Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

bexnews
I'm using a Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1. It has worked for about a year just fine after I followed this answer http://askubuntu.com/a/531188/375819 to setup (pasted belo), up thru step 6.

However in the past few days it has stopped working for some reason and I cannot recall any changes on my system that would be the culprit. I checked the steps again below 1-6 and they all have been completed.

Any ideas to troubleshoot? Should I advance to step 7-8 in the below now that it has stopped working or something else?

  1. Run lsusb and get the Wacom device code. (In this example, 056a:0319) Add 0x to both strings. (With our example 0x056a and 0x0319). If your device is not on the below list, this solution may not work! Though unlikely, this may break your system. You have been warned.
  2. Open Gedit by running gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
  3. Look for the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash".
  4. Change it to this (Replace the 0x056a and 0x0319 with whatever you got in Step 1):
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash usbhid.quirks=0x056a:0x0319:0x40000000"
    Save and close Gedit.
  5. Don't forget to run
    sudo update-grub
    after you change grub!!!
  6. Reboot. If it works, DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER.

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

Jason Gerecke
Apologies for the delay. Could you please provide us with the version
of the kernel in use (`uname -r`)? If Mint has recently released a
kernel update, that could explain the issues that you're seeing. You
might have to install our backported "input-wacom" kernel driver [1],
but we'll have to see the version first to know if its compatible.

[1]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 6:47 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry but can anyone help? Thank you - Bexnews
>

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 9:10 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm using a Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1. It has worked
>> for about a year just fine after I followed this answer
>> http://askubuntu.com/a/531188/375819 to setup (pasted belo), up thru step 6.
>>
>> However in the past few days it has stopped working for some reason and I
>> cannot recall any changes on my system that would be the culprit. I checked
>> the steps again below 1-6 and they all have been completed.
>>
>> Any ideas to troubleshoot? Should I advance to step 7-8 in the below now
>> that it has stopped working or something else?
>>>

>>> Run lsusb and get the Wacom device code. (In this example, 056a:0319) Add
>>> 0x to both strings. (With our example 0x056a and 0x0319). If your device is
>>> not on the below list, this solution may not work! Though unlikely, this may
>>> break your system. You have been warned.
>>> Open Gedit by running gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
>>> Look for the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash".
>>> Change it to this (Replace the 0x056a and 0x0319 with whatever you got in
>>> Step 1):
>>>
>>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash
>>> usbhid.quirks=0x056a:0x0319:0x40000000"
>>>
>>> Save and close Gedit.
>>> Don't forget to run
>>>
>>> sudo update-grub
>>>
>>> after you change grub!!!
>>> Reboot. If it works, DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER.

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

bexnews
Thanks Jason,

Here's the result:
~ $ uname -r
3.13.0-24-generic

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 12:31 PM, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Apologies for the delay. Could you please provide us with the version
of the kernel in use (`uname -r`)? If Mint has recently released a
kernel update, that could explain the issues that you're seeing. You
might have to install our backported "input-wacom" kernel driver [1],
but we'll have to see the version first to know if its compatible.

[1]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
(That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
But you can’t take seven from three,    /
So you look at the sixty-fours....

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 6:47 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry but can anyone help? Thank you - Bexnews
>

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 9:10 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm using a Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1. It has worked
>> for about a year just fine after I followed this answer
>> http://askubuntu.com/a/531188/375819 to setup (pasted belo), up thru step 6.
>>
>> However in the past few days it has stopped working for some reason and I
>> cannot recall any changes on my system that would be the culprit. I checked
>> the steps again below 1-6 and they all have been completed.
>>
>> Any ideas to troubleshoot? Should I advance to step 7-8 in the below now
>> that it has stopped working or something else?
>>>

>>> Run lsusb and get the Wacom device code. (In this example, 056a:0319) Add
>>> 0x to both strings. (With our example 0x056a and 0x0319). If your device is
>>> not on the below list, this solution may not work! Though unlikely, this may
>>> break your system. You have been warned.
>>> Open Gedit by running gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
>>> Look for the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash".
>>> Change it to this (Replace the 0x056a and 0x0319 with whatever you got in
>>> Step 1):
>>>
>>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash
>>> usbhid.quirks=0x056a:0x0319:0x40000000"
>>>
>>> Save and close Gedit.
>>> Don't forget to run
>>>
>>> sudo update-grub
>>>
>>> after you change grub!!!
>>> Reboot. If it works, DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER.

