Wacom Intuos CTH-480S won't work on a OpenSuse 13.1 setup with Kernel 3.13

Wacom Intuos CTH-480S won't work on a OpenSuse 13.1 setup with Kernel 3.13

Lukas Filzer
Hi, i have an Intuos CTH-480S on a Opensuse 13.1 with Kernel 3.13. Proprietary Nvidia drivers are installed. I have xf86-input-wacom 0.22.1, libwacom2 0.8-1.1 and kcm_tablet installed. My PC does not recognize the tablet.

Any suggestions?

Luke

Re: Wacom Intuos CTH-480S won't work on a OpenSuse 13.1 setup with Kernel 3.13

Jason Gerecke
Unfortunately, support for the new Intuos tablets was not completed in
time to make it in to the 3.13 kernel. It will be available in the
3.14 kernel that is expected to be released in the next few days, but
it may be significantly longer before OpenSUSE provides an updated
kernel. I would recommend using our input-wacom driver[1] in the
meantime. Version 0.20.0 contains support for the Intuos tablets.

Libwacom 0.8 will not recognize your tablet, but as that library is
only used for the GNOME control panel (which currently has issues
configuring the new Intuos and old Bamboo tablets anyway) you should
not be terribly impacted.

[1]: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Input-wacom

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Lukas Filzer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, i have an Intuos CTH-480S on a Opensuse 13.1 with Kernel 3.13.
> Proprietary Nvidia drivers are installed. I have xf86-input-wacom 0.22.1,
> libwacom2 0.8-1.1 and kcm_tablet installed. My PC does not recognize the
> tablet.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Luke

Re: Wacom Intuos CTH-480S won't work on a OpenSuse 13.1 setup with Kernel 3.13

Boris Month
Kernel 3.14 has been released by now. Are you sure it supports CTH-480S
now? I would like to know this because I'm planing to buy one but only
if it is support by 3.14.

Furthermore I use Manjaro Linux which doesn't use 3.14 as default. How
long does it generally take distributions to adopt the new kernel? Or is
it save and easy to switch to a new Kernel even if the distribution you
are using doesn't official support it?

Re: Wacom Intuos CTH-480S won't work on a OpenSuse 13.1 setup with Kernel 3.13

Jason Gerecke
Most distributions do not provide kernel updates aside from security
fixes. If you use e.g. Ubuntu 13.10, you are stuck with the 3.11
kernel. Only when the distribution makes another release will the
kernel version be bumped to something more recent (e.g. Ubuntu 14.04
is expected to ship with the 3.13 kernel).

Manjaro is a bit different, however, since it uses a "rolling release"
mechanism. I don't have any personal experience with Manjaro, but with
Arch (a close relative) updated kernels are made available after
sufficient testing to ensure things don't break. For Arch, this
usually means waiting a few weeks before an update is made available.
I imagine it would be approximately the same for Manjaro (perhaps a
little longer if they wait for Arch to finish testing the waters).

Unless you're comfortable configuring, compiling, installing, and
running an unsupported kernel, I wouldn't recommend it. Although in my
experience it is generally safe, there is always the possibility that
something goes wrong (especially in the configuration stage -- its all
too easy to forget to have it support some crucial device!) and you'll
need to have a "plan b" ready to let you recover.

I would suggest using input-wacom until the 3.14 kernel (which I can
confirm does support the new Intuos line) is made available for
Manjaro. It's a lot easier than messing with updating the kernel, and
there's less that can go wrong.

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Boris Month <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kernel 3.14 has been released by now. Are you sure it supports CTH-480S
> now? I would like to know this because I'm planing to buy one but only
> if it is support by 3.14.
>
> Furthermore I use Manjaro Linux which doesn't use 3.14 as default. How
> long does it generally take distributions to adopt the new kernel? Or is
> it save and easy to switch to a new Kernel even if the distribution you
> are using doesn't official support it?

Re: Wacom Intuos CTH-480S won't work on a OpenSuse 13.1 setup with Kernel 3.13

Boris Month
I got myself a CTH-480S "INTUOS pen & touch small" yesterday but I can't
get it to work.

I'm running the 3.13 kernel, which does not support the new Intuos line.
Basically I followed the instructions on the Arch Linux-wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wacom_Tablet#Check_if_kernel_drivers_needed_.28usually_not.29

As you suggested I tried using input-wacom.
pacman -S xf86-input-wacom
This is xf86-input-wacom 0.23.0-2. I guess this is the version
supporting the CTH-480S, right?

