Quantcast

Tablet Support

Mike Blumenkrantz
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a tablet which supports pen, touch, and multi touch. I saw the CTH-490AK, and it seemed like this would fit my needs, but I can't find any direct confirmation that this device works well under Linux. Does anyone know whether this is the case?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Tablet Support

Jason Gerecke
Hi Mike,

We have a list of known devices at [1] which includes some basic
software compatibility requirements. It looks like the CTH-490 should
be "out of the box" compatible with distributions that ship with at
least version 4.4 of the Linux kernel and version 0.16 of the libwacom
database. Distributions meeting these requirements include Fedora 24
and 25; Ubuntu 16.04, 16.10, and 17.04; and openSUSE Leap 42.2.

I should note, however, that there is a known bug [2] with the
Ubuntu's default "Unity" desktop which prevents the control panel from
detecting the tablet. If your heart is set on using Unity, you will
need to use the command-line based "xsetwacom" utility instead.
Distributions which use the GNOME desktop (e.g. Fedora or Ubuntu
GNOME) do not suffer from this issue. Additionally, both Unity and
GNOME control panels have issues configuring the tablet buttons; it
can be worked around, however.

[1]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Device_IDs
[2]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-control-center/+bug/1575887

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 5:00 AM, Mike Blumenkrantz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at getting a tablet which supports pen, touch, and multi touch.
> I saw the CTH-490AK, and it seemed like this would fit my needs, but I can't
> find any direct confirmation that this device works well under Linux. Does
> anyone know whether this is the case?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Re: Tablet Support

Mike Blumenkrantz
Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I saw the device list that you linked, but I wasn't sure if the AK model was included in the general listing. Also good to know about the issue you linked.

Thanks again,
Mike

On Tue, May 2, 2017, 5:02 PM Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
(That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
But you can’t take seven from three,    /
So you look at the sixty-fours....

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at getting a tablet which supports pen, touch, and multi touch.
> I saw the CTH-490AK, and it seemed like this would fit my needs, but I can't
> find any direct confirmation that this device works well under Linux. Does
> anyone know whether this is the case?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Re: Tablet Support

Jason Gerecke
No problem :) The letters in the suffix appear to /usually/ just
provide additional information that doesn't make a difference for our
driver (e.g. the "A" presumably indicates "Intuos Art", and the "K"
indicates that the tablet is black [I assume for the same reason "K"
is black in "CMYK"]).