intuos pro on opensuse 12.3

Brendan Scott
Hi
I am trying to get an intuos pro (pth-851) working on opensuse 12.3.  I understand I need a more recent kernel or xf86-input-wacom.  I have downloaded xf86-input-wacom-0.24.0 but when I try ./configure it tells me:
****

No package 'xorg-server' found

***
Opensuse has xorg-x11-server... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Brendan

Re: intuos pro on opensuse 12.3

Jason Gerecke
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Brendan Scott
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> I am trying to get an intuos pro (pth-851) working on opensuse 12.3.  I understand I need a more recent kernel or xf86-input-wacom.  I have downloaded xf86-input-wacom-0.24.0 but when I try ./configure it tells me:
> ****
>
> No package 'xorg-server' found
>
> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>
> ***
> Opensuse has xorg-x11-server... Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> Brendan

These "no package found" errors are because you are missing the
necessary development headers. For this particular case, you should
try to install a package named e.g. "xorg-x11-devel". If other errors
come up after installing that, continue to find and install each
"-devel" version of the listed package.

Re: intuos pro on opensuse 12.3

Samuel Sieb
Resending since my first reply went to the sender, not the list...

On 06/05/2014 03:18 PM, Brendan Scott wrote:

> Hi
> I am trying to get an intuos pro (pth-851) working on opensuse 12.3.  I understand I need a more recent kernel or xf86-input-wacom.  I have downloaded xf86-input-wacom-0.24.0 but when I try ./configure it tells me:
> ****
>
> No package 'xorg-server' found
>
> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>
> ***
> Opensuse has xorg-x11-server... Any ideas?

You need to install the development package.  Looks like for Opensuse,
it might be called xorg-x11-server-sdk.

On 06/06/2014 09:47 AM, Jason Gerecke wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Brendan Scott
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi I am trying to get an intuos pro (pth-851) working on opensuse
>> 12.3.  I understand I need a more recent kernel or
>> xf86-input-wacom.  I have downloaded xf86-input-wacom-0.24.0 but
>> when I try ./configure it tells me: ****
>>
>> No package 'xorg-server' found
>>
>> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
>> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>>
>> *** Opensuse has xorg-x11-server... Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>

>> Brendan
>>

> These "no package found" errors are because you are missing the
> necessary development headers. For this particular case, you should
> try to install a package named e.g. "xorg-x11-devel". If other
> errors come up after installing that, continue to find and install
> each "-devel" version of the listed package.

Can't get it working :'(
I can configure, make and make install it, but it is not showing up in kcmtablet or xsetwacom --list devices

The system can see it though:
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 056a:0317 Wacom Co., Ltd

I have also found a copy of xf86-input-wacom-0.24.0 in the opensuse factory repo and installed it, but still with no joy.

What else can I try?

Re: intuos pro on opensuse 12.3

Jason Gerecke
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Brendan Scott
<[hidden email]> wrote:> On 06/06/2014 09:47
AM, Jason Gerecke wrote:

>> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Brendan Scott
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi I am trying to get an intuos pro (pth-851) working on opensuse
>>> 12.3.  I understand I need a more recent kernel or
>>> xf86-input-wacom.  I have downloaded xf86-input-wacom-0.24.0 but
>>> when I try ./configure it tells me: ****
>>>
>>> No package 'xorg-server' found
>>>
>>> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
>>> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>>>
>>> *** Opensuse has xorg-x11-server... Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>

>>> Brendan
>>>

>> These "no package found" errors are because you are missing the
>> necessary development headers. For this particular case, you should
>> try to install a package named e.g. "xorg-x11-devel". If other
>> errors come up after installing that, continue to find and install
>> each "-devel" version of the listed package.
>>

> Can't get it working :'(
> I can configure, make and make install it, but it is not showing up in kcmtablet or xsetwacom --list devices
>
> The system can see it though:
> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 056a:0317 Wacom Co., Ltd
>
> I have also found a copy of xf86-input-wacom-0.24.0 in the opensuse factory repo and installed it, but still with no joy.
>
> What else can I try?

What kernel version do you have running (`uname -r`)? I believe the
Intuos Pro is only supported by v3.12 and later, which might be newer
than your distro provides. If that's the case, you can use our
input-wacom kernel module [1] for the time being.

[1]: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Input-wacom

Re: intuos pro on opensuse 12.3

Jim Henderson-4
On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 10:16:39 +1000, Brendan Scott wrote:

> I have also found a copy of xf86-input-wacom-0.24.0 in the opensuse
> factory repo and installed it, but still with no joy.

