Quantcast

Toggle screen with tablet button ?

Caetano Veyssières
Hi everyone,
Is there a command to switch between multiple monitors with a single pad button ? I didn't find any answer in the documentation nor in the xsetwacom manual.

Re: Toggle screen with tablet button ?

Jason Gerecke
Hi Caetano,

The X driver itself has no way to switch between monitors on its own
as it is completely unaware of the monitors or how they are connected.
That said, there /are/ ways to achieve this effect with some help from
your desktop environment / window manager.

If you're using GNOME, Unity, Cinnamon, etc., you should check if the
Wacom Tablet settings in the control panel provides a "Switch
Monitors" option in the pad button mapping options. This option may
not be available in all circumstances, but is by far the "best" way to
do this. For KDE, the "kcm-wacomtablet" settings provide options to
define keyboard shortcuts that change the pen mapping and the pad can
be configured to emit the necessary shortcut.

If these options aren't available, it may be possible to emulate what
KDE does provided your DE/WM provides a way to run arbitrary commands
`xsetwacom set <id> MapToOutput next` for both the stylus and eraser
devices, you could configure the DE/WM to run it in response to a
keyboard shortcut and then configure the desired pad button to emit
that shortcut. The special "next" option of MapToOutput can be used to
cycle a pen's mapping between all connected monitors and the entire
desktop.