Quantcast

X201 Tablet Pen and Touch disconnecting

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

X201 Tablet Pen and Touch disconnecting

Sherif
I've got a rather weird issue with this tablet. For around 70% of the
time, the thing functions perfectly.

For the other 30% of the time, something or another completely stops
functioning. Most of the time it is the finger touch feature. Just an hour
ago the pen stopped moving the the middle of me writing something.

What puzzles me is that xsetwacom list devices always shows my stylus,
eraser, and touch input even when they aren't functioning. lsmod also
lists both wacom and wacom_8001w as being loaded during this downtime.

As far as I can tell, there is no difference in my system between when it
isn't working and when it is aside from the lack of functionality.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transform Data into Opportunity.
Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.
Click to learn more.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785231&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Linuxwacom-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linuxwacom-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: X201 Tablet Pen and Touch disconnecting

Jason Gerecke
On 03/14/2016 09:49 PM, Sherif wrote:

> I've got a rather weird issue with this tablet. For around 70% of the
> time, the thing functions perfectly.
>
> For the other 30% of the time, something or another completely stops
> functioning. Most of the time it is the finger touch feature. Just an hour
> ago the pen stopped moving the the middle of me writing something.
>
> What puzzles me is that xsetwacom list devices always shows my stylus,
> eraser, and touch input even when they aren't functioning. lsmod also
> lists both wacom and wacom_8001w as being loaded during this downtime.
>
> As far as I can tell, there is no difference in my system between when it
> isn't working and when it is aside from the lack of functionality.
>

For general debugging purposes, could you please provide the output of
the following commands, as well as information on the distro you're
using (e.g. Ubuntu 15.10) and if you've tried replicating the issue in
Windows or other distributions.

$ xsetwacom -V
$ uname -r
$ modinfo wacom | grep version
$ lsusb -d 056a: -v
$ for F in /sys/bus/hid/drivers/wacom/*/report_descriptor; \
do echo $F; hexdump -C $F; done

The symptom you describes sounds somewhat similar to bug #306 [1],
though in your case the device works more reliably. If you can find your
Xorg.0.log [1], it would be helpful if you looked through it for
anything suspicious (like the "invalid serial 0" error from the
mentioned bug) or attached it for us to go through.

[1]: https://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/bugs/306/

[2]: Possibly found at /var/log/Xorg.0.log,
~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log, or as the output of the following
command: `journalctl _COMM=Xorg _COMM=Xorg.bin _COMM=gdm-x-session -b0`

--
Jason
---
Now instead of four in the eights place /
you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
(That is to say, eight) to the two, /
But you can’t take seven from three, /
So you look at the sixty-fours....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transform Data into Opportunity.
Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.
Click to learn more.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785231&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Linuxwacom-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linuxwacom-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: X201 Tablet Pen and Touch disconnecting

Sherif


On Tue, 15 Mar 2016, Jason Gerecke wrote:

> On 03/14/2016 09:49 PM, Sherif wrote:
>> I've got a rather weird issue with this tablet. For around 70% of the
>> time, the thing functions perfectly.
>>
>> For the other 30% of the time, something or another completely stops
>> functioning. Most of the time it is the finger touch feature. Just an hour
>> ago the pen stopped moving the the middle of me writing something.
>>
>> What puzzles me is that xsetwacom list devices always shows my stylus,
>> eraser, and touch input even when they aren't functioning. lsmod also
>> lists both wacom and wacom_8001w as being loaded during this downtime.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, there is no difference in my system between when it
>> isn't working and when it is aside from the lack of functionality.
>>
>
> For general debugging purposes, could you please provide the output of
> the following commands, as well as information on the distro you're
> using (e.g. Ubuntu 15.10) and if you've tried replicating the issue in
> Windows or other distributions.
>
> $ xsetwacom -V
> $ uname -r
> $ modinfo wacom | grep version
> $ lsusb -d 056a: -v
> $ for F in /sys/bus/hid/drivers/wacom/*/report_descriptor; \
> do echo $F; hexdump -C $F; done
>
> The symptom you describes sounds somewhat similar to bug #306 [1],
> though in your case the device works more reliably. If you can find your
> Xorg.0.log [1], it would be helpful if you looked through it for
> anything suspicious (like the "invalid serial 0" error from the
> mentioned bug) or attached it for us to go through.
>
> [1]: https://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/bugs/306/
>
> [2]: Possibly found at /var/log/Xorg.0.log,
> ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log, or as the output of the following
> command: `journalctl _COMM=Xorg _COMM=Xorg.bin _COMM=gdm-x-session -b0`
>
> --
> Jason
> ---
> Now instead of four in the eights place /
> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
> (That is to say, eight) to the two, /
> But you can’t take seven from three, /
> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>
Here are the outputs:
> $ xsetwacom -V
0.30.0
> $ uname -r
4.2.0-30-generic
> $ modinfo wacom | grep version
version:        v2.00
srcversion:     A2BA9756DA73D73B9AACF61
vermagic:       4.2.0-30-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
> $ lsusb -d 056a: -v
(returns nothing; empty output)
> $ for F in /sys/bus/hid/drivers/wacom/*/report_descriptor; \
> do echo $F; hexdump -C $F; done
/sys/bus/hid/drivers/wacom/*/report_descriptor
hexdump: /sys/bus/hid/drivers/wacom/*/report_descriptor: No such file or
directory

