Support for Cintiq Companion 2

Niek Bergman
Hello,

I'm currently trying to get a Cintiq Companion 2 working under Linux.
It appears this device is currently not yet supported. (unless I am
mistaken)

Observations from my short usage of the device:

At the moment, I've tried connecting it over the HDMI/USB Cintiq link
cable as a slave/secondary monitor to my other Linux desktop machine.

The following Pastebin lists the difference in a lsusb call before and
after connecting the device:

http://pastebin.com/Pkzg6fMb

At the moment, it appears the touchscreen *is* detected and
functional, however: Its input is mapped to my main monitor and not
the external Cintiq screen.

Pen input does not work.

What I also noticed is the following message during connection in my
kernel logs:

[ 7487.589194] wacom: probe of 0003:056A:0325.0005 failed with error -22

This error seems to not occur if the "usbhid" module is not present.
However, the touchscreen also does not work if this module is not
present.

A basic test ran by running a live ISO seemed to indicate that running
Linux directly on the Companion 2 also had the same level of support
(touchscreen works, on the correct screen as it is the only one
available/no pen input possible). I was not able to run lsusb/etc on
the device while booted from Linux yet as the device has no keyboard
and I did not have a USB keyboard available to me during testing. I
have one available now, however, so I could take more observations
from there, if desired.

Is there currently anything I could do to help in getting this device supported?

Sincerely,

Niek Bergman

Re: Support for Cintiq Companion 2

Jason Gerecke
On 3/11/2015 12:29 AM, Niek Bergman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently trying to get a Cintiq Companion 2 working under Linux.
> It appears this device is currently not yet supported. (unless I am
> mistaken)
>
> Observations from my short usage of the device:
>
> At the moment, I've tried connecting it over the HDMI/USB Cintiq link
> cable as a slave/secondary monitor to my other Linux desktop machine.
>
> The following Pastebin lists the difference in a lsusb call before and
> after connecting the device:
>
> http://pastebin.com/Pkzg6fMb
>
> At the moment, it appears the touchscreen *is* detected and
> functional, however: Its input is mapped to my main monitor and not
> the external Cintiq screen.
>
> Pen input does not work.
>
> What I also noticed is the following message during connection in my
> kernel logs:
>
> [ 7487.589194] wacom: probe of 0003:056A:0325.0005 failed with error -22
>
> This error seems to not occur if the "usbhid" module is not present.
> However, the touchscreen also does not work if this module is not
> present.
>
> A basic test ran by running a live ISO seemed to indicate that running
> Linux directly on the Companion 2 also had the same level of support
> (touchscreen works, on the correct screen as it is the only one
> available/no pen input possible). I was not able to run lsusb/etc on
> the device while booted from Linux yet as the device has no keyboard
> and I did not have a USB keyboard available to me during testing. I
> have one available now, however, so I could take more observations
> from there, if desired.
>
> Is there currently anything I could do to help in getting this device supported?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Niek Bergman

It doesn't look like the Cintiq Companion 2 is in our driver's list of
explicitly supported devices. Given that the touchscreen works though,
it sounds like you're on a fairly new kernel version. Just to be sure,
could you run `uname -r` and let us know what it reports?

Please try compiling and installing our input-wacom driver[1] from git,
with the attached patch applied. The pen should work without issue,
though I'm not positive about the touchscreen. Let us know if you have
any questions or feedback.

[1]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
(That is to say, eight) to the two, /
But you can’t take seven from three, /

0001-WIP-Add-support-for-Cintiq-Companion-2.patch (1K) Download Attachment

On 3/11/2015 11:43 AM, Jason Gerecke wrote:

> On 3/11/2015 12:29 AM, Niek Bergman wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm currently trying to get a Cintiq Companion 2 working under Linux.
>> It appears this device is currently not yet supported. (unless I am
>> mistaken)
>>
>> Observations from my short usage of the device:
>>
>> At the moment, I've tried connecting it over the HDMI/USB Cintiq link
>> cable as a slave/secondary monitor to my other Linux desktop machine.
>>
>> The following Pastebin lists the difference in a lsusb call before and
>> after connecting the device:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/Pkzg6fMb
>>
>> At the moment, it appears the touchscreen *is* detected and
>> functional, however: Its input is mapped to my main monitor and not
>> the external Cintiq screen.
>>
>> Pen input does not work.
>>
>> What I also noticed is the following message during connection in my
>> kernel logs:
>>
>> [ 7487.589194] wacom: probe of 0003:056A:0325.0005 failed with error -22
>>
>> This error seems to not occur if the "usbhid" module is not present.
>> However, the touchscreen also does not work if this module is not
>> present.
>>
>> A basic test ran by running a live ISO seemed to indicate that running
>> Linux directly on the Companion 2 also had the same level of support
>> (touchscreen works, on the correct screen as it is the only one
>> available/no pen input possible). I was not able to run lsusb/etc on
>> the device while booted from Linux yet as the device has no keyboard
>> and I did not have a USB keyboard available to me during testing. I
>> have one available now, however, so I could take more observations
>> from there, if desired.
>>
>> Is there currently anything I could do to help in getting this device
>> supported?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Niek Bergman
>>

