graphire 3 mouse (again but I forgot what to do)

graphire 3 mouse (again but I forgot what to do)

Nick Kai Nielsen
I just did a clean install of Mint and find that the buttons of the
mouse are not recognised and are therefore ineffective. This happened to
me last year, and I cannot for the life of me remember what I did to get
the buttons back...

This is the output from xsetwacom - the mouse is recognised and the
mousewheel is configured as a parameter and, indeed, works. What is
entirely absent are the parameters for left, right and middle buttons.

xsetwacom --list devices

Wacom Graphire3 stylus           id: 10 type: STYLUS
Wacom Graphire3 eraser           id: 13 type: ERASER
Wacom Graphire3 cursor           id: 14 type: CURSOR

xsetwacom --get "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" all

Option "Area" "0 0 10208 7424"
'Button' requires exactly 1 value(s).
Option "ToolDebugLevel" "0"
Option "TabletDebugLevel" "0"
Option "Suppress" "2"
Option "RawSample" "4"
Property 'Wacom Pressurecurve' does not exist on device.
Option "Mode" "Absolute"
Property 'Wacom Hover Click' does not exist on device.
Option "Touch" "off"
Option "Gesture" "off"
Option "ZoomDistance" "0"
Option "ScrollDistance" "0"
Option "TapTime" "250"
Option "CursorProximity" "42"
Option "Rotate" "none"
Option "RelWheelUp" "button +5 "
Option "RelWheelDown" "+4 "
Option "AbsWheelUp" "+0 "
Option "AbsWheelDown" "+0 "
Option "AbsWheel2Up" "+0 "
Option "AbsWheel2Down" "+0 "
Property 'Wacom Strip Buttons' does not exist on device.
Property 'Wacom Strip Buttons' does not exist on device.
Property 'Wacom Strip Buttons' does not exist on device.
Property 'Wacom Strip Buttons' does not exist on device.
Option "Threshold" "27"
Option "ToolType" "8"
Option "ToolSerial" "0"
Option "ToolID" "0"
Option "ToolSerialPrevious" "1"
Option "BindToSerial" "0"
Option "TabletID" "19"

xsetwacom --set "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" "button1" "1"

Unknown parameter name 'button1'.

How do I introduce parameters for the buttons so they are recognised? I
tried playing with /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d but broke... everything!
Help urgently required and thanks in advance !
How to introduce the wacom applet from gnome control into mint's
configuration panel would be useful too (Mint developers seem to have
decided it's surplus to requirements !)

Yours NKN

--
Nick Kai Nielsen

20, rue des Pampres
44190 Clisson

Tél 02 51 84 05 54
06 04 47 21 23

Re: graphire 3 mouse (again but I forgot what to do)

Jason Gerecke
Its odd that the buttons aren't mentioned in the xsetwacom output.
Still, you should be able to get and set their assignments with a
command like:

$ xsetwacom --get "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" button 1
$ xsetwacom --get "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" button 2
$ xsetwacom --get "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" button 3

# These are just examples, you probably don't actually want to use these...
$ xsetwacom --set "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" button 1 1
$ xsetwacom --set "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" button 2 key +alt tab
$ xsetwacom --set "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" button 3 button 3