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

Jason Gerecke
Hmmm. Well, that doesn't seem to be the culprit. Does the tablet show
up as a device in xsetwacom? Could you please attach (**not** copy and
paste!) the output of `dmesg` as well as your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
file? These would be useful in determining if and where the device is
being detected.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 12:33 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Jason,
>
> Here's the result:
> ~ $ uname -r
> 3.13.0-24-generic
>

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 12:31 PM, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Apologies for the delay. Could you please provide us with the version
>> of the kernel in use (`uname -r`)? If Mint has recently released a
>> kernel update, that could explain the issues that you're seeing. You
>> might have to install our backported "input-wacom" kernel driver [1],
>> but we'll have to see the version first to know if its compatible.
>>
>> [1]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom
>>
>> Jason
>> ---
>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 6:47 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Sorry but can anyone help? Thank you - Bexnews

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

Jason Gerecke
Thanks for the output. I don't see anything odd contained in either
file, so I'm still not sure what the issue could be. You may want to
try installing the 'evemu-tools' package from apt, and using its
"evemu-record" utility. If you run evemu-record, you should see a list
of all connected input devices. You'll want to run evemu-record for
each Wacom device listed and see if it produces any output in response
to moving around the stylus, using the touchpad, pressing the buttons,
etc. If the kernel is working correctly, events should be generated
from one of the devices whenever you're using the device. In either
case, I'd suggest attaching the output from each device under
evemu-record output for me to analyze.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 2:14 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jason,
>
> Per your request, below xsetwacom and enclosed.
>
>> ~ $ xsetwacom -v list
>> ... Display is '(null)'.
>> ... 'list' requested.
>> ... Found device 'Virtual core XTEST pointer' (4).
>> ... Found device 'Virtual core XTEST keyboard' (5).
>> ... Found device 'Power Button' (6).
>> ... Found device 'Video Bus' (7).
>> ... Found device 'Power Button' (8).
>> ... Found device 'Sleep Button' (9).
>> ... Found device 'Wacom Co.,Ltd. Bamboo Pad, wireless stylus' (10).
>> Wacom Co.,Ltd. Bamboo Pad, wireless stylus    id: 10    type: STYLUS
>> ... Found device 'Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless PID:4004' (11).
>> ... Found device 'USB Video Device' (12).
>> ... Found device 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard' (13).
>> ... Found device 'ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad' (14).
>> ... Found device 'Wacom Co.,Ltd. Bamboo Pad, wireless eraser' (15).
>> Wacom Co.,Ltd. Bamboo Pad, wireless eraser    id: 15    type: ERASER
>> ... Found device 'Wacom Co.,Ltd. Bamboo Pad, wireless pad' (16).
>> Wacom Co.,Ltd. Bamboo Pad, wireless pad    id: 16    type: PAD
>>

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 6:20 PM, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm. Well, that doesn't seem to be the culprit. Does the tablet show
>> up as a device in xsetwacom? Could you please attach (**not** copy and
>> paste!) the output of `dmesg` as well as your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> file? These would be useful in determining if and where the device is
>> being detected.
>>
>> Jason
>> ---
>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 12:33 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Thanks Jason,
>> >
>> > Here's the result:
>> > ~ $ uname -r
>> > 3.13.0-24-generic

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

bexnews
Sorry, I seem to have gotten stuck installing Evemu, per here - any ideas?

