Wacom board Yoga 460, Finger touch stops working after pen usage

Wacom board Yoga 460, Finger touch stops working after pen usage

Peter Klausing
Hello,

I have 2 problems with Xorg and my build in Wacom tablet.
1. Finger touch stops working after tapping with the pen.
2. After using the pen e.g. in Xournal++, the pen stops working after a
certian time
It seems to be mal configured. But I'm not sure, this is the problem.
I set Debugg level of ToolDebugLevel and TabletDebugLevel to 12.
Only error output of Xorg is
"Wacom Co.,Ltd. Pen and multitouch sensor Pen eraser: usbParse: Ignoring
event from invalid serial 0", before and after this is happening.

I start Plasma Desktopenvironment with startx command.
Thereafter, I can tap with my finger. Than, I tap with the pen and from
now on tapping with the finger does not work anymore.

My setup:
Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 460
Wacom Digitizer Touchscreen Finger/Pen 056a:504d (same as in yoga 14)
Arch Linux
KDE Plasma Desktop environment starting with xinit
installed driver for kernel and Xorg: xf86-input-wacom and input-wacom-dkms
udev auto recognized the wacom hardware and setup events in
/dev/input/eventX

I've got debian testing with a similar setup installed and there I don't
have such issues. I already tried copying configs from there.

I checked:

dmesg shows that it has loaded the wacom moudle
Xorg: https://pastebin.com/ck6d4Gi4
hid-recorder: on low level hid-recorder still recognizes booth events so
there is appropriate output for finger tap and pen also after pen fails.
For the first problem evtest /dev/input/event5 works and gives the same
output before and after tapping with the finger and the pen.

I'm stuck debugging this problem. Anybody ideas what to do about it?

Thanks in advance!
/Peter

Re: Wacom board Yoga 460, Finger touch stops working after pen usage

Peter Klausing
Thank you!

that solved so far both problems.

/Peter

On 04/19/17 16:47, Jason Gerecke wrote:

> It sounds like you may be affected by the bug reported
> at https://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/bugs/334/ -- please follow the
> instructions posted toward the end of the thread to get and use a
> development version of the driver. Let me know if it resolves your issue.
>
> On Apr 19, 2017 6:49 AM, "Peter Klausing" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I have 2 problems with Xorg and my build in Wacom tablet.
>     1. Finger touch stops working after tapping with the pen.
>     2. After using the pen e.g. in Xournal++, the pen stops working after a
>     certian time
>     It seems to be mal configured. But I'm not sure, this is the problem.
>     I set Debugg level of ToolDebugLevel and TabletDebugLevel to 12.
>     Only error output of Xorg is
>     "Wacom Co.,Ltd. Pen and multitouch sensor Pen eraser: usbParse: Ignoring
>     event from invalid serial 0", before and after this is happening.
>
>     I start Plasma Desktopenvironment with startx command.
>     Thereafter, I can tap with my finger. Than, I tap with the pen and from
>     now on tapping with the finger does not work anymore.
>
>     My setup:
>     Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 460
>     Wacom Digitizer Touchscreen Finger/Pen 056a:504d (same as in yoga 14)
>     Arch Linux
>     KDE Plasma Desktop environment starting with xinit
>     installed driver for kernel and Xorg: xf86-input-wacom and
>     input-wacom-dkms
>     udev auto recognized the wacom hardware and setup events in
>     /dev/input/eventX
>
>     I've got debian testing with a similar setup installed and there I don't
>     have such issues. I already tried copying configs from there.
>
>     I checked:
>
>     dmesg shows that it has loaded the wacom moudle
>     Xorg: https://pastebin.com/ck6d4Gi4
>     hid-recorder: on low level hid-recorder still recognizes booth events so
>     there is appropriate output for finger tap and pen also after pen fails.
>     For the first problem evtest /dev/input/event5 works and gives the same
>     output before and after tapping with the finger and the pen.
>
>     I'm stuck debugging this problem. Anybody ideas what to do about it?
>
>     Thanks in advance!
>     /Peter

