calibration (Cintiq 22HDT)? (3) sort of solved?

calibration (Cintiq 22HDT)? (3) sort of solved?

David Melik-2
After running the commands I learned here, in a script I mentioned in my last post, despite not being able to calibrate, I tried the stylus one last time and it seems it is already calibrated... I do not know if this is something new with 0.26.0 or if 0.25.0 would have done the same thing.

Nevertheless, the question remains, if I cannot calibrate because the calibrator pops up on the wrong screen or possible still the same orientation, even if the latter and I can only use two of the four targets but it still gets through the calibration, how do I know if I will be able to draw in detail?

Find out what's HIP!
Visit Hip Planet for news, shopping, forums, chatrooms, free personal and classified ads and much more!
Get FREE E-MAIL! at HipPlanet now!

It's all waiting for you, at http://www.hipplanet.com

Re: calibration (Cintiq 22HDT)? (3) sort of solved?

Jason Gerecke
On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 10:35 PM, David Melik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>   xsetwacom set 13 rotate ccw
>>>   xinput_calibrator --device 13 --precalib 0 54260 0 95840
>>>
>>> This time, in the last command, I had d strange result. The calibrator pops up on DVI-0, my regular monitor. I did not change where they are plugged in or which is defined as primary. Then I disabled my regular monitor, set the Cintiq as primary and tried calibration, but usually there is some sort of stylus problem, like it is not causing the cursor to move near it instead of some centimetres or inches away in a weird way, as if the input area is wrong. One of the first times, I thought I had calibrated right, but then it did not draw right because maybe I had not totally set up the input... but I have been through the process quite a few times now and it is always trying to calibrate on my regular monitor, or the stylus seems to be moving the cursor in some weird way. Is there anything I can do to debug?
>>>
>>> David
>>> http://www.cwu.edu/~melikd/art.html , http://www.elfwood.com/u/dmelik3 , http://dchmelik.deviantart.com
>>>
>> I upgraded to xf86-input-wacom-0.26.0. I looked for newer git versions but saw none, but will try any if I hear about them. I am getting the same weird behaviour described last time on 0.25.0 after moving.
>>
>> Maybe what had happened is, I recall, before moving, I spilled a small amount of non-alcoholic beer on the edge of one of the buttons, which was mostly covered by tape to cover the screen edge that dust gets under... maybe that did something, though I took the spill off pretty fast... I do not recall if the Cintiq was on or off at the time, but probably off, as I was not sure I could draw in detail yet. Does anyone know about this sort of thing?
>>
>> I made the little script below to calibrate it, but am not sure the first command is working, as I had said (the calibrator coming up on DVI-0, the regular monitor) (and as I had said, KDE uses xrandr so I did not need that in the script, and I got the device area already).
>>
>>   #wacom_init
>>   #!/bin/sh
>>   xsetwacom set "Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Pen stylus" maptooutput DVI-1
>>   xsetwacom set "Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Pen stylus" rotate ccw
>>   xinput_calibrator --device "Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Pen stylus" --precalib 0 54260 0 95840
>>

> After running the commands I learned here, in a script I mentioned in my last post, despite not being able to calibrate, I tried the stylus one last time and it seems it is already calibrated... I do not know if this is something new with 0.26.0 or if 0.25.0 would have done the same thing.
>
> Nevertheless, the question remains, if I cannot calibrate because the calibrator pops up on the wrong screen or possible still the same orientation, even if the latter and I can only use two of the four targets but it still gets through the calibration, how do I know if I will be able to draw in detail?

As far as I'm aware, xinput_calibrator *requires* you to click on all
four targets. If you don't, the program exits without printing out the
calibration values. For instance, this is what I get when I only click
the first two targets:

        [wacom@wacom-arch2 ~]$ xinput_calibrator --device 10
--precalib 200 104280 200 65400
        Calibrating standard Xorg driver "Wacom Cintiq 24HD touch Pen stylus"
        current calibration values: min_x=200, max_x=104280 and
min_y=200, max_y=65400
        If these values are estimated wrong, either supply it manually
with the --precalib option, or run the 'get_precalib.sh' script to
automatically get it (through HAL).
        [wacom@wacom-arch2 ~]$

If, however, I click all four targets, calibration data is printed out:

        [wacom@wacom-arch2 ~]$ xinput_calibrator --device 10
--precalib 200 104280 200 65400
        Calibrating standard Xorg driver "Wacom Cintiq 24HD touch Pen stylus"
        current calibration values: min_x=200, max_x=104280 and
min_y=200, max_y=65400
        If these values are estimated wrong, either supply it manually
with the --precalib option, or run the 'get_precalib.sh' script to
automatically get it (through HAL).

        --> Making the calibration permanent <--
          copy the snippet below into '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf'
        Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "calibration"
        MatchProduct "!!Name_Of_TouchScreen!!"
        Option "MinX" "87"
        Option "MaxX" "104419"
        Option "MinY" "-153"
        Option "MaxY" "65264"
        EndSection

        Change '!!Name_Of_TouchScreen!!' to your device's name in the
config above.
        [wacom@wacom-arch2 ~]$

At this point, I would run the following to actually apply the
calibration to all my tools (note that the order of the values is
different!):

        [wacom@wacom-arch2 ~]$ xsetwacom set "Wacom Cintiq 24HD touch
Pen stylus" area 87 -153 104419 65264
        [wacom@wacom-arch2 ~]$ xsetwacom set "Wacom Cintiq 24HD touch
Pen eraser" area 87 -153 104419 65264

If the cursor follows the pointer well, you're set. If you aren't
happy, give the calibration another go, being sure to change the
"precalib" option (which, again, takes its arguments in a different
order than xsetwacom).

As for getting xinput_calibrator to appear on the correct screen, I
believe that disabling the second monitor and making the Cintiq
primary was a good idea. As you noticed, though, after doing that the
pointer was positioned several centimeters from the pen. What you'll
want to do is re-run `xsetwacom set "Wacom Cintiq 22HDT Pen stylus"
maptooutput DVI-1` after disabling the monitor. The way "maptooutput"
works is by locking the pointer to a specific rectangle on the
desktop. If you disable one of your monitors, its possible that the
rectangle won't line up with the Cintiq anymore, causing the pointer
to no longer be directly under the pen.