> It doesn't look like the Cintiq Companion 2 is in our driver's list of
> explicitly supported devices. Given that the touchscreen works though,
> it sounds like you're on a fairly new kernel version. Just to be sure,
> could you run `uname -r` and let us know what it reports?
>
> Please try compiling and installing our input-wacom driver[1] from git,
> with the attached patch applied. The pen should work without issue,
> though I'm not positive about the touchscreen. Let us know if you have
> any questions or feedback.
>
> [1]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom

Just following up on this since the window of time to get patches into
the Linux 4.1 release will end very soon. Any luck getting that patch to
work?

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
(That is to say, eight) to the two, /
But you can’t take seven from three, /

Serial Wacom Intuos2 driver problem on Suse 13.2 64b

Mauricio Hunt

 Hello

 Got a new pc and installed opensuse 13.2 64. All goo, just tried to install the driver that I was using for my Intuos2 Serial tablet but unfortunately it's failing, it worked with Suse 12.3 32b version.

 The first problems comes when trying to patch inputattach:

 patching file inputattach.patch
 patching file utils/inputattach.c
 Hunk #1 succeeded at 644 with fuzz 1 (offset 185 lines).

 Hunk #2 FAILED at 599. <<<<<<<< HERE
 1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file utils/inputattach.c.rej

 patching file utils/serio-ids.h
 Hunk #1 succeeded at 143 with fuzz 2 (offset 18 lines).

 Even if it succeeds, the following command 'make' fails:

 make -C utils compile
 make[1]: Entering directory '/data/Workbench/Download/wacom_serial/linuxconsoletools-1.4.8/utils'
 cc -g -O2 -Wall inputattach.c -o inputattach
 inputattach.c:636:12: error: redefinition of ‘wacom_v_init’
 static int wacom_v_init(int fd, unsigned long *id, unsigned long *extra)
 ^
 inputattach.c:625:12: note: previous definition of ‘wacom_v_init’ was here
 static int wacom_v_init(int fd, unsigned long *id, unsigned long *extra)
 ^
 inputattach.c:647:12: error: redefinition of ‘wacom_v_init’
 static int wacom_v_init(int fd, unsigned long *id, unsigned long *extra)
 ^
 inputattach.c:636:12: note: previous definition of ‘wacom_v_init’ was here
 static int wacom_v_init(int fd, unsigned long *id, unsigned long *extra)
 ^
 inputattach.c:625:12: warning: ‘wacom_v_init’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 static int wacom_v_init(int fd, unsigned long *id, unsigned long *extra)
 ^
 inputattach.c:636:12: warning: ‘wacom_v_init’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 static int wacom_v_init(int fd, unsigned long *id, unsigned long *extra)
 ^
 inputattach.c:647:12: warning: ‘wacom_v_init’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 static int wacom_v_init(int fd, unsigned long *id, unsigned long *extra)
 ^
 <builtin>: recipe for target 'inputattach' failed
 make[1]: *** [inputattach] Error 1
 make[1]: Leaving directory '/data/Workbench/Download/wacom_serial/linuxconsoletools-1.4.8/utils'
 Makefile:29: recipe for target 'compile' failed
 make: *** [compile] Error 2

 I already searched and didn't found a solution so far, which is not strange due to the old hardware I'm trying to use, anybody had the same problem, is there a solution.

 Thank you.

 These are the instructions I always follow and used to work, always used latest versions of the files mentioned here:

 *********************************
 With my thanks to Favux from the linuxwacom-discuss mail list, who helped me step by step to make the installation of the
 neceesary driver and aditional tool so I was able to have my Wacom Intuos 2 Serial tablet working.

 Installation for Wacom Intuos 2 Serial Tablet.

