Quantcast

Using two Wacom tablets on same machine?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Using two Wacom tablets on same machine?

bexnews
Im on LM17-64. I have a Wacom Bamboo wireless and a Wacom CTE-440, the former of which I miraculously got running per the instructions here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/530205/h ... untu-14-04

The Bamboo tablet I tend to use when on the road. I am planning to hook up my machine to a KVM switch for when I was not traveling, and was hoping to make use of the CTE-440 at that point.

1. My first question is if I have multiple machines on the KVM, and I want to use a Wacom tablet as a "mouse", do all those machines need to be able to individually use that tablet?

If so, I have not yet successfully setup the CTE-440 on my laptop yet. I plugin and it does not work. But if I need to get this to work, I see that in the link above it says not to edit xorg.conf if the other steps got the Bamboo tablet running. IIRC I did not need to edit xorg. In contrast when I goto http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index ... eforestart to consider how to install the CTE-440 it says "if you have Wacom related lines in your XF86Config/XF86Config-4 or xorg.conf files already, you should comment them out or remove them".

2. So how would I simultaneously not edit xorg and then also remove lines from it? Is there a way to switch back and forth or can I edit under certain restrictions? THanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dive into the World of Parallel Programming! The Go Parallel Website,
sponsored by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your
hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thought
leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a
look and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net
_______________________________________________
Linuxwacom-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linuxwacom-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Using two Wacom tablets on same machine?

Jason Gerecke
On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 4:24 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Im on LM17-64. I have a Wacom Bamboo wireless and a Wacom CTE-440, the
> former of which I miraculously got running per the instructions here:
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/530205/h ... untu-14-04
>
> The Bamboo tablet I tend to use when on the road. I am planning to hook up
> my machine to a KVM switch for when I was not traveling, and was hoping to
> make use of the CTE-440 at that point.
>
> 1. My first question is if I have multiple machines on the KVM, and I want
> to use a Wacom tablet as a "mouse", do all those machines need to be able to
> individually use that tablet?
>
A KVM is (typically) just a passive device that electrically connects
the peripherals on one side of the switch to the computers on the
other*. If a computer does not work with the tablet directly connected
to it, then it still won't work when connected through a KVM. The
CTE-440 has been around for a while, so I'd be surprised if any
configuration at all was necessary to get Linux Mint working with it.

> If so, I have not yet successfully setup the CTE-440 on my laptop yet. I
> plugin and it does not work. But if I need to get this to work, I see that
Its odd that you're having trouble getting the CTE-440 to work. That
should be well-supported by the 'wacom' kernel driver -- I use one
daily (on a different distro) myself. What do you see if you run
`lsmod | grep wacom`? Its not clear if you've tried adapting the
linked answer for use with the CTE-440 (i.e. adding
"usbhid.quirks=0x056a:0x0015:0x40000000" to your /etc/default/grub
file); if you have, I would remove those modifications since I can
guarantee that they're at least part of the problem (that particular
workaround works only for the Bamboo Pad and will cause issues if
adapted for any other tablet).

> in the link above it says not to edit xorg.conf if the other steps got the
> Bamboo tablet running. IIRC I did not need to edit xorg. In contrast when I
> goto http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index ... eforestart to consider how
> to install the CTE-440 it says "if you have Wacom related lines in your
> XF86Config/XF86Config-4 or xorg.conf files already, you should comment them
> out or remove them".
>
> 2. So how would I simultaneously not edit xorg and then also remove lines
> from it? Is there a way to switch back and forth or can I edit under certain
> restrictions? THanks!
>
You're confusing two different files. The linuxwacom document wants
you to remove any "wacom" entries from the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (if
you happen to have one for whatever reason). The "50-wacom.conf" file
is part of the X server's autodetection and configuration rules that
take their place. Linux Mint should ship with rules that work by
default, but replacing them with the suggested rules shouldn't cause
any problem.


* Some fancier KVMs actually are active devices that let all the
computers "see" the connected USB devices, even though only one device
is able to "use" it. It shouldn't affect any of what I have to say,
but it can potentially cause issues if the KVM manufacturer wasn't
careful.

Jason
---
Now instead of four in the eights place /
you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
(That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
But you can’t take seven from three,    /
So you look at the sixty-fours....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dive into the World of Parallel Programming! The Go Parallel Website,
sponsored by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your
hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thought
leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a
look and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net
_______________________________________________
Linuxwacom-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linuxwacom-discuss
Loading...