Since lsmod | grep wacom didn't return any results, I added the modules
to a .conf file in /etc/modules-load.d/
I just created a file called wacom-driver.conf containing only the
following line
wacom

After reboot lsmod | grep wacom returns:
wacom                  49509  0
usbcore               180304  9
ath3k,btusb,wacom,uvcvideo,rts5139,ehci_hcd,ehci_pci,usbhid,xhci_hcd

Here you can see the results of a few commands I typed into the shell
after adding the wacom kernel module to the .conf in
/etc/modules-luad.d/ and rebooting:
[boris@manjaro ~]$ lsusb | grep -i wacom
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 056a:0302 Wacom Co., Ltd

[boris@manjaro ~]$ dmesg | grep -i wacom
[    9.552658] usbcore: registered new interface driver wacom

[boris@manjaro ~]$ ls /dev/input
by-id/    event10  event14  event2  event6  js0
by-path/  event11  event15  event3  event7  mice
event0    event12  event16  event4  event8  mouse0
event1    event13  event17  event5  event9  mouse1

[boris@manjaro ~]$ ls /dev/input/by-id/
usb-046d_G15_GamePanel_LCD-event-kbd@
usb-046d_G15_Gaming_Keyboard-event-if01@
usb-046d_G15_Gaming_Keyboard-event-kbd@
usb-A4TECH_USB_Device-event-joystick@
usb-A4TECH_USB_Device-if01-event-mouse@
usb-A4TECH_USB_Device-if01-mouse@
usb-A4TECH_USB_Device-joystick@
usb-Chicony_Corp._Lenovo_EasyCamera-event-if00@

There is no output for:
cat /proc/bus/input/devices | grep -i wacom
and
xsetwacom --list devices

Thinking that cat /proc/bus/input/devices | grep -i wacom and xsetwacom
--list devices not returning anything could be caused be missing udev
rules, I installed wacom-udev from the AUR.
yaourt --noconfirm wacom-udev
Which add the file /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/10-wacom.rules to my file system.

I rebooted my system, but the installation of the package wacom-udev
doesn't seem to have changed anything. So I took a look at the file
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/10-wacom.rules
I found a line saying:
ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0302",
SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos-pt-s"
which matches the output lsusb | grep -i wacom gives me. So there is
probably no mistake in this file.

I don't know what to do now. Do you have any advise?

Boris.

Am 03.04.2014 22:24, schrieb Jason Gerecke:

> Most distributions do not provide kernel updates aside from security
> fixes. If you use e.g. Ubuntu 13.10, you are stuck with the 3.11
> kernel. Only when the distribution makes another release will the
> kernel version be bumped to something more recent (e.g. Ubuntu 14.04
> is expected to ship with the 3.13 kernel).
>
> Manjaro is a bit different, however, since it uses a "rolling release"
> mechanism. I don't have any personal experience with Manjaro, but with
> Arch (a close relative) updated kernels are made available after
> sufficient testing to ensure things don't break. For Arch, this
> usually means waiting a few weeks before an update is made available.
> I imagine it would be approximately the same for Manjaro (perhaps a
> little longer if they wait for Arch to finish testing the waters).
>
> Unless you're comfortable configuring, compiling, installing, and
> running an unsupported kernel, I wouldn't recommend it. Although in my
> experience it is generally safe, there is always the possibility that
> something goes wrong (especially in the configuration stage -- its all
> too easy to forget to have it support some crucial device!) and you'll
> need to have a "plan b" ready to let you recover.
>
> I would suggest using input-wacom until the 3.14 kernel (which I can
> confirm does support the new Intuos line) is made available for
> Manjaro. It's a lot easier than messing with updating the kernel, and
> there's less that can go wrong.
>
> Jason
> ---
> Now instead of four in the eights place /
> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>

> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Boris Month <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Kernel 3.14 has been released by now. Are you sure it supports CTH-480S
>> now? I would like to know this because I'm planing to buy one but only
>> if it is support by 3.14.
>>
>> Furthermore I use Manjaro Linux which doesn't use 3.14 as default. How
>> long does it generally take distributions to adopt the new kernel? Or is
>> it save and easy to switch to a new Kernel even if the distribution you
>> are using doesn't official support it?

Re: Wacom Intuos CTH-480S won't work on a OpenSuse 13.1 setup with Kernel 3.13

Jason Gerecke
It looks like its just a simple case of package confusion :)

We have two similarly-named drivers: 'input-wacom' (the kernel driver
that lets the tablet appear as a device) and 'xf86-input-wacom' (the
X11 driver that lets the tablet drive the cursor). You need both to
use the tablet in something like GIMP. The 'wacom-udev' rules package
from AUR is not necessary: it simply adds human-readable symlinks that
are sometimes helpful when using a static xorg.conf file.