 ~ $ git clone git://git.freedesktop.org/git/evemu
Cloning into 'evemu'...
remote: Counting objects: 2187, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (2187/2187), 1.26 MiB | 516.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (1527/1527), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
 ~ $ cd evemu
 ~/evemu $ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: creating directory config-aux
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
configure.ac:28: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
      See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
 ~/evemu $ make && sudo make install
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> Hmmm. Well, that doesn't seem to be the culprit. Does the tablet show
>> up as a device in xsetwacom? Could you please attach (**not** copy and
>> paste!) the output of `dmesg` as well as your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> file? These would be useful in determining if and where the device is
>> being detected.
>>
>> Jason
>> ---
>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 12:33 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Thanks Jason,
>> >
>> > Here's the result:
>> > ~ $ uname -r
>> > 3.13.0-24-generic

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

Have you tried just running `apt-get install evemu-tools`? That works
for Debian and Ubuntu, so I'd be surprised if it didn't work for Mint.

On 10/26/2015 6:12 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>     >> >> >>> usbhid.quirks=0x056a:0x0319:0x40000000"
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>> Save and close Gedit.
>     >> >> >>> Don't forget to run
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>> sudo update-grub
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>> after you change grub!!!
>     >> >> >>> Reboot. If it works, DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER.
>     >> >> >>
>     >> >> >>
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> >
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >
>     >

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

The fact that the tablet started working while evemu-record was running
is very strange -- I've seen it happen once before but can't remember
off the top of my head what was going wrong. The output looks normal, so
there probably isn't anything wrong with the kernel driver.

You might try using xsetwacom to make our X driver produce additional
log info. Run the commands below, and then make a few strokes with your
tablet:

$ for ID in $(xsetwacom list | cut -f2 | -cut -d ' ' -f2); do xsetwacom
set $ID TabletDebugLevel 9; xsetwacom set $ID ToolDebugLevel 9; done
$ tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log > /tmp/log

Afterwards, press CTRL+C to stop the above program and then run the
following command to reset the log level:

$ for ID in $(xsetwacom list | cut -f2 | -cut -d ' ' -f2); do xsetwacom
set $ID TabletDebugLevel 0; xsetwacom set $ID ToolDebugLevel 0; done

Finally, attach the generated /tmp/log file for analysis.

On 10/27/2015 9:46 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>     >     >> >> >>
>     >     >> >> >>
>     >     >> >> >
>     >     >> >> >
>     >     >> >> >
>     >     >> >> >
>     >     >> >> >
>     >
>     >     >> >> > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >     >> >> >
>     https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linuxwacom-discuss
>     >     >> >> >
>     >     >> >
>     >     >> >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >
>     >

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

Apologies for the confusion -- yes, those commands are intended to be
copy/pasted as-is. The '$' at the beginning of the line represents the
terminal prompt as you guessed, but '$' is also used elsewhere inside
the lines as a way of doing some simple scripting. That can make it a
little hard to figure out where one line stops and the next begins, so
I'll reformat things to hopefully be clearer:

Command 1:
$ for ID in $(xsetwacom list | cut -f2 | -cut -d ' ' -f2); do
xsetwacom set $ID TabletDebugLevel 9; xsetwacom set $ID ToolDebugLevel
9; done

Command 2:
$ tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log > /tmp/log

(Make a few strokes with the stylus at this point)

(Press CTRL+C in the terminal to stop Command 2)

Command 3:
$ for ID in $(xsetwacom list | cut -f2 | -cut -d ' ' -f2); do
xsetwacom set $ID TabletDebugLevel 0; xsetwacom set $ID ToolDebugLevel
0; done

(Attach /tmp/log to a reply for me to review)

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 5:46 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >     >     >> >> >>
>> >     >     >> >> >>
>> >     >     >> >> >
>> >     >     >> >> >
>> >     >     >> >> >
>> >     >     >> >> >
>> >     >     >> >> >
>> >     >

