Serial tablet and linuxwacom in 2016

nazmo
(Nazmi from Normandy France, 17., student)
Hi,
I have a rather old CT-0405-R wacom PenPartner tablet, once I managed to get it partially working under windows 7 with some drivers from wacom, then I switched to Linux Debian Jessie 64 and I searched on how to use it, I found some old articles detailling on how to proceed and some more recent data (2010s) that said that legacy serial tablets are not working anymore with the linuxwacom driver, is it so ? Why ? Is there a way to overcome this situation ?

I found this guy: https://codelab.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/wacom-hacking/
he apparently made a patch, would I need it, would it have any positive effect on the situation ?

I also looked at the wiki: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Serial_Help
and I found that apparently it is possible to get that working by doing all the configuration and stuff but I would need a X server version prior to v1.7 which I doubt I have (if you know how to discover my version of the x.org server, I would be interested too).

Thanks in advance for your time

Re: Serial tablet and linuxwacom in 2016

Jason Gerecke
On 03/23/2016 06:51 PM, nazmo wrote:

> (Nazmi from Normandy France, 17., student)
> Hi,
> I have a rather old CT-0405-R wacom PenPartner tablet, once I managed to get
> it partially working under windows 7 with some drivers from wacom, then I
> switched to Linux Debian Jessie 64 and I searched on how to use it, I found
> some old articles detailling on how to proceed and some more recent data
> (2010s) that said that legacy serial tablets are not working anymore with
> the linuxwacom driver, is it so ? Why ? Is there a way to overcome this
> situation ?
>
> I found this guy: https://codelab.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/wacom-hacking/
> he apparently made a patch, would I need it, would it have any positive
> effect on the situation ?
>
> I also looked at the wiki:
> http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Serial_Help
> and I found that apparently it is possible to get that working by doing all
> the configuration and stuff but I would need a X server version prior to
> v1.7 which I doubt I have (if you know how to discover my version of the
> x.org server, I would be interested too).
>
> Thanks in advance for your time

Support for serial tablets (other than those serial sensors built into
tablet PCs) was removed during the transition from the old "linuxwacom"
driver to the current "xf86-input-wacom" driver at the end of 2009. I
can only guess why support was dropped, but my guess would be that it
was deemed too much work to port into the new driver given how few
people would use it.

The legacy "linuxwacom" driver that would have support is only
compatible with X servers prior to 1.7, but such an old X server hasn't
been shipped with Linux distributions in ages. (If you're really
interested in knowing the version you have installed, you can generally
find it by looking in your Xorg.0.log -- possibly found in the /var/log
or ~/.local/share/xorg directories -- I have version 1.18, for instance).

The patch that you found almost certainly does not apply to the code any
more since there have been a great number of changes made in the past 5
years. I suppose it could be reworked, but we wouldn't be interested in
merging it since our X driver really shouldn't be in charge of serial
communications in the first place...

Instead, I would take a look at at [1], which has apparently provides a
driver (with patched `inputattach` daemon) for the old serial PenPartner
devices. If your system has version 3.17 of the Linux kernel or newer,
you shouldn't even need that driver since its apparently been accepted
upstream. With that driver in place, you should be able to simply run
something like `sudo inputattach --wacom_iv /dev/ttyS0` and have a new
input device under /dev/input/event* show up that the current version of
the X driver can use.

[1]: http://www.cipht.net/2011/07/02/wacom_serial-initial-release.html

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
(That is to say, eight) to the two, /
But you can’t take seven from three, /

[...]

Thanks for your response and for your explanations about everything (I like when people explain things instead of just saying it's not going to work because that enables me to learn a bit on how everything works)

about the [1], thanks for making me discover it, I tried the command with a native Serial port and after with an USB to serial converter, the line isn't given back to me so the command tries something but it doesn't seem to work,
I'll try to reboot and see what happens, if after some tinkering I can't get it working, I'll try contacting the dev of the driver you showed me, he seems pretty cool from what I read and maybe he will be able to help, I tried the help of the command inputattach and found that there is two options for serial wacom tablets:
the W8001 which is for Penabled tablet PCs which is not what I need
and the wacom IV you showed me on your message, this one should be OK for my tablet so I guess and hope it's just a matter of configuring something
I come back when I have some more infos ;)