You'll want to follow the instructions at [1] to install input-wacom.
Let me know if you run into any problems.

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 6:03 AM, Boris Month <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Jason
>> ---
>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Boris Month <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Kernel 3.14 has been released by now. Are you sure it supports CTH-480S
>>> now? I would like to know this because I'm planing to buy one but only
>>> if it is support by 3.14.
>>>
>>> Furthermore I use Manjaro Linux which doesn't use 3.14 as default. How
>>> long does it generally take distributions to adopt the new kernel? Or is
>>> it save and easy to switch to a new Kernel even if the distribution you
>>> are using doesn't official support it?

Re: Wacom Intuos CTH-480S won't work on a OpenSuse 13.1 setup with Kernel 3.13

I can't figure out how to build the kernel modules. Here is what I tried
to do:

I downloaded the file input-wacom archive input-wacom-0.21.0.tar.bz2,
extracted it, and run ./configure

        It did some stuff and then said:

          BUILD ENVIRONMENT:
               linux kernel - yes
              kernel source - no

        We could not find the kernel development environment to build
the driver.
        Please install the kernel source or the kernel development
package and try again.

So I got the source as described here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernels/Compilation/Traditional#Fetching_source

wget -c https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/linux-3.13.7.tar.xz
tar -xvJf linux-3.13.7.tar.xz

And then I copied the kernel sources to the kernel source directory so
./configure can find the kernel sources.
sudo cp -r linux-3.13.7 /usr/src/linux-3.13.7

I tried ./configure again but i exited with the same error as bevore.
Then I recognized the following warning in the output of ./configure

***
*** WARNING:
*** Unable to guess kernel source directory
***   Looked at /lib/modules/3.13.7-1-MANJARO/source,
/lib/modules/3.13.7-1-MANJARO/build,
***     /usr/src/linux, /usr/src/linux-3.13.7-1-MANJARO, and
***     /usr/src/linux-2.6
*** Kernel modules will not be built
***

So I renamed my kernel source directory:
sudo mv linux-3.13.7 linux-3.13.7-1-MANJARO

To my surprise ./configure actually finished successfully and gave me
further instructions:

**Your wacom.ko is available under
**    /home/boris/Downloads/input-wacom-0.21.0/
**If you have an USB device, you can copy the driver by:
**      cp /wacom.ko
/lib/modules/3.13.7-1-MANJARO/kernel/drivers/input/tablet

The problem is, that there is no file called wacom.ko nor any other *.ko
file anywhere in input-wacom-0.21.0

I guess I'm just not experienced enough with manjaro linux to do this
kind of work. Should I just use Windows for annotating *.pdf files and
switch back to linux when 3.14 is officially available on Manjaro Linux?
Sadly the package linux-mainline 3.14-1 is already available an Arch
Linux but not on Manjaro.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me and I am very sorry for
failing so miserably whilst trying to follow your advice.

Boris

Am 05.04.2014 20:21, schrieb Jason Gerecke:

> [...]
>>> experience it is generally safe, there is always the possibility that
>>> something goes wrong (especially in the configuration stage -- its all
>>> too easy to forget to have it support some crucial device!) and you'll
>>> need to have a "plan b" ready to let you recover.
>>>
>>> I would suggest using input-wacom until the 3.14 kernel (which I can
>>> confirm does support the new Intuos line) is made available for
>>> Manjaro. It's a lot easier than messing with updating the kernel, and
>>> there's less that can go wrong.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>> ---
>>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>>> So you look at the sixty-fours....

Wacom Intuos CTH-480S won't work on a OpenSuse 13.1 setup with Kernel 3.13

Ping Cheng-2
On Sunday, April 6, 2014, Boris Month <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can't figure out how to build the kernel

Hi Boris,

You missed the "Prerequisites" step from the link.

Basically, you need to issue:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Before configuring the driver package.

Ping

http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees_APR

Re: Wacom Intuos CTH-480S won't work on a OpenSuse 13.1 setup with Kernel 3.13

Boris Month
Hello Ping, hello Jason,

Thank you both for your help. I really wasn't able to get those drivers
running. But since April 10 (yesterday) Manjaro-Linux released their
kernel 3.14. package. I just installed it and the CTH-480S works like a
charm!

Thanks again.

Boris