 Some notes on my system:

 My kernel: 3.4.11-2.16-default (use uname -r command)
 My X version: X.Org X Server 1.12.3 (use V -version)

 I used a console logged as 'root', otherwise you have to use the 'sudo' prefix,

 1) downloaded wacom_serial5 from RoaldFre, you can find it here:

 https://github.com/RoaldFre/wacom_serial5

 This downalod includes the inputattach.patch file that you'll need on step 2.

 Extract the files into it's own directory, should be 'wacom_serial5'.

 Compile and install with these commands:

 cd wacom_serial5

 make all

 cp wacom_serial5.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet

 depmod -a

 2) Download linuxconsoletools-1.4.2 from the Linux Console Proyect here:

 http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxconsole/

 Extract the files into it's own directory, should be linuxconsoletools-1-4.2

 I have OpenSuse 12.2, to compile linuxconsoletools you need to have 'libsdl1.2-dev' installed, in the case of my distro, the
 name is different: libSDL-1_2-0 so I had to install libSDL-devel, use YAST so it'll download the dependencies which can be several files.

 Once installed you can patch inputattach and then compile and install linuxconsoletools:

 cd linuxconsoletools-1.4.2

 patch -p1 < ../wacom_serial5/inputattach.patch

 make

 make install

 The resulting inputattach bin will be located on '/usr/local/bin/' and it's possible that your console does not automatically
 connects it to '/usr/bin', like it happened to me, so I specified the full path to activate inputattach: (make sure the tablet is pluged and 'on'.

 /usr/local/bin/inputattach --wacom_v /dev/ttyS1

 ttyS1 is COM2, where I have the tabled connected, if you have it connected on COM1 then you have to use ttyS0.

 To auto-start that last command, copy the command to rc.local in /etc, do not use the 'sudo' prefix.

 /usr/local/bin/inputattach --wacom_v /dev/ttyS1

 exit 0

SOLVED: Serial Wacom Intuos2 driver problem on Suse 13.2 64b

Mauricio Hunt
I solved the problem by using a previous version of both wacomserial5 and linuxconsoletools which by luck were on one of my my backups.

I read this driver will be included in a future kernel, but in the meantime, I hope the problem wit the patch is solved.

> [...]
>
> Once installed you can patch inputattach and then compile and install linuxconsoletools:
>
> cd linuxconsoletools-1.4.2
>
> patch -p1 < ../wacom_serial5/inputattach.patch
>
> make
>
> make install

> The resulting inputattach bin will be located on '/usr/local/bin/' and it's possible that your console does not automatically
> connects it to '/usr/bin', like it happened to me, so I specified the full path to activate inputattach: (make sure the tablet is pluged and 'on'.

> /usr/local/bin/inputattach --wacom_v /dev/ttyS1

> ttyS1 is COM2, where I have the tabled connected, if you have it connected on COM1 then you have to use ttyS0.
>

> To auto-start that last command, copy the command to rc.local in /etc, do not use the 'sudo' prefix.

> /usr/local/bin/inputattach --wacom_v /dev/ttyS1

Cliff Jolly
> Just following up on this since the window of time to get patches into
> the Linux 4.1 release will end very soon. Any luck getting that patch to
> work?

Hi. I'm not the original poster, but I just picked up a Companion 2 and I've been spending all night trying to get it to work.

I tried the patch you attached to this thread, and it seems to be working! I have stylus pressure sensitivity and angle detection, erasure pressure sensitivity and angle detection, and it seems to do palm rejection automatically. Let me know if you want me to test anything in particular. This is just running Ubuntu 15.04, with kernel 3.19.0 on a live USB install.

(Oh, and the device's wifi, sound, and video drivers all seem to be working, in case anyone's curious.)

Thanks!

On 8/18/2015 2:21 AM, Cliff Jolly wrote:

>> Just following up on this since the window of time to get patches into
>> the Linux 4.1 release will end very soon. Any luck getting that patch to
>> work?
>
> Hi. I'm not the original poster, but I just picked up a Companion 2 and I've
> been spending all night trying to get it to work.
>
> I tried the patch you attached to this thread, and it seems to be working! I
> have stylus pressure sensitivity and angle detection, erasure pressure
> sensitivity and angle detection, and it seems to do palm rejection
> automatically. Let me know if you want me to test anything in particular.
> This is just running Ubuntu 15.04, with kernel 3.19.0 on a live USB install.
>
> (Oh, and the device's wifi, sound, and video drivers all seem to be working,
> in case anyone's curious.)
>
> Thanks!

