Serial PenPartner problems

Tina Trillitzsch

I have a serial Wacom PenPartner device and use Gentoo with a
2.6.12-gentoo-r6 kernel. I followed the instructions in the howto
(http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/wacdump), and
when I try

> wacdump -v /dev/ttyS0
I get
16:27:27.331 INFO: Opening log
16:27:27.331 INFO: Setting baud rate to 38400
16:27:27.331 INFO: Sending reset
16:27:27.660 INFO: Setting baud rate to 19200
16:27:27.660 INFO: Sending reset
16:27:27.989 INFO: Setting baud rate to 9600
16:27:27.989 INFO: Sending reset
WacomOpenTablet: Connection timed out

I also tried it with ttyS1, which produced the same without the
timeout, but still no output data:

> wacdump -v /dev/ttyS
16:27:27.147 INFO: Opening log
16:27:27.147 INFO: Setting baud rate to 38400
16:27:27.147 INFO: Sending reset
16:27:27.476 INFO: Setting baud rate to 19200
16:27:27.476 INFO: Sending reset
16:27:27.805 INFO: Setting baud rate to 9600
16:27:27.805 INFO: Sending reset

The howto says that the timeout can either be X using the tablet
(which it does not, my xorg.conf doesn't contain the lines required
by the tablet yet) or the tablet is not responding. So for me it's
probably the non-responding part. Can anything be done about this? I
am pretty certain that this is not a hardware problem, the tablet
works perfectly fine in Windows.
I later tried to follow the additional installation steps anyway,
and surprisingly it worked -- partially. I can use the pen instead
of the mouse in X. But when I try to paint in the Gimp, it only
works when I turn off pressure sensititvity for the tool I am using,
otherwise I get nothing but very occasionally small dots. I tried
messing with the thresholds, but that didn't help either.

I also found at least two more people on this mailinglist who have
the same tablet _and_ the same problems:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9076401 (no
response in wacdump)
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=12532261 (pen
paints only random dots)

So is this maybe just a tiny bug in linuxwacom that nobody ever
found because most people don't have this particular (quite old)
tablet anymore?

Any help or ideas are appreciated :)

Tina

Re: Serial PenPartner problems

Ian Greenhoe
I am having troubles with my serial tablet (Tablet PC) touch sensitivity
as well.  As a result I've gotten quite aquainted with the debugging
stuff of late.

[To the rest of the list:  As I am a relative newbie at hacking this
sort of stuff, please jump in if I'm directing Teri in the wrong
direction!]

Which version of the driver are you running?  If nothing else, I'd try
using the appropriate prebuilt X driver version that come with 0.6.9, as
I know that some of the more... ahh... interesting problems (like my
stylus being id'd as a mouse) were solved that way.  Just don't forget
to save off a copy of your original driver before you do so.  (I'm in
the process of figuring out how to compile the driver from CVS.  Just
haven't spent the time to get the xorg SDK up & running -- yet.)

Also, if you can tell X to tell you exactly what it sees by adding the
following line to the appropriate sections (the "InputDevice" section
that relates to your tablet) in your XF86Config-4 or xorg.conf files.
(Note: XF86 Version 3 has a different format.  Google if necessary.)
The "level" can be set from 1 to 12 or so.  For normal running, you want
it off.  For tracking down problems, I'd say a minimum of 7.

  Option        "DebugLevel" "11"

This way you can tell if it is a driver problem, or possibly some wierd
X problem.  You'll want to look for the "z=" part.  "z=0" means that
there is no pressure (not touching), and goes up from there to a typical
maximum of 255 (100% pressure, that is, pressing fairly hard.)

Good Luck!
-Ian

On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 16:43 +0200, Tina Trillitzsch wrote:

> I have a serial Wacom PenPartner device and use Gentoo with a
> 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 kernel. I followed the instructions in the howto
> (http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/wacdump), and
> when I try
>
> > wacdump -v /dev/ttyS0
> I get
> 16:27:27.331 INFO: Opening log
> 16:27:27.331 INFO: Setting baud rate to 38400
> 16:27:27.331 INFO: Sending reset
> 16:27:27.660 INFO: Setting baud rate to 19200
> 16:27:27.660 INFO: Sending reset
> 16:27:27.989 INFO: Setting baud rate to 9600
> 16:27:27.989 INFO: Sending reset
> WacomOpenTablet: Connection timed out
>
> I also tried it with ttyS1, which produced the same without the
> timeout, but still no output data:
>
> > wacdump -v /dev/ttyS
> 16:27:27.147 INFO: Opening log
> 16:27:27.147 INFO: Setting baud rate to 38400
> 16:27:27.147 INFO: Sending reset
> 16:27:27.476 INFO: Setting baud rate to 19200
> 16:27:27.476 INFO: Sending reset
> 16:27:27.805 INFO: Setting baud rate to 9600
> 16:27:27.805 INFO: Sending reset
>
> The howto says that the timeout can either be X using the tablet
> (which it does not, my xorg.conf doesn't contain the lines required
> by the tablet yet) or the tablet is not responding. So for me it's
> probably the non-responding part. Can anything be done about this? I
> am pretty certain that this is not a hardware problem, the tablet
> works perfectly fine in Windows.
> I later tried to follow the additional installation steps anyway,
> and surprisingly it worked -- partially. I can use the pen instead
> of the mouse in X. But when I try to paint in the Gimp, it only
> works when I turn off pressure sensititvity for the tool I am using,
> otherwise I get nothing but very occasionally small dots. I tried
> messing with the thresholds, but that didn't help either.
>
> I also found at least two more people on this mailinglist who have
> the same tablet _and_ the same problems:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9076401 (no
> response in wacdump)
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=12532261 (pen
> paints only random dots)
>
> So is this maybe just a tiny bug in linuxwacom that nobody ever
> found because most people don't have this particular (quite old)
> tablet anymore?
>
> Any help or ideas are appreciated :)
>
> Tina