Re: Wacom board Yoga 460, Finger touch stops working after pen usage

Jason Gerecke
Glad to hear :) This fix has been accepted by the upstream Linux
kernel and is expected to be resolved in the 4.11 kernel release.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:24 AM, Peter Klausing
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you!
>
> that solved so far both problems.
>
> /Peter
>
> On 04/19/17 16:47, Jason Gerecke wrote:
>> It sounds like you may be affected by the bug reported
>> at https://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/bugs/334/ -- please follow the
>> instructions posted toward the end of the thread to get and use a
>> development version of the driver. Let me know if it resolves your issue.
>>
>> On Apr 19, 2017 6:49 AM, "Peter Klausing" <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     I have 2 problems with Xorg and my build in Wacom tablet.
>>     1. Finger touch stops working after tapping with the pen.
>>     2. After using the pen e.g. in Xournal++, the pen stops working after a
>>     certian time
>>     It seems to be mal configured. But I'm not sure, this is the problem.
>>     I set Debugg level of ToolDebugLevel and TabletDebugLevel to 12.
>>     Only error output of Xorg is
>>     "Wacom Co.,Ltd. Pen and multitouch sensor Pen eraser: usbParse: Ignoring
>>     event from invalid serial 0", before and after this is happening.
>>
>>     I start Plasma Desktopenvironment with startx command.
>>     Thereafter, I can tap with my finger. Than, I tap with the pen and from
>>     now on tapping with the finger does not work anymore.
>>
>>     My setup:
>>     Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 460
>>     Wacom Digitizer Touchscreen Finger/Pen 056a:504d (same as in yoga 14)
>>     Arch Linux
>>     KDE Plasma Desktop environment starting with xinit
>>     installed driver for kernel and Xorg: xf86-input-wacom and
>>     input-wacom-dkms
>>     udev auto recognized the wacom hardware and setup events in
>>     /dev/input/eventX
>>
>>     I've got debian testing with a similar setup installed and there I don't
>>     have such issues. I already tried copying configs from there.
>>
>>     I checked:
>>
>>     dmesg shows that it has loaded the wacom moudle
>>     Xorg: https://pastebin.com/ck6d4Gi4
>>     hid-recorder: on low level hid-recorder still recognizes booth events so
>>     there is appropriate output for finger tap and pen also after pen fails.
>>     For the first problem evtest /dev/input/event5 works and gives the same
>>     output before and after tapping with the finger and the pen.
>>
>>     I'm stuck debugging this problem. Anybody ideas what to do about it?
>>
>>     Thanks in advance!
>>     /Peter

Re: Wacom board Yoga 460, Finger touch stops working after pen usage

Peter Klausing
Hey,

After last reboot bug #334[1] reoccured for me for some reason. Kernel
Arch-4.10.13, input-wacom from github linuxwacom/input-wacom ,
xf86-inputwacom from github linuxwacom/xf86-input-wacom.

Does anybody know what was the fix in the kernel? Or even why this could
reoccure?

/Peter

[1]: https://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/bugs/334/

On 04/19/17 21:10, Jason Gerecke wrote:

> [...]
>>>     udev auto recognized the wacom hardware and setup events in
>>>     /dev/input/eventX
>>>
>>>     I've got debian testing with a similar setup installed and there I don't
>>>     have such issues. I already tried copying configs from there.
>>>
>>>     I checked:
>>>
>>>     dmesg shows that it has loaded the wacom moudle
>>>     Xorg: https://pastebin.com/ck6d4Gi4
>>>     hid-recorder: on low level hid-recorder still recognizes booth events so
>>>     there is appropriate output for finger tap and pen also after pen fails.
>>>     For the first problem evtest /dev/input/event5 works and gives the same
>>>     output before and after tapping with the finger and the pen.
>>>
>>>     I'm stuck debugging this problem. Anybody ideas what to do about it?
>>>
>>>     Thanks in advance!
>>>     /Peter

Re: Wacom board Yoga 460, Finger touch stops working after pen usage

Could you please provide the output of the following command so that we
can be sure what driver is currently loaded?