If it's relevant, I'm running vanilla Ubuntu 14.04.4. I apologize in
advance if what I'm about to say is meaningless, since I know very little
about the kernel. My tablet connects at /dev/ttyS*. In sysfs, its
directory is /sys/devices/pnp0/00:05/tty/ttyS4/serio3/input/input9.
Doesn't this mean that it isn't connected using USB? And what is pnp0?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transform Data into Opportunity.
Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.
Click to learn more.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785231&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Linuxwacom-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linuxwacom-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: X201 Tablet Pen and Touch disconnecting

Jason Gerecke
On 03/16/2016 12:06 AM, Sherif wrote:

>
>
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2016, Jason Gerecke wrote:
>
>> On 03/14/2016 09:49 PM, Sherif wrote:
>>> I've got a rather weird issue with this tablet. For around 70% of the
>>> time, the thing functions perfectly.
>>>
>>> For the other 30% of the time, something or another completely stops
>>> functioning. Most of the time it is the finger touch feature. Just an
>>> hour
>>> ago the pen stopped moving the the middle of me writing something.
>>>
>>> What puzzles me is that xsetwacom list devices always shows my stylus,
>>> eraser, and touch input even when they aren't functioning. lsmod also
>>> lists both wacom and wacom_8001w as being loaded during this downtime.
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell, there is no difference in my system between
>>> when it
>>> isn't working and when it is aside from the lack of functionality.
>>>
>>
>> For general debugging purposes, could you please provide the output of
>> the following commands, as well as information on the distro you're
>> using (e.g. Ubuntu 15.10) and if you've tried replicating the issue in
>> Windows or other distributions.
>>
>> $ xsetwacom -V
>> $ uname -r
>> $ modinfo wacom | grep version
>> $ lsusb -d 056a: -v
>> $ for F in /sys/bus/hid/drivers/wacom/*/report_descriptor; \
>> do echo $F; hexdump -C $F; done
>>
>> The symptom you describes sounds somewhat similar to bug #306 [1],
>> though in your case the device works more reliably. If you can find your
>> Xorg.0.log [1], it would be helpful if you looked through it for
>> anything suspicious (like the "invalid serial 0" error from the
>> mentioned bug) or attached it for us to go through.
>>
>> [1]: https://sourceforge.net/p/linuxwacom/bugs/306/
>>
>> [2]: Possibly found at /var/log/Xorg.0.log,
>> ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log, or as the output of the following
>> command: `journalctl _COMM=Xorg _COMM=Xorg.bin _COMM=gdm-x-session -b0`
>>
>> --
>> Jason
>> ---
>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
>> (That is to say, eight) to the two, /
>> But you can’t take seven from three, /
>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>>
>
> Here are the outputs:
>> $ xsetwacom -V
> 0.30.0
>> $ uname -r
> 4.2.0-30-generic
>> $ modinfo wacom | grep version
> version:        v2.00
> srcversion:     A2BA9756DA73D73B9AACF61
> vermagic:       4.2.0-30-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
>> $ lsusb -d 056a: -v
> (returns nothing; empty output)
>> $ for F in /sys/bus/hid/drivers/wacom/*/report_descriptor; \
>> do echo $F; hexdump -C $F; done
> /sys/bus/hid/drivers/wacom/*/report_descriptor
> hexdump: /sys/bus/hid/drivers/wacom/*/report_descriptor: No such file or
> directory
>
> If it's relevant, I'm running vanilla Ubuntu 14.04.4. I apologize in
> advance if what I'm about to say is meaningless, since I know very
> little about the kernel. My tablet connects at /dev/ttyS*. In sysfs, its
> directory is /sys/devices/pnp0/00:05/tty/ttyS4/serio3/input/input9.
> Doesn't this mean that it isn't connected using USB? And what is pnp0?

Thanks for the output. The fact that your sensor connects at /dev/ttyS*
means that it is a serial tablet rather than USB, just as you thought
("pnp0" refers to the kernel's "Plug-and-Play" system for internal
devices like the serial UART your sensor is connected to, PCI cards,
etc.). The fact that it's a serial device explains the lack of output
from lsusb and the report descriptor. This type of sensor is pretty rare
nowdays so debugging is going to be a little difficult...

You might try seeing if `sudo evemu-record` (it'll ask you to select an
input device -- just choose the sensor) produces any output in response
to pen/touch input when the system otherwise stops working. You might
also try to see if the "inputattach" daemon is still running (`ps -ax |
grep input`), and restart it if it isn't. Finally, the
"isdv4-serial-debugger" command should be installed which might give
some ideas about what is going wrong if nothing else seems to work.

--
Jason
---
Now instead of four in the eights place /
you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
(That is to say, eight) to the two, /
But you can’t take seven from three, /
So you look at the sixty-fours....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transform Data into Opportunity.
Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.
Click to learn more.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=278785231&iu=/4140
_______________________________________________
Linuxwacom-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linuxwacom-discuss
Loading...