Xorg config for the touch surface of pen and touch medium CTH680

Xorg config for the touch surface of pen and touch medium CTH680

John Lane
I have a new "intuos pen and touch medium" CTH680 that I want to use
with Arch Linux. I'm configuring manually because I want to understand
what is going on. I have the xorg option to automatically add devices
disabled.

I am using Arch Linux and have the Wacom driver 0.26.0. Udev gives me
two device nodes for the tablet, /dev/input/wacom-stylus and
/dev/input/wacom-touch. I am using the ArchLinux packages for the driver
and udev rules.

My tablet responds without any wacom-specific xorg configuration,
however I need to configure it for it to work properly. I mention this
because it appears to be recognised as a generic pointer in addition to
my mouse which continues to work as it did before.

I began by configuring after reading the Arch Wiki and the Wacom project
howto (http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index_old.php/howto/inputdev).

My initial configuration included "InputDevice" sections for the
"stylus" and "eraser" types:

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver        "wacom"
    Identifier    "stylus"
    Option        "Device"       "/dev/input/wacom-stylus"
    Option        "Type"         "stylus"
    Option        "USB"          "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver        "wacom"
    Identifier    "eraser"
    Option        "Device"       "/dev/input/wacom-stylus"
    Option        "Type"         "eraser"
    Option        "USB"          "on"
EndSection

(along with the related entries to my "ServerLayout" block so the server
uses those definitions)

These work as expected; I can do pressure-sensitive drawing in Gimp and
Inkscape and I was able to use "xsetwacom" to restrict the tablet to one
of my three displays and to reprogram the stylus buttons.

The touch action on the tablet works the same as without configuration;
i.e. like a default relative mouse. I tried adding each of "cursor"
"pad" and "touch" InputDevice blocks (using both wacom-touch and
wacom-stylus devices) but none made any difference. The touch pointer
remains relative and, I believe, nothing to do with my wacom configurations.

So, it isn't clear to me what is needed to gain control over the touch
surface so that I can configure it.

I have also been unsuccessful in getting touch gestures to work (e.g.
zooming in Gimp) but I guess this is related to the touch surface
configuration.

I am able to program the buttons on the stylus but not those on the
tablet itself. I expect that this is also related.

So, what xorg config do I need to configure the touch surface of my
pen-and-touch ?

Thanks, in advance,
John

Re: Xorg config for the touch surface of pen and touch medium CTH680

Jason Gerecke
On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 9:05 AM, John Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a new "intuos pen and touch medium" CTH680 that I want to use
> with Arch Linux. I'm configuring manually because I want to understand
> what is going on. I have the xorg option to automatically add devices
> disabled.
>
> I am using Arch Linux and have the Wacom driver 0.26.0. Udev gives me
> two device nodes for the tablet, /dev/input/wacom-stylus and
> /dev/input/wacom-touch. I am using the ArchLinux packages for the driver
> and udev rules.
>
> My tablet responds without any wacom-specific xorg configuration,
> however I need to configure it for it to work properly. I mention this
> because it appears to be recognised as a generic pointer in addition to
> my mouse which continues to work as it did before.

If the wacom-specific rules under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d were removed (which it sounds like is what
you did), then that is to be expected. In the absence of any other
configuration, X should pair our tablets with the default "evdev"
driver which provides just the basic mouse pointer functionality.

> I began by configuring after reading the Arch Wiki and the Wacom project
> howto (http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index_old.php/howto/inputdev).
>
> My initial configuration included "InputDevice" sections for the
> "stylus" and "eraser" types:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Driver        "wacom"
>     Identifier    "stylus"
>     Option        "Device"       "/dev/input/wacom-stylus"
>     Option        "Type"         "stylus"
>     Option        "USB"          "on"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Driver        "wacom"
>     Identifier    "eraser"
>     Option        "Device"       "/dev/input/wacom-stylus"
>     Option        "Type"         "eraser"
>     Option        "USB"          "on"
> EndSection
>
> (along with the related entries to my "ServerLayout" block so the server
> uses those definitions)
>
> These work as expected; I can do pressure-sensitive drawing in Gimp and
> Inkscape and I was able to use "xsetwacom" to restrict the tablet to one
> of my three displays and to reprogram the stylus buttons.

