documentation? command help for a Cintiq 22HD Touch?

documentation? command help for a Cintiq 22HD Touch?

David Melik
A few months ago I bought a Cintiq 22HD Touch, then had to send it back twice (or the replacement also once) because dust got under the screen. Today I set up my replacement and put strong tape on the grooves dust gets through. However, now it seems all Linuxwacom documentation has appeared, and my OS' (Slackware64) xf86-input-wacom package (0.19.0) and the current (0.25.0) documentation say go to a wiki that is no longer there. I tried using the KDE wacomtablet package, but I guess this emailing list is not for that.

Anyway, I need some documentation--on how to calibrate and rotate my tablet easily & quickly (like something I could put into a shell script). No one had replied when I asked about the KDE thing, but hopefully someone will reply about command-line stuff and/or get the documentation back up and, if necessary, improve it--I am not sure I saw anything on rotation there, but artists should not have to read manpages and hope they are doing something right that will not cause errors/damage. The tablet was of course rather expensive, so it would be worth me paying for some support, but I am not sure what to do when the documentation disappeared, etc... maybe this emailing list just has low traffic or I did not explain everything right last time... but if I can get the tablet working sufficiently, I would try to donate to the project in the future (as I have done with several projects, and I am an FSF associate member).

David
http://www.cwu.edu/~melikd , http://dmelik.elfwood.com , http://dchmelik.deviantart.com

Find out what's HIP!
Visit Hip Planet for news, shopping, forums, chatrooms, free personal and classified ads and much more!
Get FREE E-MAIL! at HipPlanet now!

It's all waiting for you, at http://www.hipplanet.com

Re: documentation? command help for a Cintiq 22HD Touch?

David Melik
--- [hidden email] wrote:
>[...] However, now it seems all Linuxwacom documentation has appeared [...]

I meant 'disapppeared'.

Find out what's HIP!
Visit Hip Planet for news, shopping, forums, chatrooms, free personal and classified ads and much more!
Get FREE E-MAIL! at HipPlanet now!

It's all waiting for you, at http://www.hipplanet.com

Re: documentation? command help for a Cintiq 22HD Touch?

Jason Gerecke
Looks like something went wrong in the wiki migration that SourceForge
had us go through. While I try to figure out the specifics, I've
resurrected an old backup and made it temporarily available. Pages
describing both calibration[1] and rotation[2] are available, though
as you've noticed the documentation is pretty rough and dated (more
than anything else, it needs someone to invest some time in it...) The
basic procedure is as follows:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0) Install xinput_calibrator
The xinput_calibrator tool can be used to determine the necessary
calibration parameters by performing a 4-point calibration. Install it
from your package manager if available, or compile and install from
source [3].

1) Identify the device to calibrate
Run `xsetwacom list` to get a list of devices attached to your system
and make a note of the name of the device you want to calibrate, e.g.
"Wacom Cintiq 22HD stylus"

2) Get precalibration data
Run `xsetwacom get <device name> area` to get the calibration that is
currently in effect. You should get a list of four numbers. These
values describe the tablet's effective "min X" "min Y", "max X", and
"max Y" respectively.

3) Perform the calibration
Run `xinput_calibrator --device <device name> --precalib <min X> <max
X> <min Y> <max Y>` (**Note** the values provided to precalib are in a
different order than obtained in step 2 above. Be sure to re-order the
values as required!) A full-screen window should appear with
instructions. Hold your pen normally, position yourself comfortably,
and touch the center of each target with the stylus as it appears.
After all four targets have been clicked, the window will close and a
display a message containing calibration values.

4) Apply the calibration temporarily
using the values displayed at the end of the calibration process
above. The calibration will be immediately applied and you can verify
that the pointer accurately tracks the pen position. If you are happy
with the calibration, you may wish to apply it to the eraser device as
well (just run this command again, only with the associated eraser
device's name) and then save it. If not, you should repeat the
calibration process from step 2.

5) Save the calibration
To save the calibration data so that it is automatically applied, you
should follow the instructions provided by xinput_calibrator and save
the calibration snippet to e.g.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf, being sure to replace
"!!Name_Of_TouchScreen!!" with the device name. To ensure the eraser
is also calibrated, add an identical snippet below the first, changing
the name to that of the eraser. With this file saved, the calibration
should be automatically applied whenever the X server starts or the
tablet is plugged in.

Calibration Tips:
 * When clicking targets, try to ignore the position of the mouse pointer.
 * Because the EMR sensor used in Wacom devices is located underneath
the LCD, calibration is subject to parallax effects. Try not to move
your head away from your normal working position while calibrating.
 * If you significantly change position relative to the tablet (e.g.
rotating a tablet PC, or changing the tilt or location of a Cintiq on
your desk) you may benefit from recalibrating to compensate for the
changed parallax.
 * If you find yourself regularly switching between multiple
positions, it may be beneficial to save scripts which can temporarily
apply an appropriate calibration.

Regarding the silence your received when asking about KDE utilities, I
assume it was due to us being largely unfamiliar with them. GNOME
seems to be the desktop of choice among our developers and users, so
we generally are better able to answer questions on its tools. Its
unfortunate that there aren't more active KDE people on the list since
there isn't much we can usually do when questions about it come up :(

[1]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Calibration
[2]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Rotation
[3]: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xinput_calibrator/