Re: rotation & calibration (Cintiq 22HD Touch)?

Re: rotation & calibration (Cintiq 22HD Touch)?

David Melik
It has been over two weeks since I posted last; were the results of that xinput command looked at, or is there anything else I can do, like try a current development version of the driver, or try the setup with only my Cintiq as a monitor (without my other LCD)? I thought Jason had said something like the calibration program was set up separately (like for rotation) from the drawing programs, which was only fixed in a very recent version... so I do not see how anything I have done so far would even work, if that calibrator has to be set up separately for everything else to even be calibrated right (whether rotated or not, since the rotation may only apply to certain things). Also, I am wondering if just rotating something on the command line, in GNOME, would also rotate the display, which the command-line programs do not do in KDE... but it seems if they do not in KDE, they would not in GNOME... so I am not 100% sure of what I should be doing, though I followed the instructions so far.

Re: rotation & calibration (Cintiq 22HD Touch)?

Bugzilla from Joerg.Ehrichs@gmx.de
Hi,
just to rule out problems with the KDE wacom service (or better interference from it).
Did you disable the wacom tablet kded before starting the rotation and other xsetwacom related stuff?
You can find it at:
Systemsetting->Startup and Shutdown->Service Manager->Wacom Tablet
Simply stop the service will prevent some "magic" in the background.

The background service might (if configured to do so) try to apply tablet rotations/coordinate transformation matrix when it detects that the screen is rotated.
This could also cause unwanted behavior.

Joerg

Re: rotation & calibration (Cintiq 22HD Touch)?

David Melik
I do not have a Wacom tablet kded listed in that area. In that service manager area, it lists 'KDED Subversion module', which sounds a bit different and is listed as not running, anyway.

A while ago, I also disabled my main monitor, only used the Cintiq as a monitor, and tried the rotation command again. It still did not actually rotate the display--though I assume it still rotated the coordinates, as was discovered (but I checked with xsetwacom get device area and am not sure)--so then I rotated the display in KDE, but the calibrator came up as not rotated, again, with about half hanging off the edge of the screen.

Re: rotation & calibration (Cintiq 22HD Touch)?

Bugzilla from alex@maret.de

Do the coordinates of your tablet get rotated when using the "rotation"
command with xsetwacom? After using "xsetwacom <device> rotation ccw" your
stylus should behave as if the table was rotated, even if the screen is not.

Afaik, to get a full rotation of tablet and screen, you have to use "xrandr"
as well as "xsetwacom". If you are using the KDE Wacom kcm, it should be
enough to rotate the screen using xrandr. Tablet rotation will then be
adjusted according to the current X screen rotation.

If however a simple "xsetwacom <device> rotation <orientation>" does not
rotate the tablet's coordinate system (check with your stylus), then you still
have some driver problems.

Alex

 Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 10:50:19 +0200

> Hi,
> just to rule out problems with the KDE wacom service (or better
> interference from it).
> Did you disable the wacom tablet kded before starting the rotation and
> other xsetwacom related stuff?
> You can find it at:
> Systemsetting->Startup and Shutdown->Service Manager->Wacom Tablet
> Simply stop the service will prevent some "magic" in the background.
>
> The background service might (if configured to do so) try to apply tablet
> rotations/coordinate transformation matrix when it detects that the screen
> is rotated.
> This could also cause unwanted behavior.
>
> Joerg

> Find out what's HIP!
> Visit Hip Planet for news, shopping, forums, chatrooms, free personal and
> classified ads and much more!
 Get FREE E-MAIL! at HipPlanet now!

> It's all waiting for you, at http://www.hipplanet.com

Re: rotation & calibration (Cintiq 22HD Touch)?

David Melik
I think xsetwacom rotates ok, as I think I saw ('xsetwacom get <device> area' does not show a change afterwards, but maybe only reports hardware) and because Jason checked my logs... because what I also recall happening after many tries at rotation (without ability to calibrate) is the stylus seems to make input in the right direction (I am not 100% sure), but the drawing area also incorrectly includes my regular monitor, so the cursor jumps to that (and still seems to go in the right direction, if I recall... maybe if I disabled my regular monitor, I could draw crudely, having rotated ok, but with no calibration). The main problem is, after that, the calibration program (even on the git source I tried a few hours ago) does not recognize the coordinates have been rotated, so I cannot recalibrate, so rotation was useless.

KDE settings already use xrandr (it changes KDE settings).