Those configuration blocks look exactly how they should. You can even
potentially put other (static / default) configuration options in
there, though xsetwacom and other tools are recommended.

> The touch action on the tablet works the same as without configuration;
> i.e. like a default relative mouse. I tried adding each of "cursor"
> "pad" and "touch" InputDevice blocks (using both wacom-touch and
> wacom-stylus devices) but none made any difference. The touch pointer
> remains relative and, I believe, nothing to do with my wacom configurations.
>
> So, it isn't clear to me what is needed to gain control over the touch
> surface so that I can configure it.
>
> I have also been unsuccessful in getting touch gestures to work (e.g.
> zooming in Gimp) but I guess this is related to the touch surface
> configuration.
>
> I am able to program the buttons on the stylus but not those on the
> tablet itself. I expect that this is also related.
>
> So, what xorg config do I need to configure the touch surface of my
> pen-and-touch ?
>
> Thanks, in advance,
> John

We want the "touch" device for your Intuos to like a giant touchpad,
so motions for it should be relative by default. To force it into
absolute mode, you'll either need to add `Option "Mode" "Absolute"` to
the device in xorg.conf, or run `xsetwacom set touch mode absolute`
once you're logged in. Gestures _should_ work without any kind of
configuration, though there were some recent issues that might be
preventing it. I highly recommend updating your xf86-input-wacom
driver (0.27 is available on Arch right now, 0.28 should be in a few
days).

The "cursor" and "pad" devices do not affect touch input. The former
is for the mouse-like puck tool that is available for some tablets
(not yours), while the latter lets you configure the
ExpressKeys/buttons on the tablet itself. The "cursor" device will use
the same device node as "stylus" and "eraser", but "pad" might not.
You might try using "/dev/input/wacom-touch" instead. If that still
doesn't work, you likely have a very new kernel and need to use one of
the other nodes under /dev/input. Unplug your tablet, list the
devices, plug it back in, and see if there are _three_ new "inputX"
devices. If so, that's definitely the case (we recently started making
a separate kernel device for the pad, but it doesn't look like the
wacom-udev package has been updated to create a symlink for it yet).

Re: Xorg config for the touch surface of pen and touch medium CTH680

John Lane
On 06/01/15 20:49, Jason Gerecke wrote:

Firstly, thanks Jason for helping me.
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 9:05 AM, John Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
cut
> If the wacom-specific rules under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d were removed (which it sounds like is what
> you did), then that is to be expected.
I didn't remove anything. I have
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-wacom.conf in place.
There was nothing wacom-specific in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d until I added
my own.
> In the absence of any other
> configuration, X should pair our tablets with the default "evdev"
> driver which provides just the basic mouse pointer functionality.
That is what I am experiencing. More in comments below.
cut
> We want the "touch" device for your Intuos to like a giant touchpad,
> so motions for it should be relative by default. To force it into
> absolute mode, you'll either need to add `Option "Mode" "Absolute"` to
> the device in xorg.conf, or run `xsetwacom set touch mode absolute`
> once you're logged in.
that makes sense, now it's working I think relative makes sense too.
>  Gestures _should_ work without any kind of
> configuration, though there were some recent issues that might be
> preventing it. I highly recommend updating your xf86-input-wacom
> driver (0.27 is available on Arch right now, 0.28 should be in a few
> days).
I am now running 0.27.0
> The "cursor" and "pad" devices do not affect touch input. The former
> is for the mouse-like puck tool that is available for some tablets
> (not yours), while the latter lets you configure the
> ExpressKeys/buttons on the tablet itself.

Ok. so I don't need "cursor" but I need "pad" to configure the buttons.