Re: Serial PenPartner problems

Mister Fred
Hello,

I have the very same problems with my Serial Graphire :
- wacdump doesn't work (timeout)
- no pressure sensitivity in Gimp when I use the tool in Relative mode
(Option "Mode" "Relative" in xorg.conf)

Maybe it's the same bug. Can you please do the following :
- run "xidump stylus" in an xterm, then play with the stylus, and look at the
values. When I do it here, with the stylus in Relative mode, the pressure
value reported by xidump gets offset by -256 each time the tool gets out of
proximity and then back in proximity. The pressure value quickly becomes
negative, which could explain why Gimp can't deal with it. If the xidump
command doesn't work the first time, try to close the window and launch it
another time, it sometimes happens here.
- try to put your stylus in Absolute mode in xorg.conf, then restart X and try
Gimp. When I do that, the pressure sensitivity works.

I am working on this bug, trying to patch the driver's source code. I'll post
the patch in this list when I'm done, if ever... ;-)
Please tell me what results you get with these tests, as I suspect the bug to
occur with all the old serial tablets.

                Mister Fred

Le Dimanche 11 Septembre 2005 16:43, Tina Trillitzsch a écrit :

> I have a serial Wacom PenPartner device and use Gentoo with a
> 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 kernel. I followed the instructions in the howto
> (http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/wacdump), and
> when I try
>
> > wacdump -v /dev/ttyS0
>
> I get
> 16:27:27.331 INFO: Opening log
> 16:27:27.331 INFO: Setting baud rate to 38400
> 16:27:27.331 INFO: Sending reset
> 16:27:27.660 INFO: Setting baud rate to 19200
> 16:27:27.660 INFO: Sending reset
> 16:27:27.989 INFO: Setting baud rate to 9600
> 16:27:27.989 INFO: Sending reset
> WacomOpenTablet: Connection timed out
>
> I also tried it with ttyS1, which produced the same without the
>
> timeout, but still no output data:
> > wacdump -v /dev/ttyS
>
> 16:27:27.147 INFO: Opening log
> 16:27:27.147 INFO: Setting baud rate to 38400
> 16:27:27.147 INFO: Sending reset
> 16:27:27.476 INFO: Setting baud rate to 19200
> 16:27:27.476 INFO: Sending reset
> 16:27:27.805 INFO: Setting baud rate to 9600
> 16:27:27.805 INFO: Sending reset
>
> The howto says that the timeout can either be X using the tablet
> (which it does not, my xorg.conf doesn't contain the lines required
> by the tablet yet) or the tablet is not responding. So for me it's
> probably the non-responding part. Can anything be done about this? I
> am pretty certain that this is not a hardware problem, the tablet
> works perfectly fine in Windows.
> I later tried to follow the additional installation steps anyway,
> and surprisingly it worked -- partially. I can use the pen instead
> of the mouse in X. But when I try to paint in the Gimp, it only
> works when I turn off pressure sensititvity for the tool I am using,
> otherwise I get nothing but very occasionally small dots. I tried
> messing with the thresholds, but that didn't help either.
>
> I also found at least two more people on this mailinglist who have
> the same tablet _and_ the same problems:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9076401 (no
> response in wacdump)
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=12532261 (pen
> paints only random dots)
>
> So is this maybe just a tiny bug in linuxwacom that nobody ever
> found because most people don't have this particular (quite old)
> tablet anymore?
>
> Any help or ideas are appreciated :)
>
> Tina

Re: Serial PenPartner problems

Ian Greenhoe
Hrm...  Simular issue for me.  I have a tablet PC, which has a serial
Wacom built into the screen which uses the Wacom ISDV4 protocol.

After much digging, and some experimenting, I found that the pressure
maximum (Z axis) was being consistently misread, and even setting it in
the xorg.conf file didn't work.  I finally patched the X driver to
*only* use a pressure maximum of 255 (hardcoded).  With that, pressure
sensitivity works.  Looking in the X debug info, I see that every time
the driver is loaded, it seems to report *random* maximums for the
various axis -- which are *different* _every_ time it loads!  :P

One of the interesting things for me was that xidump, while capable of
showing what the reported Xinput limits are, was completely useless to
show what the Xinput events were.  Maybe about 1 time out of 100 it
would actually work (when it wasn't working it reported no events).  I
actually found turning on debugging in X to be far more useful.  YMMV.
(xidump still doesn't report events for me, but Gimp is quite happy to
do different pressure-sensitive things appropriately.)

-Ian

               Mister Fred

Re: Serial PenPartner problems

Ping Cheng-2
I can reproduce the problem you reported below, i.e. maxX, Y, and Z are different each time when loading wacom_drv.o. I'd like to fix the bug if I can see the problem. Can you post the relevant lines in your xorg.0.log  files that display the different maxX, Y, and Z?

Or, you can email your xorg.0.log file to me directly.

Ping

-Ian