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 7:33 AM, Nick Kai Nielsen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just did a clean install of Mint and find that the buttons of the
> mouse are not recognised and are therefore ineffective. This happened to
> me last year, and I cannot for the life of me remember what I did to get
> the buttons back...
>
> This is the output from xsetwacom - the mouse is recognised and the
> mousewheel is configured as a parameter and, indeed, works. What is
> entirely absent are the parameters for left, right and middle buttons.
>
> xsetwacom --list devices
>
> Wacom Graphire3 stylus                  id: 10  type: STYLUS
> Wacom Graphire3 eraser                  id: 13  type: ERASER
> Wacom Graphire3 cursor                  id: 14  type: CURSOR
>
> xsetwacom --get "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" all
>
> Option "Area" "0 0 10208 7424"
> 'Button' requires exactly 1 value(s).
> Option "ToolDebugLevel" "0"
> Option "TabletDebugLevel" "0"
> Option "Suppress" "2"
> Option "RawSample" "4"
> Property 'Wacom Pressurecurve' does not exist on device.
> Option "Mode" "Absolute"
> Property 'Wacom Hover Click' does not exist on device.
> Option "Touch" "off"
> Option "Gesture" "off"
> Option "ZoomDistance" "0"
> Option "ScrollDistance" "0"
> Option "TapTime" "250"
> Option "CursorProximity" "42"
> Option "Rotate" "none"
> Option "RelWheelUp" "button +5 "
> Option "RelWheelDown" "+4 "
> Option "AbsWheelUp" "+0 "
> Option "AbsWheelDown" "+0 "
> Option "AbsWheel2Up" "+0 "
> Option "AbsWheel2Down" "+0 "
> Property 'Wacom Strip Buttons' does not exist on device.
> Property 'Wacom Strip Buttons' does not exist on device.
> Property 'Wacom Strip Buttons' does not exist on device.
> Property 'Wacom Strip Buttons' does not exist on device.
> Option "Threshold" "27"
> Option "ToolType" "8"
> Option "ToolSerial" "0"
> Option "ToolID" "0"
> Option "ToolSerialPrevious" "1"
> Option "BindToSerial" "0"
> Option "TabletID" "19"
>
> xsetwacom --set "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" "button1" "1"
>
> Unknown parameter name 'button1'.
>
> How do I introduce parameters for the buttons so they are recognised? I
> tried playing with /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d but broke... everything!
> Help urgently required and thanks in advance !
> How to introduce the wacom applet from gnome control into mint's
> configuration panel would be useful too (Mint developers seem to have
> decided it's surplus to requirements !)
>
> Yours NKN
>
> --
> Nick Kai Nielsen
>
> 20, rue des Pampres
> 44190 Clisson
>
> Tél 02 51 84 05 54
> 06 04 47 21 23

Re: graphire 3 mouse (again but I forgot what to do)

Jason Gerecke
Okay. Go ahead and try running the following for me:

$ xsetwacom --set "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" button 1 key a
$ xsetwacom --set "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" button 2 key b
$ xsetwacom --set "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" button 3 key c

Then, click each of the three buttons on the terminal window. If
things are even minimally alive, you should see the letters 'a', 'b',
and 'c' appear as though you had typed them (since the commands above
have the buttons send keyboard events).

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Nick Kai Nielsen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> Option "ToolSerialPrevious" "1"
>>> Option "BindToSerial" "0"
>>> Option "TabletID" "19"
>>>
>>> xsetwacom --set "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" "button1" "1"
>>>
>>> Unknown parameter name 'button1'.
>>>
>>> How do I introduce parameters for the buttons so they are recognised? I
>>> tried playing with /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d but broke... everything!
>>> Help urgently required and thanks in advance !
>>> How to introduce the wacom applet from gnome control into mint's
>>> configuration panel would be useful too (Mint developers seem to have
>>> decided it's surplus to requirements !)
>>>
>>> Yours NKN
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nick Kai Nielsen
>>>
>>> 20, rue des Pampres
>>> 44190 Clisson
>>>
>>> Tél 02 51 84 05 54
>>> 06 04 47 21 23

Re: graphire 3 mouse (again but I forgot what to do)

Further to the last email

I thought I would check on the dates of the drivers (because I'm using
the drivers in the Mint install). Looking in /dev/input I find a file
(symlink?) called tablet-graphire3. Is this what my tablet/mouse should
be using ?
And how do I do it ?