Good to hear!

Does the touchscreen seem to work okay? There were problems in the
past*, and I was hoping for some additional testing. If you /do/
encounter issues with the touchscreen it would be very good to know if
my "add/cintiq-companion-2" branch on Github works any better since it
has touchscreen fixes that weren't part of my prior patch.

A general overview of the process can be found at [1], but because
you'll need to get the code from Github and are working from a live USB
the exact process will be a little different:

$ git clone git://github.com/jigpu/input-wacom.git
$ cd input-wacom
$ git checkout add/cintiq-companion-2
$ ./autogen.sh
$ make
$ sudo modprobe -r wacom
$ sudo insmod 3.17/wacom.ko

Either way, if the touchscreen seems to work for you I can submit the
patches up to the Linux kernel mailinglist. They'd probably end up
landing in the 4.3 release based on the current timing.

Thanks for the feedback, by the way :) I've been holding off on
submitting any patches until I knew they worked, but very few people
have the hardware, time, and experience...

* The issues were described to me off-list as "Touchscreen doesn't
really work properly, with or without the driver. It seems buttons get
stuck, and occasionally tapping registers as a right click instead of a
left, and presses register in the wrong place after some time. It also
seems to stop responding at all after some time of use, occasionally."

[1]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
(That is to say, eight) to the two, /
But you can’t take seven from three, /

Re: Support for Cintiq Companion 2

Cliff Jolly
I installed Debian Testing on the Cintiq Companion 2, and I've tested out the branch you linked.

The touch input does not work. It gives you about two or three pokes that go to random screen locations and then everything (stylus and all) stops working. In fact, the Xorg.0.log file is getting filled up with this line over and over again:
(EE) Wacom ISDv5 326 Finger touch: usbParse: Exceeded Event queue (32)

I disabled the input device in my xorg.conf and it seems like the stylus behaves okay on its own so far. No more Xorg.0.log spam. I'm okay with this, because I can get back to doodling on my new toy immediately, but I'm happy to help diagnose and fix the problem if there's anything specific you'd like me to try.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 9:50 AM, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8/18/2015 2:21 AM, Cliff Jolly wrote:
>> Just following up on this since the window of time to get patches into
>> the Linux 4.1 release will end very soon. Any luck getting that patch to
>> work?
>
> Hi. I'm not the original poster, but I just picked up a Companion 2 and I've
> been spending all night trying to get it to work.
>
> I tried the patch you attached to this thread, and it seems to be working! I
> have stylus pressure sensitivity and angle detection, erasure pressure
> sensitivity and angle detection, and it seems to do palm rejection
> automatically. Let me know if you want me to test anything in particular.
> This is just running Ubuntu 15.04, with kernel 3.19.0 on a live USB install.
>
> (Oh, and the device's wifi, sound, and video drivers all seem to be working,
> in case anyone's curious.)
>
> Thanks!

Good to hear!

Does the touchscreen seem to work okay? There were problems in the
past*, and I was hoping for some additional testing. If you /do/
encounter issues with the touchscreen it would be very good to know if
my "add/cintiq-companion-2" branch on Github works any better since it
has touchscreen fixes that weren't part of my prior patch.

A general overview of the process can be found at [1], but because
you'll need to get the code from Github and are working from a live USB
the exact process will be a little different:

$ git clone git://github.com/jigpu/input-wacom.git
$ cd input-wacom
$ git checkout add/cintiq-companion-2
$ ./autogen.sh
$ make
$ sudo modprobe -r wacom
$ sudo insmod 3.17/wacom.ko

Either way, if the touchscreen seems to work for you I can submit the
patches up to the Linux kernel mailinglist. They'd probably end up
landing in the 4.3 release based on the current timing.

Thanks for the feedback, by the way :) I've been holding off on
submitting any patches until I knew they worked, but very few people
have the hardware, time, and experience...

* The issues were described to me off-list as "Touchscreen doesn't
really work properly, with or without the driver. It seems buttons get
stuck, and occasionally tapping registers as a right click instead of a
left, and presses register in the wrong place after some time. It also
seems to stop responding at all after some time of use, occasionally."

[1]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
(That is to say, eight) to the two, /
But you can’t take seven from three, /

Re: Support for Cintiq Companion 2

Cliff Jolly
It seems that the pad button configuration for the Cintiq Hybrid is not compatible with the Cintiq Companion 2. I made a few changes to fix it and sent a PR for the branch you linked, Jason Gerecke.