Re: rotation & calibration (was documentation? command help for a Cintiq 22HD Touch?)

Re: rotation & calibration (was documentation? command help for a Cintiq 22HD Touch?)

David Melik
Actually, I am using 'xf86-input-wacom-0.19.0-x86_64-4', and I do not really want to try non-stable versions... even using anything newer (though I might if it is stable, or something newer temporarily) until Slackware updates, will mean I cannot ask for general Slackware help because of having a non-standard installation. I tried to rotate devices called 'Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Finger touch' (which the command ran, but apparently did nothing) and 'Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Pen' (which gave the error I mentioned).

--- [hidden email] wrote:
IIRC, the area property is always in the tablet's "native" orientation
and is applied before any rotation occurs. So, for instance, adjusting
the max X will always adjust the calibration along the long edge of
the tablet, regardless of if the tablet is in landscape (long edge
horizontal) or portait (long edge vertical). As long as the result of
`xsetwacom get <device name> area` changes to what whatever you set,
the result should be correct.

As for the pen rotation, which device are you trying to rotate? Only
the "pad" device should give that error since it doesn't control the
cursor; both the "stylus" and "eraser" devices should rotate just like
touch.

The xinput_calibrator problem sounds like a serious issue. I suppose
you can do the calibration in landscape mode and then rotate, but the
calibration won't be quite as correct... It looks like the 0.7.5
release is several years old by this point and might not be the best
choice. Could you try building code from [1]? Its the current
development version, so I'm not entirely sure how well it will work.

[1]: https://github.com/tias/xinput_calibrator/archive/master.zip

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 7:01 PM, David Melik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for restoring some old versions, and explaining some other necessary stuff. I tried what the rotation page said to do, on my Cintiq 22HD Touch, and it seems to not work. After doing the command to rotate the touch input (to ccw), then getting the area and trying to do calibration, the area remained the same (as if x,y were in a state of it being set the normal way rather than rotated), and the calibration program that came up was just on the top (side) of the screen, and cut off (I had rotated it to draw 11x17 pieces, used for comic pages, the long way). As for the pen input, it would not even let me rotate that, saying "Property 'Wacom Rotation' does not exist on device".

Jason Gerecke
'Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Pen' doesn't look like a proper device name. Every
device name should end with one of "stylus", "eraser", "cursor",
"pad", or "touch". If that's not the case, I suppose there could be a
driver issue (the 22HDT was not officially supported until 0.22, even
though 0.19 should be able to cope). Just to test the theory, could
you try installing the latest 0.25 release and seeing if there is any
difference? If even that doesn't seem to solve things, could you
please attach (don't copy/paste -- the mailinglist doesn't like long
emails) your /var/log/Xorg.0.log as well as the output of `xinput list
--name-only | grep Wacom | xargs -d'\n' xinput list-props "{}"` both
before and after trying to rotate/calibrate the devices?

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 9:44 PM, David Melik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, I am using 'xf86-input-wacom-0.19.0-x86_64-4', and I do not really want to try non-stable versions... even using anything newer (though I might if it is stable, or something newer temporarily) until Slackware updates, will mean I cannot ask for general Slackware help because of having a non-standard installation. I tried to rotate devices called 'Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Finger touch' (which the command ran, but apparently did nothing) and 'Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Pen' (which gave the error I mentioned).
>

> --- [hidden email] wrote:
> IIRC, the area property is always in the tablet's "native" orientation
> and is applied before any rotation occurs. So, for instance, adjusting
> the max X will always adjust the calibration along the long edge of
> the tablet, regardless of if the tablet is in landscape (long edge
> horizontal) or portait (long edge vertical). As long as the result of
> `xsetwacom get <device name> area` changes to what whatever you set,
> the result should be correct.
>
> As for the pen rotation, which device are you trying to rotate? Only
> the "pad" device should give that error since it doesn't control the
> cursor; both the "stylus" and "eraser" devices should rotate just like
> touch.
>
> The xinput_calibrator problem sounds like a serious issue. I suppose
> you can do the calibration in landscape mode and then rotate, but the
> calibration won't be quite as correct... It looks like the 0.7.5
> release is several years old by this point and might not be the best
> choice. Could you try building code from [1]? Its the current
> development version, so I'm not entirely sure how well it will work.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/tias/xinput_calibrator/archive/master.zip
>
> Jason
> ---
> Now instead of four in the eights place /
> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 7:01 PM, David Melik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks for restoring some old versions, and explaining some other necessary stuff. I tried what the rotation page said to do, on my Cintiq 22HD Touch, and it seems to not work. After doing the command to rotate the touch input (to ccw), then getting the area and trying to do calibration, the area remained the same (as if x,y were in a state of it being set the normal way rather than rotated), and the calibration program that came up was just on the top (side) of the screen, and cut off (I had rotated it to draw 11x17 pieces, used for comic pages, the long way). As for the pen input, it would not even let me rotate that, saying "Property 'Wacom Rotation' does not exist on device".

Ok, I built and tried xf86-input-wacom 0.25.0... the same thing happened, and at this point I am willing to try the development version. I am attaching the two files requested in the previous email. Sorry about the double message, Jason; I am not used to using mailing lists if somehow a message also gets sent to me directly.

David