>> >     >     >> >> > [hidden email]
>> >     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> >     >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>> >     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>> >     >     >> >> >
>> >     https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linuxwacom-discuss
>> >     >     >> >> >
>> >     >     >> >
>> >     >     >> >
>> >     >     >
>> >     >     >
>> >     >
>> >     >

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

Sorry about the delay, Andrew. The log doesn't contain any of the
debugging lines I was expecting to see, which means that the driver
probably isn't getting anything from the kernel. You mentioned that
although the tablet started working the first time you ran
evemu-record, it didn't work on subsuquent tries. Do you remember if
evemu-record reported any events in those cases? Does reconnecting the
tablet or rebooting seem to change whether evemu-record reports events
or not?

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 5:14 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jason,
>
> Did this log help at all? I really appreciate all your help.
>
> Thank you, Andrew
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 7:05 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Log enclosed. I assume I only make Wacom input after command 2 and after
>> command 3 do a "control+c".
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 4:39 PM, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> *doh* The fault is mine. If you look closely, there's a "-cut" which
>>> should be just "cut". Not sure where that hyphen appeared from.
>>> Hopefully third time's the charm:
>>>
>>> Command 1:
>>> $ for ID in $(xsetwacom list | cut -f2 | cut -d ' ' -f2); do xsetwacom
>>> set $ID TabletDebugLevel 9; xsetwacom set $ID ToolDebugLevel 9; done
>>>
>>> Command 2:
>>> $ tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log > /tmp/log
>>>
>>> Command 3:
>>> for ID in $(xsetwacom list | cut -f2 | cut -d ' ' -f2); do xsetwacom
>>> set $ID TabletDebugLevel 0; xsetwacom set $ID ToolDebugLevel 0; done
>>>
>>> Jason
>>> ---
>>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>>> So you look at the sixty-fours....

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

bexnews
Jason,

Is it possible I did not execute the prior xsetwacom commands or the strokes properly? As I said after the 2nd and 3rd command I was not getting any output until I did a "control+c" which I assume ends those commands.

I have rebooted several times since last I tried evemu. I ran thru the Evemu commands again - this time the tablet did not seem to give any kind of noticable movement to the cursor nor any events in the logging. I moved the stylus, toggled power on/off, hit the button - nothing happened. Full log enclosed. The only thing that happened was when I unplugged the usb dongle for the device I got a "E: 0.000000 0000 0000 0001    # ------------ SYN_REPORT (1) ----------
error: could not describe device" but plugging back in did not change anything.

Just for the heck of it, I reran the xsetwacom commands again, new log enclosed. I also included the commands I used just to make sure I didn't typo something....

Thanks for all your time and effort!

- A

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 8:01 PM, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry about the delay, Andrew. The log doesn't contain any of the
debugging lines I was expecting to see, which means that the driver
probably isn't getting anything from the kernel. You mentioned that
although the tablet started working the first time you ran
evemu-record, it didn't work on subsuquent tries. Do you remember if
evemu-record reported any events in those cases? Does reconnecting the
tablet or rebooting seem to change whether evemu-record reports events
or not?

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
(That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
But you can’t take seven from three,    /
So you look at the sixty-fours....

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 5:14 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jason,
>
> Did this log help at all? I really appreciate all your help.
>
> Thank you, Andrew
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 7:05 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Log enclosed. I assume I only make Wacom input after command 2 and after
>> command 3 do a "control+c".
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 4:39 PM, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> *doh* The fault is mine. If you look closely, there's a "-cut" which
>>> should be just "cut". Not sure where that hyphen appeared from.
>>> Hopefully third time's the charm:
>>>
>>> Command 1:
>>> $ for ID in $(xsetwacom list | cut -f2 | cut -d ' ' -f2); do xsetwacom
>>> set $ID TabletDebugLevel 9; xsetwacom set $ID ToolDebugLevel 9; done
>>>
>>> Command 2:
>>> $ tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log > /tmp/log
>>>
>>> Command 3:
>>> for ID in $(xsetwacom list | cut -f2 | cut -d ' ' -f2); do xsetwacom
>>> set $ID TabletDebugLevel 0; xsetwacom set $ID ToolDebugLevel 0; done
>>>
>>> Jason
>>> ---
>>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>>> So you look at the sixty-fours....