With "pad" configured to use "/dev/input/wacom-stylus", I can configure
the four buttons on the tablet. They are

left bottom 1
left top 3
right bottom 8
right top

> The "cursor" device will use
> the same device node as "stylus" and "eraser", but "pad" might not.
> You might try using "/dev/input/wacom-touch" instead.
 it does use the same device as "stylus" and "eraser", at least for the
buttons.
> If that still
> doesn't work, you likely have a very new kernel and need to use one of
> the other nodes under /dev/input. Unplug your tablet, list the
> devices, plug it back in, and see if there are _three_ new "inputX"
> devices.

Only two "event" devices and a load of symlinks:

/dev/input/event20 (c 13 84)
/dev/input/event21 (c 13 85)
/dev/input/tablet-intuos-pt-m -> event21
/dev/input/wacom -> event20
/dev/input/wacom-stylus -> event20
/dev/input/wacom-touch -> event21

Also two "mouse" devices:

/dev/input/mouse1 (c 13 33)
/dev/input/mouse2 (c 13 34)

> If so, that's definitely the case (we recently started making
> a separate kernel device for the pad, but it doesn't look like the
> wacom-udev package has been updated to create a symlink for it yet).
I've used "xinput test" to try and see what is going on. I notice that
the "touch" events
(i.e. motion events caused by moving a finger across the tablet and the
button event caused by tapping a finger on the tablet) are returned by
my Mouse0 device, which was configured to use "/dev/input/mice".
Changing that to "/dev/input/mouse0" stopped touch events. (It also
stopped the mouse wheel from working so I've size reverted that change).

I then used "cat" to establish that  "/dev/input/mouse2" and
"/dev/input/wacom-touch" responded to touch.

I added back the "touch" input device (using /dev/input/wacom-touch) and
the touch works as as pointing device (it's working better than before;
previously when it was being picked up through the mouse device it
needed a lot of finger movement for small screen movement).

I cannot work out how to program the button press of the touch interface
(tap the tablet) I tried "xsetwacom set touch button 1 ..." to no
effect. I don't really have a need to reprogram the touch tap but I was
just interested to understand if it was possible and how to do it.

I think gestures are working but the software doesn't handle them. I
thought I'd be able to zoom in and out with a pinch gesture and rotate
select objects also.
With Inkscape I have managed to move the page around using two fingers
but that's it. No evidence of gestures working in Gimp. Is this
something I should be configuring within the apps themselves? is there
any guidance on this anywhere? Anything descrbing what _should_ work ?

thanks,
John

On 1/7/2015 11:57 AM, John Lane wrote:

> On 06/01/15 20:49, Jason Gerecke wrote:
>
> Firstly, thanks Jason for helping me.
>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 9:05 AM, John Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> cut
>> If the wacom-specific rules under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and
>> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d were removed (which it sounds like is what
>> you did), then that is to be expected.
> I didn't remove anything. I have
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-wacom.conf in place.
> There was nothing wacom-specific in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d until I added
> my own.
>> In the absence of any other
>> configuration, X should pair our tablets with the default "evdev"
>> driver which provides just the basic mouse pointer functionality.
> That is what I am experiencing. More in comments below.
> cut
Just so I'm sure I understand: you're only using an /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file because you're interested in seeing how it works, not because its
necessary? If you have a /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-wacom.conf file
then there's absolutely no need to manually declare the devices in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.