I also compiled source from git a few hours ago, installed the results, rebooted, retried, also uninstalled the linuxwacom KDE GUI in case it interferes. Then I uninstalled the current version and put back xf86-input-wacom 0.25.0 and retried. Maybe I should upgrade to the latest again, while linuxwacom is uninstalled, and I am willing to, but it is unclear to me if I did enough thorough testing or what to do next.

I do not see anywhere to donate to the project and am wondering about that, if it is needed, or if I donate enough or to a maintainer who could test on an extra computer with Slackware64 14.1 (current stable version and whatever xf86-input-wacom version) if I could get some faster support, or if all the maintainers are already somewhat busy enough just programming. If I have to wait over a week on resolving some part of the solution process, I would rather pay for support, and after all the help so far anyway... also I have been trying to get this to work for months. I do not want to have spent $2000 then never get this working on Slackware, and my main alternative, though I dislike it, would be to wait for a used copy, or even buy an old version, of Windows from the last few years, which I also think I may need to test if an old laptop (General Dynamics Itronix GoBook VR-2) touchscreen works. I would at least rather support a Free/Libre Software project than buy an old Windows, when I will probably eventually be given a copy... or maybe I can install a different distribution that has been known to work with the Cintiq HDT, on a secondary computer (if I have one fast enough). That would be in a few weeks though... any suggestions on distributions?

Slackware is the oldest surviving GNU/Linux distribution, and there is a saying (paraphrased to be broader) 'if you learn this or that GNU/Linux distribution, you learn this or that GNU/Linux distribution, but if you learn Slackware, you learn GNU/Linux'... besides it adhering closely to Unix standards and being most powerful and versatile (arguably of any OS), I think many things it does have also been done by most/all later distributions, and I have found, IMO, it is the #1 development OS (GNU/Linux now being said to be better at LLVM than BSD), having so much development software that it is likely the largest distribution (measuring by a full install, not repositories)... so maybe 95% of stuff I compile and would have to build my own original package for, it works without any changes (excluding getting dependencies), and on an average other distribution I tried, maybe not even 50%, without much development stuff missing and having other complications being unable to install that or dependencies, without the 'dependency Hell' of also having to remove & install stuff until it works (but maybe causing problems with other parts of the system). These are some reasons if someone in a project does not test/develop on Slackware or make its type of tgz/tbz/txz package (which have been called standard 'linuxpackages', and maybe Patrick Volkerding makes it for xf86-input-wacom... I was also able to for version 0.25.0), I question the seriousness of the project. I am willing to test any current development version, but I am not much of a GUI programmer at this point... if I ever am, this project is a major one of several I would be interested in working on.

So that is just about what I tested so far, and my offer to donate to the project (and some suggestions), for some more in-depth support even if in the case of realizing maybe I had a software conflict I can now do a test without. I had thought of asking a local company for support, but with something this specialized, I suppose they would just come to the project site, this mailing list or the IRC channel (BTW, what are good times to ask questions there, if anyone here stays around there?).

David
http://www.cwu.edu/~melikd/ , http://dmelik.elfwood.com , http://dchmelik.deviantart.com

 Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 10:50:19 +0200

> Hi,
> just to rule out problems with the KDE wacom service (or better
> interference from it).
> Did you disable the wacom tablet kded before starting the rotation and
> other xsetwacom related stuff?
> You can find it at:
> Systemsetting->Startup and Shutdown->Service Manager->Wacom Tablet
> Simply stop the service will prevent some "magic" in the background.
>
> The background service might (if configured to do so) try to apply tablet
> rotations/coordinate transformation matrix when it detects that the screen
> is rotated.
> This could also cause unwanted behavior.
>
> Joerg

> Find out what's HIP!
> Visit Hip Planet for news, shopping, forums, chatrooms, free personal and
> classified ads and much more!
 Get FREE E-MAIL! at HipPlanet now!

> It's all waiting for you, at http://www.hipplanet.com

Re: rotation & calibration (Cintiq 22HD Touch)?

Bugzilla from alex@maret.de

I would forget about calibration for now and concentrate on the rotation
problem first. You should disconnect any external monitors and check if
"xsetwacom ... rotation.." properly rotates the coordinate system of your
tablet.

If it does, you should try the calibration tool and finally reconnect external
monitors to get the drawing area right.

