Serial Stylus & Resume

Jeremy Moles
Does anyone have any advice on getting a serial stylus working in X
after resume? Here is what I know:

1. The machine suspends and resumes fine while in X; all devices work
except the stylus. No amount of xsetpointer can can get it to
reinitialize the mouse.

2. The device node for stylus input is /dev/ttyS0. Upon resume, the
stylus no longer works without restarting X. However, running something
like:

# cat /dev/ttyS0

...still produces the standard mouse output when you move the stylus
around.

Is there any way to kick X in the knees and get it to reinitialize it's
input devices?

SYSTEM: IBM X41
KERNEL: 2.6.13.3
TABLET: Wacom General ISDV4

Re: Serial Stylus & Resume

Jens Georg

> Is there any way to kick X in the knees and get it to reinitialize it's
> input devices?

This is a known issue. Make sure that you switch to a virtual console
bevore suspending and resume in a virtual console and then switch back
to X. This should work. Swsusp has a config option for hibernate to do
this. I'll have a look at my Ubuntu system later, can't access it right
now.

Re: Serial Stylus & Resume

Jeremy Moles
chvt'ing is a standard part of our hibernation procedure. :) I wish this
fixed it, but it doesn't.

At any rate, where is the problem assumed to lie? I have a few days I
could devote code-wise to fixing this, and I'd be glad to get started
right away if anyone has any ideas. If not, I'm gonna' start modifying
xc/programs/xsetpointer.c to start probing and prodding with whatever I
can make it do. :)

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 19:24 +0200, Jens Georg wrote:

> > Is there any way to kick X in the knees and get it to reinitialize it's
> > input devices?
>
> This is a known issue. Make sure that you switch to a virtual console
> bevore suspending and resume in a virtual console and then switch back
> to X. This should work. Swsusp has a config option for hibernate to do
> this. I'll have a look at my Ubuntu system later, can't access it right
> now.

Re: Serial Stylus & Resume

Danny Kukawka
On Monday 10 October 2005 06:55, Jeremy Moles wrote:

> Does anyone have any advice on getting a serial stylus working in X
> after resume? Here is what I know:
>
> 1. The machine suspends and resumes fine while in X; all devices work
> except the stylus. No amount of xsetpointer can can get it to
> reinitialize the mouse.
>
> 2. The device node for stylus input is /dev/ttyS0. Upon resume, the
> stylus no longer works without restarting X. However, running something
> like:
>
> # cat /dev/ttyS0
>
> ...still produces the standard mouse output when you move the stylus
> around.
>
> Is there any way to kick X in the knees and get it to reinitialize it's
> input devices?

Hm, never saw this behavior on SUSE, all works perfect with SUSE 10.0 and
linuxwacom 0.7.

What use you to suspend?