    $ cat /sys/module/wacom/version

The input-wacom driver is only installed for the currently-running
kernel, so if an updated kernel was installed before the last reboot
you'll be using the stock driver once again.

That said, the changelog for the 4.10.13 kernel[1] that you're running
indicated that the fix ("HID: wacom: Treat HID_DG_TOOLSERIALNUMBER as
unsigned") should be present anyway...

Once we know what version of the kernel driver is in use, we'll be able
to more accurately diagnose what is going on. It would be useful to know
if the issue is reliably persistent across reboots / Xorg logins like
bug #334 or if it is intermittent (and thus something similar to but
distinct from #334). You might also try re-compiling and re-installing
the 'master' branch of the input-wacom driver to see if that changes the
behavior at all. You can run `sudo make uninstall` from within the
input-wacom directory and then reboot to switch back and forth between
the stock and input-wacom drivers.

[1]: https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ChangeLog-4.10.13

On 05/17/2017 02:23 AM, Peter Klausing wrote:

> Hey,
>
> After last reboot bug #334[1] reoccured for me for some reason. Kernel
> Arch-4.10.13, input-wacom from github linuxwacom/input-wacom ,
> xf86-inputwacom from github linuxwacom/xf86-input-wacom.
>
> Does anybody know what was the fix in the kernel? Or even why this could
> reoccure?
>
> /Peter
>
> [1]: https://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/bugs/334/
>
> On 04/19/17 21:10, Jason Gerecke wrote:
>> Glad to hear :) This fix has been accepted by the upstream Linux
>> kernel and is expected to be resolved in the 4.11 kernel release.
>>
>> Jason
>> ---
>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:24 AM, Peter Klausing
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> that solved so far both problems.
>>>
>>> /Peter

Re: Wacom board Yoga 460, Finger touch stops working after pen usage

Peter Klausing
Ok, thanks for the first.

$ cat /sys/module/wacom/version
v2.00-0.35.0.13.g77c6915

looks like the right driver is loaded.
git log of input-wacom shows the commit you mentioned.

From my 4 reboots since this problem reoccured the problem is persistent.

I will now try to reinstall everything unsing 'sudo make uninstall'...
and write what is the outcome.

Just to mention it Xorg log (~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log)
fires all the way this error.
(EE) Wacom Co.,Ltd. Pen and multitouch sensor Pen eraser: usbParse:

On 05/17/17 17:45, Jason Gerecke wrote:

> Could you please provide the output of the following command so that we
> can be sure what driver is currently loaded?
>
>     $ cat /sys/module/wacom/version
>
> The input-wacom driver is only installed for the currently-running
> kernel, so if an updated kernel was installed before the last reboot
> you'll be using the stock driver once again.
>
> That said, the changelog for the 4.10.13 kernel[1] that you're running
> indicated that the fix ("HID: wacom: Treat HID_DG_TOOLSERIALNUMBER as
> unsigned") should be present anyway...
>
> Once we know what version of the kernel driver is in use, we'll be able
> to more accurately diagnose what is going on. It would be useful to know
> if the issue is reliably persistent across reboots / Xorg logins like
> bug #334 or if it is intermittent (and thus something similar to but
> distinct from #334). You might also try re-compiling and re-installing
> the 'master' branch of the input-wacom driver to see if that changes the
> behavior at all. You can run `sudo make uninstall` from within the
> input-wacom directory and then reboot to switch back and forth between
> the stock and input-wacom drivers.
>
> [1]: https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ChangeLog-4.10.13
>
> Jason
> ---
> Now instead of four in the eights place /
> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
> (That is to say, eight) to the two, /
> But you can’t take seven from three, /
> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>

> On 05/17/2017 02:23 AM, Peter Klausing wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> After last reboot bug #334[1] reoccured for me for some reason. Kernel
>> Arch-4.10.13, input-wacom from github linuxwacom/input-wacom ,
>> xf86-inputwacom from github linuxwacom/xf86-input-wacom.
>>
>> Does anybody know what was the fix in the kernel? Or even why this could
>> reoccure?
>>
>> /Peter
>>
>> [1]: https://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/bugs/334/
>>
>> On 04/19/17 21:10, Jason Gerecke wrote:
>>> Glad to hear :) This fix has been accepted by the upstream Linux
>>> kernel and is expected to be resolved in the 4.11 kernel release.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>> ---
>>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>>> So you look at the sixty-fours....

