Forum Mail <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> New user here, looking for some advice on a problem; 'laggy' 2FG X-Y
>> scrolling gesture.
>>
>> When initiating a scroll gesture there is a noticeable delay between
>> finger movement and the actual scroll event starting, when it does start
>> there is a rapid (scroll) 'jump'. Once scrolling has started it's then
>> smooth and controllable.
>>
>> I'm using relative touch tracking mode; changing to absolute mode made
>> no difference to the lag. By increasing the value of 'Scroll Distance' I
>> can alleviate the problem slightly as the initial 'jump' is not as
>> large. I thought possibly that scrolling was not taking place until 'Tap
>> Time' had elapsed, but that proved not to be the case.
>>

>> Wacom Intuos PT S
>> openSUSE 13.1 (kernel 3.11.10-11)
>> X Server 1.14.3.901
>> kernel driver input-wacom-0.21.0
>> xf86-input-wacom 0.22.1
>>

>> Regards, Paul
>>

> There is an initial 250ms delay due to the tap time, but immediately
> afterwards we begin trying to determine the gesture being performed. A
> few things have to occur before the driver recognizes a scroll
> gesture, but in my experience the cause of most of the lag is a
> minimum-travel-distance requirement. Until your fingers have moved at
> least that far from their initial point of contact, the driver will
> not recognize your gesture as a scroll. After switching, there is a
> "jump" due to the distance traveled and then smooth scrolling since
> the driver is now locked-in to scroll mode.
>
> The initial jump could probably be fixed by resetting the distance
> traveled after first locking into scroll mode, but the minimum travel
> requirement itself (and thus the lag) would be harder to fix. Its a
> balancing act to find a good value that doesn't cause excessive lag or
> incorrect detection on a wide range of touch sensors.
>
> Jason
> ---
> Now instead of four in the eights place /
> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
> So you look at the sixty-fours....

OK - I understand. Thanks for that explanation.

I'd tried setting tap time to 5 without any apparent effect on the
scroll lag, is the 250ms delay a minimum in addition to any tap time the
user has set?

With regard to the actual 'problem'. If the initial 'jump' in scrolling
could be suppressed, then I feel the actual lag before smooth scrolling
started would be far less noticeable. If that's something that could be
fixed at some point in a later release it would be great.

Regards, Paul

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:28 AM, Forum Mail <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29/05/14 20:30, Jason Gerecke wrote:
>> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Forum Mail <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> New user here, looking for some advice on a problem; 'laggy' 2FG X-Y
>>> scrolling gesture.
>>>
>>> When initiating a scroll gesture there is a noticeable delay between
>>> finger movement and the actual scroll event starting, when it does start
>>> there is a rapid (scroll) 'jump'. Once scrolling has started it's then
>>> smooth and controllable.
>>>
>>> I'm using relative touch tracking mode; changing to absolute mode made
>>> no difference to the lag. By increasing the value of 'Scroll Distance' I
>>> can alleviate the problem slightly as the initial 'jump' is not as
>>> large. I thought possibly that scrolling was not taking place until 'Tap
>>> Time' had elapsed, but that proved not to be the case.
>>>

>>> Wacom Intuos PT S
>>> openSUSE 13.1 (kernel 3.11.10-11)
>>> X Server 1.14.3.901
>>> kernel driver input-wacom-0.21.0
>>> xf86-input-wacom 0.22.1
>>>

>>> Regards, Paul
>>>

>> There is an initial 250ms delay due to the tap time, but immediately
>> afterwards we begin trying to determine the gesture being performed. A
>> few things have to occur before the driver recognizes a scroll
>> gesture, but in my experience the cause of most of the lag is a
>> minimum-travel-distance requirement. Until your fingers have moved at
>> least that far from their initial point of contact, the driver will
>> not recognize your gesture as a scroll. After switching, there is a
>> "jump" due to the distance traveled and then smooth scrolling since
>> the driver is now locked-in to scroll mode.
>>
>> The initial jump could probably be fixed by resetting the distance
>> traveled after first locking into scroll mode, but the minimum travel
>> requirement itself (and thus the lag) would be harder to fix. Its a
>> balancing act to find a good value that doesn't cause excessive lag or
>> incorrect detection on a wide range of touch sensors.
>>
>> Jason
>> ---
>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>>

> OK - I understand. Thanks for that explanation.
>
> I'd tried setting tap time to 5 without any apparent effect on the
> scroll lag, is the 250ms delay a minimum in addition to any tap time the
> user has set?
>
> With regard to the actual 'problem'. If the initial 'jump' in scrolling
> could be suppressed, then I feel the actual lag before smooth scrolling
> started would be far less noticeable. If that's something that could be
> fixed at some point in a later release it would be great.
>

> Regards, Paul

No, the 250ms minimum delay is just the default tap time. If you've
changed the tap time to 5, the new minimum delay should be 5ms. As you
noticed though, it doesn't decrease the lag. This is because a typical
scroll gesture won't have moved far enough after the 250ms timeout
(let alone a lower 5ms timeout) to satisfy the minimum travel distance
check. You might be able to notice the difference if you make a very
rapid scroll gesture though.

On 30/05/14 19:29, Jason Gerecke wrote:

> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:28 AM, Forum Mail <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> There is an initial 250ms delay due to the tap time, but immediately
>>> afterwards we begin trying to determine the gesture being performed. A
>>> few things have to occur before the driver recognizes a scroll
>>> gesture, but in my experience the cause of most of the lag is a
>>> minimum-travel-distance requirement. Until your fingers have moved at
>>> least that far from their initial point of contact, the driver will
>>> not recognize your gesture as a scroll. After switching, there is a
>>> "jump" due to the distance traveled and then smooth scrolling since
>>> the driver is now locked-in to scroll mode.
>>>
>>> The initial jump could probably be fixed by resetting the distance
>>> traveled after first locking into scroll mode, but the minimum travel
>>> requirement itself (and thus the lag) would be harder to fix. Its a
>>> balancing act to find a good value that doesn't cause excessive lag or
>>> incorrect detection on a wide range of touch sensors.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>> ---
>>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>>>

>> OK - I understand. Thanks for that explanation.
>>
>> I'd tried setting tap time to 5 without any apparent effect on the
>> scroll lag, is the 250ms delay a minimum in addition to any tap time the
>> user has set?
>>
>> With regard to the actual 'problem'. If the initial 'jump' in scrolling
>> could be suppressed, then I feel the actual lag before smooth scrolling
>> started would be far less noticeable. If that's something that could be
>> fixed at some point in a later release it would be great.
>>

>> Regards, Paul
>>

> No, the 250ms minimum delay is just the default tap time. If you've
> changed the tap time to 5, the new minimum delay should be 5ms. As you
> noticed though, it doesn't decrease the lag. This is because a typical
> scroll gesture won't have moved far enough after the 250ms timeout
> (let alone a lower 5ms timeout) to satisfy the minimum travel distance
> check. You might be able to notice the difference if you make a very
> rapid scroll gesture though.
>
> Jason
> ---
> Now instead of four in the eights place /
> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
> So you look at the sixty-fours....

OK - Thanks :)