Quantcast

mobile studio pro 16 ?

e.a.gebhart

Hello,

I have a mobile studio pro running Arch linux.

I have the xf86-input-wacom-git package installed
aur/xf86-input-wacom-git 0.33.0-1 [installed: 0.34.2-1] (2) (0.07)
    X.Org Wacom tablet driver (from git)

Linux kernel:
core/linux 4.8.13-1 (base) [installed]

Xorg Server 1.18.4-1

xsetwacom --list devices

-- sorry it's a different computer...

shows TOUCH, STYLUS, ERASER  with ids of 15, 16, and 17.

Touch works fine. But the pen doesn't work at all.

I've tried it krita and that doesn't work either. I would have expected
it to work in the OS.

I noticed on the device id doc that mobile studio pro 16 has it's
version numbers crossed out.  Should this device work ?

I've tried it with the old pen from my cintiq companion, and that
doesn't work either.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get this working ?

Thanks,

Eric

Re: mobile studio pro 16 ?

Aaron Armstrong Skomra
Hi Eric,

Support for MSP was added in kernel 4.10 so you'll need to install the
input-wacom kernel driver:

http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Aaron

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a mobile studio pro running Arch linux.
>
> I have the xf86-input-wacom-git package installed
> aur/xf86-input-wacom-git 0.33.0-1 [installed: 0.34.2-1] (2) (0.07)
>     X.Org Wacom tablet driver (from git)
>
> Linux kernel:
> core/linux 4.8.13-1 (base) [installed]
>
> Xorg Server 1.18.4-1
>
> xsetwacom --list devices
>
> -- sorry it's a different computer...
>
> shows TOUCH, STYLUS, ERASER  with ids of 15, 16, and 17.
>
> Touch works fine. But the pen doesn't work at all.
>
> I've tried it krita and that doesn't work either. I would have expected
> it to work in the OS.
>
> I noticed on the device id doc that mobile studio pro 16 has it's
> version numbers crossed out.  Should this device work ?
>
> I've tried it with the old pen from my cintiq companion, and that
> doesn't work either.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions on how to get this working ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric

Re: mobile studio pro 16 ?

e.a.gebhart

Hello Aaron,

Thanks for the help.  I thought that was what I was installing when
I installed the xf86-input-wacom-git package.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-input-wacom-git/

I've downloaded the tar ball from kernel downloads, but it has the same
name.  So I think I'm confused about which is the kernel driver, which
is the X11 driver and what it is that I've actually installed or not
installed.

Thanks,

Eric

Aaron Armstrong Skomra <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Support for MSP was added in kernel 4.10 so you'll need to install the
> input-wacom kernel driver:
>
> http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom
>
> Let us know if you have any other questions.
>
> Best,
> Aaron
>
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a mobile studio pro running Arch linux.
>>
>> I have the xf86-input-wacom-git package installed
>> aur/xf86-input-wacom-git 0.33.0-1 [installed: 0.34.2-1] (2) (0.07)
>>     X.Org Wacom tablet driver (from git)
>>
>> Linux kernel:
>> core/linux 4.8.13-1 (base) [installed]
>>
>> Xorg Server 1.18.4-1
>>
>> xsetwacom --list devices
>>
>> -- sorry it's a different computer...
>>
>> shows TOUCH, STYLUS, ERASER  with ids of 15, 16, and 17.
>>
>> Touch works fine. But the pen doesn't work at all.
>>
>> I've tried it krita and that doesn't work either. I would have expected
>> it to work in the OS.
>>
>> I noticed on the device id doc that mobile studio pro 16 has it's
>> version numbers crossed out.  Should this device work ?
>>
>> I've tried it with the old pen from my cintiq companion, and that
>> doesn't work either.
>>
>> Does anyone have suggestions on how to get this working ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eric

Re: mobile studio pro 16 ?

e.a.gebhart

Ok, I followed the instruction for building the kernel modules and
installed them.

I also upgraded Xorg, and reinstalled the official xf86-input-wacom
package which installed 34.2-1 which matches the kernel modules I
downloaded.

The driver version in /sys/module/wacom/version is v2.00.

The pen/stylus still does not work.

Is there something I can look at or try that might help understand
this ?

Thanks,

Eric

[hidden email] writes:

> Hello Aaron,
>
> Thanks for the help.  I thought that was what I was installing when
> I installed the xf86-input-wacom-git package.
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-input-wacom-git/
>
> I've downloaded the tar ball from kernel downloads, but it has the same
> name.  So I think I'm confused about which is the kernel driver, which
> is the X11 driver and what it is that I've actually installed or not
> installed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric
>
> Aaron Armstrong Skomra <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> Support for MSP was added in kernel 4.10 so you'll need to install the
>> input-wacom kernel driver:
>>
>> http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom
>>
>> Let us know if you have any other questions.
>>
>> Best,
>> Aaron
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a mobile studio pro running Arch linux.
>>>
>>> I have the xf86-input-wacom-git package installed
>>> aur/xf86-input-wacom-git 0.33.0-1 [installed: 0.34.2-1] (2) (0.07)
>>>     X.Org Wacom tablet driver (from git)
>>>
>>> Linux kernel:
>>> core/linux 4.8.13-1 (base) [installed]
>>>
>>> Xorg Server 1.18.4-1
>>>
>>> xsetwacom --list devices
>>>
>>> -- sorry it's a different computer...
>>>
>>> shows TOUCH, STYLUS, ERASER  with ids of 15, 16, and 17.
>>>
>>> Touch works fine. But the pen doesn't work at all.
>>>
>>> I've tried it krita and that doesn't work either. I would have expected
>>> it to work in the OS.
>>>
>>> I noticed on the device id doc that mobile studio pro 16 has it's
>>> version numbers crossed out.  Should this device work ?
>>>
>>> I've tried it with the old pen from my cintiq companion, and that
>>> doesn't work either.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have suggestions on how to get this working ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Eric

Re: mobile studio pro 16 ?