Re: Wacom board Yoga 460, Finger touch stops working after pen usage

Peter Klausing
Sorry, for spamming around.

After sending the last Email I tried to do sudo make uninstall and
rebooting with the expectation that touch stops completly working.
Instead it kind of solved the problem. Fingertouch works after using the
pen.
$ cat /sys/module/wacom/version
v2.00
and the error in the xorg log does not occure anymore.

/Peter

On 05/17/17 17:58, Peter Klausing wrote:

> Ok, thanks for the first.
>
> $ cat /sys/module/wacom/version
> v2.00-0.35.0.13.g77c6915
>
> looks like the right driver is loaded.
> git log of input-wacom shows the commit you mentioned.
>
> From my 4 reboots since this problem reoccured the problem is persistent.
>
> I will now try to reinstall everything unsing 'sudo make uninstall'...
> and write what is the outcome.
>
> Just to mention it Xorg log (~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log)
> fires all the way this error.
> (EE) Wacom Co.,Ltd. Pen and multitouch sensor Pen eraser: usbParse:
> Ignoring event from invalid serial 0
>
> /Peter
>
> On 05/17/17 17:45, Jason Gerecke wrote:
>> Could you please provide the output of the following command so that we
>> can be sure what driver is currently loaded?
>>
>>     $ cat /sys/module/wacom/version
>>
>> The input-wacom driver is only installed for the currently-running
>> kernel, so if an updated kernel was installed before the last reboot
>> you'll be using the stock driver once again.
>>
>> That said, the changelog for the 4.10.13 kernel[1] that you're running
>> indicated that the fix ("HID: wacom: Treat HID_DG_TOOLSERIALNUMBER as
>> unsigned") should be present anyway...
>>
>> Once we know what version of the kernel driver is in use, we'll be able
>> to more accurately diagnose what is going on. It would be useful to know
>> if the issue is reliably persistent across reboots / Xorg logins like
>> bug #334 or if it is intermittent (and thus something similar to but
>> distinct from #334). You might also try re-compiling and re-installing
>> the 'master' branch of the input-wacom driver to see if that changes the
>> behavior at all. You can run `sudo make uninstall` from within the
>> input-wacom directory and then reboot to switch back and forth between
>> the stock and input-wacom drivers.
>>
>> [1]: https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ChangeLog-4.10.13
>>
>> Jason
>> ---
>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
>> (That is to say, eight) to the two, /
>> But you can’t take seven from three, /
>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>>

>> On 05/17/2017 02:23 AM, Peter Klausing wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> After last reboot bug #334[1] reoccured for me for some reason. Kernel
>>> Arch-4.10.13, input-wacom from github linuxwacom/input-wacom ,
>>> xf86-inputwacom from github linuxwacom/xf86-input-wacom.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know what was the fix in the kernel? Or even why this could
>>> reoccure?
>>>
>>> /Peter
>>>
>>> [1]: https://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/bugs/334/

Re: Wacom board Yoga 460, Finger touch stops working after pen usage

Jason Gerecke
Thanks for the quick feedback :)

I was initially confused by the results you posted, but I think I now
understand. It looks like while the master branch has the "backported"
version of the fix (for systems with pre-4.5 kernels), it does /not/
yet have the "upstream" version (for 4.5 and newer). We'll be merging
the upstream commits into master prior to release, so there shouldn't
be a problem once input-wacom-0.36.0 is finally available.