Thanks in advance
NKN

Nick Kai Nielsen

20, rue des Pampres
44190 Clisson

Tél 02 51 84 05 54
06 04 47 21 23

On 10/04/2014 16:33, Nick Kai Nielsen wrote:

> I just did a clean install of Mint and find that the buttons of the
> mouse are not recognised and are therefore ineffective. This happened
> to me last year, and I cannot for the life of me remember what I did
> to get the buttons back...
>
> This is the output from xsetwacom - the mouse is recognised and the
> mousewheel is configured as a parameter and, indeed, works. What is
> entirely absent are the parameters for left, right and middle buttons.
>
> xsetwacom --list devices
>
> Wacom Graphire3 stylus              id: 10    type: STYLUS
> Wacom Graphire3 eraser              id: 13    type: ERASER
> Wacom Graphire3 cursor              id: 14    type: CURSOR
>
> xsetwacom --get "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" all
>
> Option "Area" "0 0 10208 7424"
> 'Button' requires exactly 1 value(s).
> Option "ToolDebugLevel" "0"
> Option "TabletDebugLevel" "0"
> Option "Suppress" "2"
> Option "RawSample" "4"
> Property 'Wacom Pressurecurve' does not exist on device.
> Option "Mode" "Absolute"
> Property 'Wacom Hover Click' does not exist on device.
> Option "Touch" "off"
> Option "Gesture" "off"
> Option "ZoomDistance" "0"
> Option "ScrollDistance" "0"
> Option "TapTime" "250"
> Option "CursorProximity" "42"
> Option "Rotate" "none"
> Option "RelWheelUp" "button +5 "
> Option "RelWheelDown" "+4 "
> Option "AbsWheelUp" "+0 "
> Option "AbsWheelDown" "+0 "
> Option "AbsWheel2Up" "+0 "
> Option "AbsWheel2Down" "+0 "
> Property 'Wacom Strip Buttons' does not exist on device.
> Property 'Wacom Strip Buttons' does not exist on device.
> Property 'Wacom Strip Buttons' does not exist on device.
> Property 'Wacom Strip Buttons' does not exist on device.
> Option "Threshold" "27"
> Option "ToolType" "8"
> Option "ToolSerial" "0"
> Option "ToolID" "0"
> Option "ToolSerialPrevious" "1"
> Option "BindToSerial" "0"
> Option "TabletID" "19"
>
> xsetwacom --set "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" "button1" "1"
>
> Unknown parameter name 'button1'.
>
> How do I introduce parameters for the buttons so they are recognised?
> I tried playing with /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d but broke... everything!
> Help urgently required and thanks in advance !
> How to introduce the wacom applet from gnome control into mint's
> configuration panel would be useful too (Mint developers seem to have
> decided it's surplus to requirements !)
>
> Yours NKN

Re: graphire 3 mouse (again but I forgot what to do)

Jason Gerecke
Nick,

I'm not sure if the `xinput` tool is available with a fresh Mint
install, but please try running the following command and replying
back with its output:

$ xinput list-props "Wacom Graphire3 cursor"

This will print out all the various X properties in their raw state,
without any particular wacom-specific interpretation applied. Someone
else recently reported a bug affecting the buttons, with peculiar
output when running this command... Additionally, a "Device Node"
property is listed in case you want to double-check that it matches
wherever the tablet-graphire3 symlink points :)

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:56 PM, Nick Kai Nielsen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> Property 'Wacom Strip Buttons' does not exist on device.
>> Option "Threshold" "27"
>> Option "ToolType" "8"
>> Option "ToolSerial" "0"
>> Option "ToolID" "0"
>> Option "ToolSerialPrevious" "1"
>> Option "BindToSerial" "0"
>> Option "TabletID" "19"
>>
>> xsetwacom --set "Wacom Graphire3 cursor" "button1" "1"
>>
>> Unknown parameter name 'button1'.
>>
>> How do I introduce parameters for the buttons so they are recognised?
>> I tried playing with /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d but broke... everything!
>> Help urgently required and thanks in advance !
>> How to introduce the wacom applet from gnome control into mint's
>> configuration panel would be useful too (Mint developers seem to have
>> decided it's surplus to requirements !)
>>
>> Yours NKN

Re: graphire 3 mouse (again but I forgot what to do)

Thanks for the output. It looks like your buttons are being set
properly (unlike the other bug I mentioned), so I suppose that for
some reason the actions aren't actually being executed. If I copy your
button action values and force my system to use the same ones,
clicking my puck buttons results in virtual key presses as I was
expecting...

