Wacom Intuos Art CTH-490

Tristan Hartmut Wettich
Hey linuxwacom-team,

I bought a 'Wacom Intuos Art' last week. It's the one with ID 056a:033c
and model number CTH-490.

Is this device supported already? On
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Device_IDs i saw it is
'expected' for kernel 4.4.

Well, I'm using openSUSE Tumbleweed with kernel 4.4 and it didn't work.
It even crashes my system if I try to use it. So I compiled and
installed Xf86-input-wacom version 0.32.0. Nothing changed.

I can plug it in and everything is fine until I try to use the pen on
the pad. Mouse doesn't move and after rougthly a minute everything
freezes. I cant even Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to command line.

If this device is not supported yet I could try to help you guys. But
that would be the other mailing list I guess.

So first things first: Is this thing supported or not?

regards,
Tristan Wettich

Re: Wacom Intuos Art CTH-490

Jason Gerecke
On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Tristan Hartmut Wettich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey linuxwacom-team,
>
> I bought a 'Wacom Intuos Art' last week. It's the one with ID 056a:033c
> and model number CTH-490.
>
> Is this device supported already? On
> http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Device_IDs i saw it is
> 'expected' for kernel 4.4.
>
> Well, I'm using openSUSE Tumbleweed with kernel 4.4 and it didn't work.
> It even crashes my system if I try to use it. So I compiled and
> installed Xf86-input-wacom version 0.32.0. Nothing changed.
>
> I can plug it in and everything is fine until I try to use the pen on
> the pad. Mouse doesn't move and after rougthly a minute everything
> freezes. I cant even Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to command line.
>
> If this device is not supported yet I could try to help you guys. But
> that would be the other mailing list I guess.
>
> So first things first: Is this thing supported or not?
>
> regards,
> Tristan Wettich

Although the 4.4 kernel includes a driver for the CTH-490, the
hardware ends up tickling a bug elsewhere in the kernel for a lot of
users which causes system lockups. A fix was made and queued for the
4.5 kernel, but apparently was never also added in to 4.4. I'll have
to poke someone about that...

Your best bet at the moment is to use the latest "input-wacom" release
which works around the bug:
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom

Re: Wacom Intuos Art CTH-490

Ioan-Adrian
Well if you're using tumbleweed then you can live on the bleeding edge :) Just use linus's master branch for the yet unreleased 4.5, the fix was merged there.

Or better yet if you know git just cherry-pick the commit e470127e9606b1fa151c4184243e61296d1e0c0f from linus's master to your 4.4.