>> We want the "touch" device for your Intuos to like a giant touchpad,
>> so motions for it should be relative by default. To force it into
>> absolute mode, you'll either need to add `Option "Mode" "Absolute"` to
>> the device in xorg.conf, or run `xsetwacom set touch mode absolute`
>> once you're logged in.
> that makes sense, now it's working I think relative makes sense too.
>>   Gestures _should_ work without any kind of
>> configuration, though there were some recent issues that might be
>> preventing it. I highly recommend updating your xf86-input-wacom
>> driver (0.27 is available on Arch right now, 0.28 should be in a few
>> days).
> I am now running 0.27.0
>> The "cursor" and "pad" devices do not affect touch input. The former
>> is for the mouse-like puck tool that is available for some tablets
>> (not yours), while the latter lets you configure the
>> ExpressKeys/buttons on the tablet itself.
> Ok. so I don't need "cursor" but I need "pad" to configure the buttons.
>
> With "pad" configured to use "/dev/input/wacom-stylus", I can configure
> the four buttons on the tablet. They are
>
> left bottom 1
> left top 3
> right bottom 8
> right top
>
>> The "cursor" device will use
>> the same device node as "stylus" and "eraser", but "pad" might not.
>> You might try using "/dev/input/wacom-touch" instead.
>   it does use the same device as "stylus" and "eraser", at least for the
> buttons.
>> If that still
>> doesn't work, you likely have a very new kernel and need to use one of
>> the other nodes under /dev/input. Unplug your tablet, list the
>> devices, plug it back in, and see if there are _three_ new "inputX"
>> devices.
> Only two "event" devices and a load of symlinks:
>
> /dev/input/event20 (c 13 84)
> /dev/input/event21 (c 13 85)
> /dev/input/tablet-intuos-pt-m -> event21
> /dev/input/wacom -> event20
> /dev/input/wacom-stylus -> event20
> /dev/input/wacom-touch -> event21
>
> Also two "mouse" devices:
>
> /dev/input/mouse1 (c 13 33)
> /dev/input/mouse2 (c 13 34)
>
>> If so, that's definitely the case (we recently started making
>> a separate kernel device for the pad, but it doesn't look like the
>> wacom-udev package has been updated to create a symlink for it yet).
> I've used "xinput test" to try and see what is going on. I notice that
> the "touch" events
> (i.e. motion events caused by moving a finger across the tablet and the
> button event caused by tapping a finger on the tablet) are returned by
> my Mouse0 device, which was configured to use "/dev/input/mice".
> Changing that to "/dev/input/mouse0" stopped touch events. (It also
> stopped the mouse wheel from working so I've size reverted that change).
IIRC, /dev/input/mice device multiplexes input from every mouse-like
device attached to the system. You should expect it to send events for
mice, the touchpad, and even the pen. Using it within xorg.conf
alongside our driver can potentially cause conflicts as two drivers try
to control the mouse pointer at the same time.

> I then used "cat" to establish that  "/dev/input/mouse2" and
> "/dev/input/wacom-touch" responded to touch.
>
> I added back the "touch" input device (using /dev/input/wacom-touch) and
> the touch works as as pointing device (it's working better than before;
> previously when it was being picked up through the mouse device it
> needed a lot of finger movement for small screen movement).
>
> I cannot work out how to program the button press of the touch interface
> (tap the tablet) I tried "xsetwacom set touch button 1 ..." to no
> effect. I don't really have a need to reprogram the touch tap but I was
> just interested to understand if it was possible and how to do it.
That's not possible right now. I believe you can disable touch and/or
gestures, but not reprogram the actions (unlike the buttons).

> I think gestures are working but the software doesn't handle them. I
> thought I'd be able to zoom in and out with a pinch gesture and rotate
> select objects also.
> With Inkscape I have managed to move the page around using two fingers
> but that's it. No evidence of gestures working in Gimp. Is this
> something I should be configuring within the apps themselves? is there
> any guidance on this anywhere? Anything descrbing what _should_ work ?
>
> thanks,
> John

The driver supports two-finger scroll (horizontal and vertical) and
two-finger pinch-zoom gestures. We do not support a rotate gesture. Both
gestures are implemented using fairly standard shortcuts: scrollwheel
events for the former, and "control plus"/"control minus" for the
latter. Most applications understand these shortcuts and will respond in
some way (GIMP, for instance, will respond to both, though only scrolls
if portions of the canvas aren't visible).

Because we're forced to emulate mouse/keyboard events to execute the
gestures, they "feel" somewhat crude. GNOME and KDE I believe are
starting to implement their own gesture engines that aren't bound by
those limitations and can offer a significantly improved experience
(smooth scroll/zoom/rotation, etc.). Unfortunately, I'm only aware of an
extremely small number of applications that can use those out-of-driver
gestures, and often with their own caveats (GNOME's engine, for
instance, only works correctly with touchscreens; not touchpads).