You mentioned a config file; are you by any chance using an xorg.conf
file to configure your tablet? If so, have you tried removing all the
Wacom-specific bits (InputDevice sections and ServerLayout mentions)
so that the X server auto-detects and configures the tablet? If not,
what config file are you referring to?

The /dev/input/tablet-graphire3 and /dev/input/wacom symlinks don't
really have any effect on our driver -- both of those are created by
the kernel (well, udev to be specific) just as a handy way to identify
the various input devices. All three are interchangeable as far as the
X driver is concerned.

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Nick Kai Nielsen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>         Wacom button action 3 (282):    1572872
>         Wacom button action 4 (283):    1572873
>         Wacom Wheel Buttons (309):      "Wacom wheel action 0" (310), "Wacom
> wheel action 1" (311), "Wacom wheel action 2" (312), "Wacom wheel action 3"
> (313), "Wacom wheel action 4" (314), "Wacom wheel action 5" (315)
>         Wacom wheel action 0 (310):     1572869
>         Wacom wheel action 1 (311):     1572868
>         Wacom wheel action 2 (312):     1572864
>         Wacom wheel action 3 (313):     1572864
>         Wacom wheel action 4 (314):     1572864
>         Wacom wheel action 5 (315):     1572864
>         Device Product ID (252):        1386, 19
>         Wacom Debug Levels (284):       0, 0
>
> What I was thinking is that instead of pointing to dev/input/wacom in the
> config file, I would change it to dev/input/tablet-graphire3... or something
> like that ! I noticed that both wacom and tablet-graphire3 point to
> dev/input/event5 and I sort of figured that it means something in the
> driver. I can't quite work out how to put the entries together though.
>
> Nick
>

> Nick Kai Nielsen
>
> 20, rue des Pampres
> 44190 Clisson
>
> Tél 02 51 84 05 54
> 06 04 47 21 23
>
> On 11/04/2014 18:05, Jason Gerecke wrote:
>>
>> Nick,
>>
>> I'm not sure if the `xinput` tool is available with a fresh Mint
>> install, but please try running the following command and replying
>> back with its output:
>>
>> $ xinput list-props "Wacom Graphire3 cursor"
>>
>> This will print out all the various X properties in their raw state,
>> without any particular wacom-specific interpretation applied. Someone
>> else recently reported a bug affecting the buttons, with peculiar
>> output when running this command... Additionally, a "Device Node"
>> property is listed in case you want to double-check that it matches
>> wherever the tablet-graphire3 symlink points :)
>>
>> Jason
>> ---
>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one  /
>> (That is to say, eight) to the two,     /
>> But you can’t take seven from three,    /
>> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:56 PM, Nick Kai Nielsen
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Further to the last email
>>>
>>> I thought I would check on the dates of the drivers (because I'm using
>>> the drivers in the Mint install). Looking in /dev/input I find a file
>>> (symlink?) called tablet-graphire3. Is this what my tablet/mouse should
>>> be using ?
>>> And how do I do it ?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> NKN
>>>
>>> Nick Kai Nielsen
>>>
>>> 20, rue des Pampres
>>> 44190 Clisson
>>>
>>> Tél 02 51 84 05 54
>>> 06 04 47 21 23

Re: graphire 3 mouse (again but I forgot what to do)

I didn't see your last reply quite fast enough, it seems. The
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/wacom file is something different from the
xorg.conf I mentioned. The former is how the server can auto-detect
and configure devices, while the latter is only used for manual
configuration. By commenting everything out, the wacom-specific driver
is no longer in charge, which is why you've lost the wheel and can't
use xsetwacom. Go ahead an uncomment out the bits you commented so
that the wacom driver takes over again :)

By virtual key presses, I mean that the buttons no longer function as
*mouse buttons* but instead as *keyboard keys*. A click may not appear
to have any effect unless your active window is something like a
terminal or text editor (where pressing a keyboard key would cause a
letter to appear on-screen); clicking while only the desktop or a web
browser is the active window won't do anything (since pressing a
keyboard key wouldn't do anything for those windows either).