evemu-record-2a.txt (19K) Download Attachment
commands.txt (734 bytes) Download Attachment
log (15K) Download Attachment

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

Jason Gerecke
Andrew,

None of the three commands I provided should produce any output on the
screen; everything should be going into the log file. Provided you're
moving the stylus around prior to pressing CTRL+C, it should be
writing out details of any events it gets from the kernel to the log.
The logfile this time shows that the Bamboo Pad was disconnected and
removed from the server, and then reconnected some three seconds
afterwards. Unfortunately, no events were logged, either in it or
evemu-record :(

Running evemu-record on the device that mentions ABS_X (number 5 in
your attached log) should always* produce events as long as the stylus
is in proximity of the tablet. If that's not the case, there's
something amiss with the kernel. Unfortunately, the Bamboo Pad wasn't
a device that we were able to support until Linux 3.17, and getting it
to work with the earlier kernel used by Mint (event 17.2) is tricky. I
had another look at the steps in the link you provided, but it doesn't
look like advancing to steps 7 and 8 would fix anything since all they
do is make sure our X driver is loading (which the logs you've
provided indicate is already the case). I'm not really sure where to
go from here, short of installing an updated kernel (which isn't
exactly the easiest thing in the world).

* Technically this wasn't true ages ago (i.e., if you have
xf86-input-wacom 0.17 or older). If you run `xsetwacom -V` it should
show you the version that is installed.

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 7:13 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jason,
>
> Is it possible I did not execute the prior xsetwacom commands or the strokes
> properly? As I said after the 2nd and 3rd command I was not getting any
> output until I did a "control+c" which I assume ends those commands.
>
> I have rebooted several times since last I tried evemu. I ran thru the Evemu
> commands again - this time the tablet did not seem to give any kind of
> noticable movement to the cursor nor any events in the logging. I moved the
> stylus, toggled power on/off, hit the button - nothing happened. Full log
> enclosed. The only thing that happened was when I unplugged the usb dongle
> for the device I got a "E: 0.000000 0000 0000 0001    # ------------
> SYN_REPORT (1) ----------
> error: could not describe device" but plugging back in did not change
> anything.
>
> Just for the heck of it, I reran the xsetwacom commands again, new log
> enclosed. I also included the commands I used just to make sure I didn't
> typo something....
>
> Thanks for all your time and effort!
>
> - A
>

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 8:01 PM, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry about the delay, Andrew. The log doesn't contain any of the
>> debugging lines I was expecting to see, which means that the driver
>> probably isn't getting anything from the kernel. You mentioned that
>> although the tablet started working the first time you ran
>> evemu-record, it didn't work on subsuquent tries. Do you remember if
>> evemu-record reported any events in those cases? Does reconnecting the
>> tablet or rebooting seem to change whether evemu-record reports events
>> or not?
>>
>> Jason
>> ---
>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 5:14 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Jason,
>> >
>> > Did this log help at all? I really appreciate all your help.
>> >
>> > Thank you, Andrew

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

bexnews
Jason,

$ xsetwacom -V
0.23.0

I tried one more time to run those commands and produce a log file. Results enclosed.

I guess in looking at my options for using Wacom with Linux Mint... would a future release of Linux Mint that I would upgrade to, necessarily include the newer kernel or would that always be a separate (more cringe inducing) upgrade?

I also have a CTE-440 usb Wacom device. However when I plug that into my LM machine, it behaves erratically and does not seem to work properly. Is it worth attempting to troubleshoot with that by running thru the same commands? Or is there another smaller Wacom tablet (preferably wireless) like the CTH-300 that should work in LM 17.2? I really just use for email, document editing and web browsing as a touchpad/mouse replacement.