The problem with testing is not about any distribution but about hardware.
Most of us simply do not have access to these tablets (especially the
expensive ones), so we depend on people like you to test and report back.

Alex

 Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 09:01:34 +0200

> Do the coordinates of your tablet get rotated when using the "rotation"
> command with xsetwacom? After using "xsetwacom <device> rotation ccw" your
> stylus should behave as if the table was rotated, even if the screen is
> not.
> Afaik, to get a full rotation of tablet and screen, you have to use "xrandr"

 as well as "xsetwacom". If you are using the KDE Wacom kcm, it should be
> enough to rotate the screen using xrandr. Tablet rotation will then be
> adjusted according to the current X screen rotation.
>
> If however a simple "xsetwacom <device> rotation <orientation>" does not
> rotate the tablet's coordinate system (check with your stylus), then you
> still
 have some driver problems.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 9:44 PM, David Melik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think xsetwacom rotates ok, as I think I saw ('xsetwacom get <device> area' does not show a change afterwards, but maybe only reports hardware)
That's correct. The "area" reports the hardware area and does not
change when rotated :)

> and because Jason checked my logs... because what I also recall happening after many tries at rotation (without ability to calibrate) is the stylus seems to make input in the right direction (I am not 100% sure), but the drawing area also incorrectly includes my regular monitor, so the cursor jumps to that (and still seems to go in the right direction, if I recall... maybe if I disabled my regular monitor, I could draw crudely, having rotated ok, but with no calibration).
If you have only the Cintiq connected to your computer and you rotate
the display through xrandr (or KDE) and then rotate the tablet through
xsetwacom, does the pointer mostly follow the pen? If it does, then
the rotation at least seems to be working fine. If not, it might be
useful to see a video of how the pointer moves if you have access to a
cell camera or something. Regretfully I haven't had time to to get
Slackware installed on Virtualbox yet :(

With a second monitor connected, an additional step is required. By
default the driver will map the pen to the entire desktop, not just a
single monitor. To constrain the pointer to a single monitor, you need
to use xsetwacom's "maptooutput" command. For example, on my system,
I'd use "xsetwacom set <device> maptooutput DVI-0" since my Cintiq is
connected to the DVI-0 output (xrandr will have the full list of
outputs on your system). This command is not persistent, so *any* time
you make a change through xrandr (e.g. rotate the display) you'll need
to run it again.

For your system (assuming your Cintiq is connected to "DVI-0"), I'd
run something along the lines of this:

xrandr --output DVI-0 --rotate left
xsetwacom set "Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Pen stylus" maptooutput DVI-0
xsetwacom set "Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Pen eraser" maptooutput DVI-0
xsetwacom set "Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Finger touch" maptooutput DVI-0
xsetwacom set "Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Pen stylus" rotate CCW
xsetwacom set "Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Pen eraser" rotate CCW
xsetwacom set "Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Finger touch" rotate CCW

The first line rotates the display, the next three re-map all the
tools to the Cintiq, and the final three rotate the tablet. In the
absence of any KDE interference, those commands /should/ work to get
the pointer mostly following the pen when the display is rotated.

> The main problem is, after that, the calibration program (even on the git source I tried a few hours ago) does not recognize the coordinates have been rotated, so I cannot recalibrate, so rotation was useless.

Unfortunately, we can't even begin to tackle that one until the
rotation and mapping are sorted out first...

> KDE settings already use xrandr (it changes KDE settings).
>
> I also compiled source from git a few hours ago, installed the results, rebooted, retried, also uninstalled the linuxwacom KDE GUI in case it interferes. Then I uninstalled the current version and put back xf86-input-wacom 0.25.0 and retried. Maybe I should upgrade to the latest again, while linuxwacom is uninstalled, and I am willing to, but it is unclear to me if I did enough thorough testing or what to do next.
>
> I do not see anywhere to donate to the project and am wondering about that, if it is needed, or if I donate enough or to a maintainer who could test on an extra computer with Slackware64 14.1 (current stable version and whatever xf86-input-wacom version) if I could get some faster support, or if all the maintainers are already somewhat busy enough just programming. If I have to wait over a week on resolving some part of the solution process, I would rather pay for support, and after all the help so far anyway... also I have been trying to get this to work for months. I do not want to have spent $2000 then never get this working on Slackware, and my main alternative, though I dislike it, would be to wait for a used copy, or even buy an old version, of Windows from the last few years, which I also think I may need to test if an old laptop (General Dynamics Itronix GoBook VR-2) touchscreen works. I would at least rather support a Free/Libre Software project than buy an old Windows, when I will probably eventually be given a copy... or maybe I can install a different distribution that has been known to work with the Cintiq HDT, on a secondary computer (if I have one fast enough). That would be in a few weeks though... any suggestions on distributions?

