Quantcast

graphire3 vs intuos2 vs intuos3 (all 6x8)

graphire3 vs intuos2 vs intuos3 (all 6x8)

Jesse Guardiani
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a 6x8 tablet.
The graphire3 and a used intuos2 are within my price range.
The intuos3 4x5 is within my range, but the 6x8 is definitely
not.

I've had experience with an old serial intuos1 before, but it
didn't have pressure sensitivity or tilt, AFAIK.

I'm thinking that I'll drive myself insane wondering if tilt really
makes that much difference, so I'm looking at used intuos2s.
(they *do* have tilt, right? whereas the graphire3 doesn't...)

So my question is this:

What's the difference between an intuos2 and an intuos3?
Would you folks recommend an intuos2 (USB)?

And if the choice is between a graphire3 and an intuos2,
which is better?

Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin

Re: graphire3 vs intuos2 vs intuos3 (all 6x8)

Ping Cheng-2
Please see my comments in line.

Ping

On 9/16/05, Jesse Guardiani <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a 6x8 tablet.
The graphire3 and a used intuos2 are within my price range.
The intuos3 4x5 is within my range, but the 6x8 is definitely
not.

I've had experience with an old serial intuos1 before, but it
didn't have pressure sensitivity or tilt, AFAIK.

Serial Intuos1 supports presure sensitivity and tilt. In fact, all Wacom tablets support pressure sensitivity. All styli of Wacom protocol 5 tablets (Intuos 1, 2 , and 3, as well as Cintiq 21UX) support tilt. Some styli of the later protocol 4 tablets (models UD and UDII) support tilt too. So, your serial Intuos1 should be ok.

I'm thinking that I'll drive myself insane wondering if tilt really
makes that much difference, so I'm looking at used intuos2s.
(they *do* have tilt, right? whereas the graphire3 doesn't...)

You are right. Intuos2 has tilt. Graphire3 doesn't. As for how much difference the tilt feature can make for you, it depends on what kind of application you are going to use. If the app utilizes tilt, then tilt offers you more functionality. If the app doesn't support tilt, a tool with/without tilt will be the same.

So my question is this:

What's the difference between an intuos2 and an intuos3?
Would you folks recommend an intuos2 (USB)?

Intuos3 tools have more features than Intuos2, such as the new Intuos3 Marker pen supports rotation. Again, it is the app that you use make the real difference.

And if the choice is between a graphire3 and an intuos2,
which is better?

Intuos2 is better than Graphire3 from an artist point of view since Intuos2 has higher resolution.

Ping

Ping@LinuxWacom wrote:

> Please see my comments in line.
>
> Ping
>
> On 9/16/05, *Jesse Guardiani* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I'm looking to buy a 6x8 tablet.
>     The graphire3 and a used intuos2 are within my price range.
>     The intuos3 4x5 is within my range, but the 6x8 is definitely
>     not.
>
>     I've had experience with an old serial intuos1 before, but it
>     didn't have pressure sensitivity or tilt, AFAIK.
>

> Serial Intuos1 supports presure sensitivity and tilt.

Oh wow. I didn't realized that. I was using it under FreeBSD before. Perhaps
that driver is limited, or I didn't have it configured properly. That's
slick!

I don't own that old intuos1, but I could certainly make an offer, or
get one
from ebay. So, other than the interface type (all my machines still have
serial
ports) and the bulky power supply, what is the advantage of an intuos2 over
an intuos1? I've seen those go for as little as $35!

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin

Linux Compatible Tablets/Industrial Setting

Gregory Carter
Hello,

    I would be interested in hearing from anyone on the list about the
kinds and types of tablets they are using, and how well the hardware is
supported by the current Linux distributions out there.

   The reason why I ask is that my company currently is using xplore
tablets, (ix104RD) and they come with a Wacom digitizer AND a touch
screeen system, with a chipset supported, appearently by
touch-base.com.  The hardware manufacturer (Touch International) is not
interested in giving me the information to write a driver and I would
prefer a tablet with a touch screen system/hardware, that is operable
with a OSS driver like the wacom hardware is.  I have Fedora Core 5
(test) loaded on the tablet and it works fairly well.

   Microsoft has also announced increased prices, for the tablet
licensing program for its vendors, and most tablet vendors I have talked
with are now considering price increases in the $300 $400 dollar ranges,
which would bring units like the xplore model I have to around a
stratospheric $3400 per unit.

Postively absolutely unacceptable for a device that is based on PIII
technology and a 10 Inch screen.

   Secondly:   Are there calibration utlities for the Wacom
driver/hardware?  I couldn't find any of this in the FAQ's.   The mouse
settings are lost on exit from KDE, and I couldn't find any
documentation in the Wacom section of the xorg.conf file on how to set
the mouse/calibrate the digitizer pen so that on boot up or logout the
mouse tracking works properly.

The man page for wacom is pretty informative, except that it lacks
calibration instructions.

-gc

Re: Linux Compatible Tablets/Industrial Setting

Jens Georg

> The man page for wacom is pretty informative, except that it lacks
> calibration instructions.

wacomcpl should do the calibration