Thanks for all your kind help!

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 7:42 PM, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> although the tablet started working the first time you ran
>> evemu-record, it didn't work on subsuquent tries. Do you remember if
>> evemu-record reported any events in those cases? Does reconnecting the
>> tablet or rebooting seem to change whether evemu-record reports events
>> or not?
>>
>> Jason
>> ---
>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 5:14 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Jason,
>> >
>> > Did this log help at all? I really appreciate all your help.
>> >
>> > Thank you, Andrew

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

Although I obviously can't say for sure, I would expect the next Mint
release (17.3?) to have a new enough kernel. Unfortunately, that is
still a long way from being released (it's probably going to be based
on Ubuntu 16.04, itself 6 months away from release...). You /might/
have luck following the guide at [1] to look for a 3.17, 3.18, 3.19,
4.0, 4.1, or 4.2 kernel, any of which would be new enough to support
your Bamboo Pad without any hacks. You might also have better luck
upgrading to Mint 17.2, but again, I'm not sure if the newer kernels
are available in a repository for it...

The CTE-440 is definitely supported (I use one daily :)) and should
work without any special configuration, but the fact that it behaves
erratically is concerning. There's a small chance that its just some
kind of RF interference and that moving it or nearby electronics to a
different position will resolve things. It could just as easily be a
hardware issue though :|

We try to keep an up-to-date list of supported tablets at [2] if you
want to check if any particular tablet is supported by your kernel.

[1]: http://linuxbsdos.com/2014/12/06/how-to-upgrade-the-linux-mint-17-1-kernel-from-version-3-13-to-3-16/
[2]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Device_IDs

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 7:16 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > noticable movement to the cursor nor any events in the logging. I moved
>> > the
>> > stylus, toggled power on/off, hit the button - nothing happened. Full
>> > log
>> > enclosed. The only thing that happened was when I unplugged the usb
>> > dongle
>> > for the device I got a "E: 0.000000 0000 0000 0001    # ------------
>> > SYN_REPORT (1) ----------
>> > error: could not describe device" but plugging back in did not change
>> > anything.
>> >
>> > Just for the heck of it, I reran the xsetwacom commands again, new log
>> > enclosed. I also included the commands I used just to make sure I didn't
>> > typo something....
>> >
>> > Thanks for all your time and effort!
>> >
>> > - A

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

I have attempted to use the CTE-440 in different locations but the behavior is the same as before. I ran the same commands you had me run for the Bamboo and enclosed those.

I guess I am wondering if you think there is any value or danger in attempting to execute the steps past # 6 at http://askubuntu.com/a/531188/375819

Would it make any sense or tell me anything to run a LiveCD on this machine of LM (any version) and see if the Wacoms work there?

Andrew

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 6:59 PM, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > I have rebooted several times since last I tried evemu. I ran thru the
>> > Evemu
>> > commands again - this time the tablet did not seem to give any kind of
>> > noticable movement to the cursor nor any events in the logging. I moved
>> > the
>> > stylus, toggled power on/off, hit the button - nothing happened. Full
>> > log
>> > enclosed. The only thing that happened was when I unplugged the usb
>> > dongle
>> > for the device I got a "E: 0.000000 0000 0000 0001    # ------------
>> > SYN_REPORT (1) ----------
>> > error: could not describe device" but plugging back in did not change
>> > anything.
>> >
>> > Just for the heck of it, I reran the xsetwacom commands again, new log
>> > enclosed. I also included the commands I used just to make sure I didn't

xsetwacom dmesg evemu.txt (567K) Download Attachment
log (1M) Download Attachment
Xorg.0.log (139K) Download Attachment

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

Jason Gerecke
Andrew,

The kernel events being sent from the CTE-440 are definitely bad. I'm
not sure what's going on, but I would definitely be leaning to a
hardware issue since moving it around doesn't seem to change anything.