I'd have to place Fedora at the top of the list. We work with Red Hat
developers quite a bit, so its generally the distro whose bugs we're
most aware of and get fixed first. There are also quite a few Ubuntu
users out there, so I'd have to give it a mention (though there have
been several times that bugs were logged in their tracker and never
forwarded to us).

> Slackware is the oldest surviving GNU/Linux distribution, and there is a saying (paraphrased to be broader) 'if you learn this or that GNU/Linux distribution, you learn this or that GNU/Linux distribution, but if you learn Slackware, you learn GNU/Linux'... besides it adhering closely to Unix standards and being most powerful and versatile (arguably of any OS), I think many things it does have also been done by most/all later distributions, and I have found, IMO, it is the #1 development OS (GNU/Linux now being said to be better at LLVM than BSD), having so much development software that it is likely the largest distribution (measuring by a full install, not repositories)... so maybe 95% of stuff I compile and would have to build my own original package for, it works without any changes (excluding getting dependencies), and on an average other distribution I tried, maybe not even 50%, without much development stuff missing and having other complications being unable to install that or dependencies, without the 'dependency Hell' of also having to remove & install stuff until it works (but maybe causing problems with other parts of the system). These are some reasons if someone in a project does not test/develop on Slackware or make its type of tgz/tbz/txz package (which have been called standard 'linuxpackages', and maybe Patrick Volkerding makes it for xf86-input-wacom... I was also able to for version 0.25.0), I question the seriousness of the project. I am willing to test any current development version, but I am not much of a GUI programmer at this point... if I ever am, this project is a major one of several I would be interested in working on.
>
> So that is just about what I tested so far, and my offer to donate to the project (and some suggestions), for some more in-depth support even if in the case of realizing maybe I had a software conflict I can now do a test without. I had thought of asking a local company for support, but with something this specialized, I suppose they would just come to the project site, this mailing list or the IRC channel (BTW, what are good times to ask questions there, if anyone here stays around there?).

The IRC is usually unmanned from what I've seen. If you'd like to do
some live debugging, I can try to hop on. It looks like we're in the
same time zone, so name a time and I'll see what I can do :)

> David
> http://www.cwu.edu/~melikd/ , http://dmelik.elfwood.com , http://dchmelik.deviantart.com

Some great news: after mapping & rotation, I calibrated also with two points near the others (several inches) offscreen. In GIMP, the stylus goes in the correct directions at least for big images, which I can do pretty accurately. I did not try details because it probably needs actual correct/perfect calibration--was I supposed to try git source? I think I will tonight; if it works, I will post (otherwise maybe not). I just wanted to say thanks for all the help so far, and report the Cintiq is basically working (just not sure for minute details until actual correct calibration).

As for IRC, I confused Freenode IRC #linuxwacom with this project's channel, which I am not aware of... is it the same, or can someone tell me where?

> [...]

> So that is just about what I tested so far, and my offer to donate to the project (and some suggestions), for some more in-depth support even if in the case of realizing maybe I had a software conflict I can now do a test without. I had thought of asking a local company for support, but with something this specialized, I suppose they would just come to the project site, this mailing list or the IRC channel (BTW, what are good times to ask questions there, if anyone here stays around there?).

The IRC is usually unmanned from what I've seen. If you'd like to do
some live debugging, I can try to hop on. It looks like we're in the
same time zone, so name a time and I'll see what I can do :)

I am using a git source version from a few days ago when I mentioned that, and even after a reboot, the calibration program does not fill up the whole screen rather than hanging off the edge because the screen was rotated. As I had said, it calibrated to work maybe well enough for large pictures anyway, but is it just that the calibration program needs updating for the cases of the screen being rotated 90 or 270 degrees? Actually the calibration seems a lot better than I thought--how important is it that the stylus be put in all four the calibration areas, really? Two were off the screen, so maybe (I did not fully test) the stylus would stop at some point lower down the screen, but there does not necessarily seem to be any accuracy problem, surprisingly.

http://www.cwu.edu/~melikd/art.html , http://dmelik.elfwood.com , http://dchmelik.deviantart.com