Don't use factory files on 12.3 - factory is where 13.2 development is
taking place now, and the packages are almost certainly guaranteed to be
incompatible with 12.3.

Is the wacom kernel module loading?

Jim
--
 Jim Henderson

On 06/06/2014 10:34 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 10:16:39 +1000, Brendan Scott wrote:
>
>> I have also found a copy of xf86-input-wacom-0.24.0 in the opensuse
>> factory repo and installed it, but still with no joy.
>
> Don't use factory files on 12.3 - factory is where 13.2 development is
> taking place now, and the packages are almost certainly guaranteed to be
> incompatible with 12.3.

Well, it said it was compiled for 12.3...

In any event I have:
* removed factory repo
* kept tamar repository (for kcmtablet)
* downgraded everything installed from factory (zypper dup)
* reconfigured/recompiled xf86-input-wacom.0.24.0:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64
    make clean
    make
    make install
* rebooted

> Is the wacom kernel module loading?

Not automatically...

>lsmod | grep -i wacom
[empty]

They will load manually:

>insmod  /lib/modules/3.7.10-1.32-desktop/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
>insmod  /lib/modules/3.7.10-1.32-desktop/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen/wacom_w8001.ko
>lsmod | grep -i wacom
wacom_w8001            12983  0
wacom                  57872  0

but still not showing up as an input device
>lsusb | grep -i Wacom
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 056a:0317 Wacom Co., Ltd
>cat /proc/bus/input/devices | grep 056a

> What kernel version do you have running (`uname -r`)?

3.7.10-1.32-desktop

Even the most recent OpenSuSE build (13.1) is apparently only 3.11

Solved Re: intuos pro on opensuse 12.3

Brendan Scott
My bad
I hadn't installed input-wacom
When I went to sourceforge I followed the link "looking for the latest version" (which is to xf86-input-wacom)

Downloaded, configured, made input-wacom. Insmodded the new modules.
Seems to be working now.

Thanks

On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 11:31:20 +1000, Brendan Scott wrote:

>> Don't use factory files on 12.3 - factory is where 13.2 development is
>> taking place now, and the packages are almost certainly guaranteed to
>> be incompatible with 12.3.
>
> Well, it said it was compiled for 12.3...

It may, but factory is the current development branch, so will have the
kernel being used in pre-release 13.2 builds, which is definitely not
going to be compatible with 12.3.  We see occasional questions about
using factory with older releases of openSUSE on the openSUSE forums, and
in general, the advice is to avoid mixing factory into a release repo
list (or mixing packages from factory in a released distro).  Doing that
can lead to all sorts of problems.

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson

Re: intuos pro on opensuse 12.3

Colin Beckingham
On Fri, 2014-06-06 at 17:22 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 11:31:20 +1000, Brendan Scott wrote:
>
> >> Don't use factory files on 12.3 - factory is where 13.2 development is
> >> taking place now, and the packages are almost certainly guaranteed to
> >> be incompatible with 12.3.
> >
> > Well, it said it was compiled for 12.3...
>
> It may, but factory is the current development branch, so will have the
> kernel being used in pre-release 13.2 builds, which is definitely not
> going to be compatible with 12.3.  We see occasional questions about
> using factory with older releases of openSUSE on the openSUSE forums, and
> in general, the advice is to avoid mixing factory into a release repo
> list (or mixing packages from factory in a released distro).  Doing that
> can lead to all sorts of problems.
>
> Jim

Following on from Brendan and Jim's thoughts, what might be a good
compromise (and it has worked for me for some time now) is to get the
latest and best kernel source code from kernel.org, unpack it and do the
mrproper thing to set things up, then copy over the ".conf" file from
the openSUSE kernel-devel package (source) that you know works with your
peripherals. This gives you a launching point for the new kernel.

Compiling a custom kernel takes a while, but the process has become a
lot more reliable than it used to be. For the last several years it
seems that my custom compiled kernels have worked "out of the box." And
given the latest behaviour of grub to load the most recent kernel (which
will almost always be your custom kernel) the updates to the default
suse kernel can be implemented but will remain as a backup, unused.

Personally I think the extra compile time is adequately compensated by
the elimination of the need to mess with wacom ko files to get the
Intuos working - in the latest kernels it just works.

Colin Beckingham

Re: Solved Re: intuos pro on opensuse 12.3

Brendan Scott

A warning on http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Downloads to look carefully and ignore the "looking for the latest version" would be helpful I think.