There is no particular danger in proceeding past step 6, but it almost
certainly won't have any effect. Step 7 updates a configuration file to
ensure that our X driver handles the tablet (but the logs you've sent
already indicate it does that), and step 9 has you build and install our
driver from source (which has the /tiniest/ chance of helping, but I
don't think anything make-or-break changes have occurred since 0.23.0).

Running a LiveCD might be interesting, though I would suggest and
up-to-date Ubuntu (15.10) or Fedora (23) since they will have kernels
that stand the best chance of supporting the Bamboo Pad.

On 11/10/2015 6:13 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>     >> >> >>> Command 3:
>     >> >> >>> for ID in $(xsetwacom list | cut -f2 | cut -d ' ' -f2); do
>     >> >> >>> xsetwacom
>     >> >> >>> set $ID TabletDebugLevel 0; xsetwacom set $ID
>     ToolDebugLevel 0;
>     >> >> >>> done
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>> Jason
>     >> >> >>> ---
>     >> >> >>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>     >> >> >>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>     >> >> >>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>     >> >> >>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>     >> >> >>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >
>     >

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

Well I LiveCD'd Ubuntu 15.10 64b and tested both Wacom tablets. The Bamboo pad still does not work. However the CTE-440 seems to work fine. So maybe a future edition of Linux Mint will fix these issues for me...

Andrew

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 6:57 PM, Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     >> >> >>> Command 3:
>     >> >> >>> for ID in $(xsetwacom list | cut -f2 | cut -d ' ' -f2); do
>     >> >> >>> xsetwacom
>     >> >> >>> set $ID TabletDebugLevel 0; xsetwacom set $ID
>     ToolDebugLevel 0;
>     >> >> >>> done
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>> Jason
>     >> >> >>> ---
>     >> >> >>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>     >> >> >>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>     >> >> >>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>     >> >> >>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>     >> >> >>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >
>     >

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

OK I am back with another effort! This time I am simply trying to get my CTE-440 working in Linux Mint. As stated previously I had been tweaking with my Zareason machine to get the Bamboo wireless pad CTH-300 to work to no success (though it did work for some time prior). OK so I had a separate W7 machine where I loaded a LM 17.3 Beta live CD and the CTE-440 worked great! So I decided to try upgrading my LM 17.2 machine to 17.3

However now on 17.3 when I try and use the CTE-440 it is very unstable. Pressing the tip does not work. The buttons behave highly erratic when pressed. However what is weird is I loaded 17.3 on a USB and live-USB loaded 17.3 and it books and works fine on Live-USB. Does this tell me anything about what may be causing issues? or anything else I can do to troubleshoot?

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 8:45 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     >> >> >>> Command 3:
>     >> >> >>> for ID in $(xsetwacom list | cut -f2 | cut -d ' ' -f2); do
>     >> >> >>> xsetwacom
>     >> >> >>> set $ID TabletDebugLevel 0; xsetwacom set $ID
>     ToolDebugLevel 0;
>     >> >> >>> done
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>> Jason
>     >> >> >>> ---
>     >> >> >>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>     >> >> >>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>     >> >> >>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>     >> >> >>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>     >> >> >>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >
>     >

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pad (CTH-300) on Linux Mint 17.1

Hmm. This reminds me of another discussion thread[1] where someone had
issues upgrading from Linux Mint 17.2 to 17.3 that weren't
reproducible with a fresh install. If you have a backup of your data
and don't mind re-applying any settings you may have, installing 17.3
fresh might be the solution. You might have to also install an update
to libwacom as indicated in the linked thread.

If you would rather not do a fresh install, I'll see if I can diagnose
the issue. I didn't have any luck reproducing the issue in the prior
thread though, so if your problem is related I'm not sure I'll be able
to figure anything out...

[1]: http://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/mailman/message/34714425/