Wacom Cintiq 21UX2 use with Solaris 10 x86

Wacom Cintiq 21UX2 use with Solaris 10 x86

Mark Souliotis

I am using the tablet connected to a RHEL 6.1 host and things are working well.

I have a need/desire to have our host run Solaris 10 x86 (Xorg 1.3) and have been unsuccessful on several ventures (using prebuilt as I do not have a proper Xorg SDK that I can utilize at this time to rebuild the driver); using the following versions of linuxwacom for various reasons, see below:

    linuxwacom-0.8.4-4a
    • wacom_drv.so will not load due to X server version incompatibility

    linuxwacom-0.7.8.3
    • wacom_drv.so loads without Xserver complaining
      • Using /dev/usb/hid2 for the usb device but attempts to open the device to communicate with the tablet fail
    • Reverts from USB to Serial as the interface with the tablet does not respond
    • The eraser/stylus/pad input devices are known to the Xserver but the devices do not have any associated classes and as a result, the xidump/wacdump programs to not show these devices as available
    • The cursor movement on the tablet is incorrectly scaled (likely due to all of the above issues)
I am hoping there is a solution to getting the tablet to interface correctly with the our native host  and Xserver versions.  There is little documentation for using a Wacom tablet with a Solaris 10 x86 (not Open Solaris) host/kernel...I am hoping someone has tried this.

Thank you, any and all support would be appreciated.
    Mark Souliotis
    Sr. Principal Engineer

    IDS SED Air Traffic Systems
    Raytheon Company
    +1 508.490.2219   (business)
    +1 978.973.5809   (cell)

    [hidden email]
    Raytheon Sustainability
    This message contains information that may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive mail for the addressee), you should not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or any information contained in this message. If you have received this message in error, please so advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

    Re: Wacom Cintiq 21UX2 use with Solaris 10 x86

    Peter Hutterer-3
    On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 02:38:23PM -0400, Mark Souliotis wrote:

    > I am using the tablet connected to a RHEL 6.1 host and things are working
    > well.
    >
    > I have a need/desire to have our host run Solaris 10 x86 (Xorg 1.3) and
    > have been unsuccessful on several ventures (using prebuilt as I do not have
    > a proper Xorg SDK that I can utilize at this time to rebuild the driver);
    > using the following versions of linuxwacom for various reasons, see below:
    >
    >    linuxwacom-0.8.4-4a
    >          wacom_drv.so will not load due to X server version incompatibility
    >
    >    linuxwacom-0.7.8.3
    >          wacom_drv.so loads without Xserver complaining
    >             Using /dev/usb/hid2 for the usb device but attempts to open the
    >             device to communicate with the tablet fail
    >          Reverts from USB to Serial as the interface with the tablet does
    >          not respond
    >          The eraser/stylus/pad input devices are known to the Xserver but
    >          the devices do not have any associated classes and as a result,
    >          the xidump/wacdump programs to not show these devices as available
    >          The cursor movement on the tablet is incorrectly scaled (likely
    >          due to all of the above issues)
    >
    > I am hoping there is a solution to getting the tablet to interface
    > correctly with the our native host  and Xserver versions.  There is little
    > documentation for using a Wacom tablet with a Solaris 10 x86 (not Open
    > Solaris) host/kernel...I am hoping someone has tried this.
    >
    > Thank you, any and all support would be appreciated.

    sorry for the late answer:
    the wacom X driver uses two backend interfaces: ISDv4 for compatible serial
    devices and the evdev interface for everything else. The evdev interface is
    a Linux-only interface, there are attempts to get it into FreeBSD (GSoC
    project 2014) but no other OS has it at this point.

    So unless you have a ISDv4 compatible device, you won't be able to run the
    driver on Solaris, sorry.

    Cheers,
       Peter

    Re: Wacom Cintiq 21UX2 use with Solaris 10 x86

    Jason Gerecke
    On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Peter Hutterer
    <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 02:38:23PM -0400, Mark Souliotis wrote:
    >>

    >> I am using the tablet connected to a RHEL 6.1 host and things are working
    >> well.
    >>
    >> I have a need/desire to have our host run Solaris 10 x86 (Xorg 1.3) and
    >> have been unsuccessful on several ventures (using prebuilt as I do not have
    >> a proper Xorg SDK that I can utilize at this time to rebuild the driver);
    >> using the following versions of linuxwacom for various reasons, see below:
    >>
    >>    linuxwacom-0.8.4-4a
    >>          wacom_drv.so will not load due to X server version incompatibility
    >>
    >>    linuxwacom-0.7.8.3
    >>          wacom_drv.so loads without Xserver complaining
    >>             Using /dev/usb/hid2 for the usb device but attempts to open the
    >>             device to communicate with the tablet fail
    >>          Reverts from USB to Serial as the interface with the tablet does
    >>          not respond
    >>          The eraser/stylus/pad input devices are known to the Xserver but
    >>          the devices do not have any associated classes and as a result,
    >>          the xidump/wacdump programs to not show these devices as available
    >>          The cursor movement on the tablet is incorrectly scaled (likely
    >>          due to all of the above issues)
    >>
    >> I am hoping there is a solution to getting the tablet to interface
    >> correctly with the our native host  and Xserver versions.  There is little
    >> documentation for using a Wacom tablet with a Solaris 10 x86 (not Open
    >> Solaris) host/kernel...I am hoping someone has tried this.
    >>
    >> Thank you, any and all support would be appreciated.
    >
    > sorry for the late answer:
    > the wacom X driver uses two backend interfaces: ISDv4 for compatible serial
    > devices and the evdev interface for everything else. The evdev interface is
    > a Linux-only interface, there are attempts to get it into FreeBSD (GSoC
    > project 2014) but no other OS has it at this point.
    >
    > So unless you have a ISDv4 compatible device, you won't be able to run the
    > driver on Solaris, sorry.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >    Peter

    That's not _quite_ true. Its a bit of work to track down and assemble
    everything, but the necessary code does exist.

    Just prior to their acquisition by Oracle, Sun was working on adding
    support for Wacom hardware to Solaris. They'd put together a kernel
    driver which exposed an evdev-like interface, as well as a (somewhat
    rough) patch to linuxwacom. The OpenSolaris developers were curating
    both for a time, but that project is dead at this point. You can still
    find the kernel driver in mirrors of the OpenSolaris tree[1], and a
    while back I created a 'solaris' branch on our linuxwacom repository
    which has the patch applied (as well as a 'solaris' branch on the
    xf86-input-wacom repository with a port of that patch).

    I've successfully tried the combination with Solaris 10, though the
    hardware support is pretty limited (a handful of pre-Intuos4 tablets).

    [1]: http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/common/io/usb/clients/usbinput/usbwcm/usbwcm.c?v=OPENSOLARIS