Aaron Armstrong Skomra
HI Eric,

If the driver version shows only "v2.00" you haven't installed the
kernel driver.

If you download the latest driver from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxwacom/files/xf86-input-wacom/input-wacom/
and install it you should have a version suffix on v2.00. I realize it
is confusing how our input-wacom (kernel) driver is nested inside our
xf86 (X driver) folder.

When I download and install input-wacom-0.34.0.tar.bz2, load and
unload the driver with the commands from the link in my previous
message, and then issue the command 'modinfo wacom | grep version' ,
this is the output I see (granted I'm using a different distro and
kernel, but the version should be the same):

version:        v2.00-0.34.0
srcversion:     DFB3DEC94FA89060ACBD540
vermagic:       4.8.0-41-generic SMP mod_unload modversions

Best,
Aaron

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I followed the instruction for building the kernel modules and
> installed them.
>
> I also upgraded Xorg, and reinstalled the official xf86-input-wacom
> package which installed 34.2-1 which matches the kernel modules I
> downloaded.
>
> The driver version in /sys/module/wacom/version is v2.00.
>
> The pen/stylus still does not work.
>
> Is there something I can look at or try that might help understand
> this ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric
>
> [hidden email] writes:
>
>> Hello Aaron,
>>
>> Thanks for the help.  I thought that was what I was installing when
>> I installed the xf86-input-wacom-git package.
>>
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-input-wacom-git/
>>
>> I've downloaded the tar ball from kernel downloads, but it has the same
>> name.  So I think I'm confused about which is the kernel driver, which
>> is the X11 driver and what it is that I've actually installed or not
>> installed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eric
>>
>> Aaron Armstrong Skomra <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Eric,
>>>
>>> Support for MSP was added in kernel 4.10 so you'll need to install the
>>> input-wacom kernel driver:
>>>
>>> http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom
>>>
>>> Let us know if you have any other questions.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Aaron

Re: mobile studio pro 16 ?

e.a.gebhart

Hi Aaron,

I see. Now I've just got to my kernel source in the right place. Either
I haven't found the right Arch doc or it's just not very easy..

I'm missing the config files for the kernel source and modules. Argh.

Aaron Armstrong Skomra <[hidden email]> writes:

> HI Eric,
>
> If the driver version shows only "v2.00" you haven't installed the
> kernel driver.
>
> If you download the latest driver from
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxwacom/files/xf86-input-wacom/input-wacom/
> and install it you should have a version suffix on v2.00. I realize it
> is confusing how our input-wacom (kernel) driver is nested inside our
> xf86 (X driver) folder.
>
> When I download and install input-wacom-0.34.0.tar.bz2, load and
> unload the driver with the commands from the link in my previous
> message, and then issue the command 'modinfo wacom | grep version' ,
> this is the output I see (granted I'm using a different distro and
> kernel, but the version should be the same):
>
> version:        v2.00-0.34.0
> srcversion:     DFB3DEC94FA89060ACBD540
> vermagic:       4.8.0-41-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
>
> Best,
> Aaron
>
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, I followed the instruction for building the kernel modules and
>> installed them.
>>
>> I also upgraded Xorg, and reinstalled the official xf86-input-wacom
>> package which installed 34.2-1 which matches the kernel modules I
>> downloaded.
>>
>> The driver version in /sys/module/wacom/version is v2.00.
>>
>> The pen/stylus still does not work.
>>
>> Is there something I can look at or try that might help understand
>> this ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eric
>>
>> [hidden email] writes:
>>
>>> Hello Aaron,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help.  I thought that was what I was installing when
>>> I installed the xf86-input-wacom-git package.
>>>
>>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-input-wacom-git/
>>>
>>> I've downloaded the tar ball from kernel downloads, but it has the same
>>> name.  So I think I'm confused about which is the kernel driver, which
>>> is the X11 driver and what it is that I've actually installed or not
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Eric

Re: mobile studio pro 16 ?

e.a.gebhart

One thing leads to another. I decided to upgrade my install because 4.10
is current. I've done this many times before, but somehow I screwed
something up.

I started over from scratch, which isn't too bad from where I was. But
now I can't get Xorg working at all. The log looks good and it looks
like wacom input is going to work. But all I get is a black screen with
'startx xterm' or a simple xinitrc with xmonad.

Xmonad is working sort of. The only thing that works is shift-CMD-Q to
exit. There are no xmonad.errors.

Does anyone have a working xorg.conf for this machine ?  It seems like it
worked out of the box before.  'Xorg :0 -configure' crashes now. which
is what it seems that I did the last time.

The only errors I'm getting are unable to load module 'nouveau' and 'nv'
plus a few from wacom invalid types, which look ok, because it does find
the ones it needs.

the 'nv' driver no longer exists from what I can tell, and nouveau isn't
necessary for this video controller.

So, I'm just hoping someone here has an xorg.conf that works for this
machine. Suggestions welcome also.

Thanks,

Eric

[hidden email] writes:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> I see. Now I've just got to my kernel source in the right place. Either
> I haven't found the right Arch doc or it's just not very easy..
>
> I'm missing the config files for the kernel source and modules. Argh.
>

> Aaron Armstrong Skomra <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> HI Eric,
>>
>> If the driver version shows only "v2.00" you haven't installed the
>> kernel driver.
>>
>> If you download the latest driver from
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxwacom/files/xf86-input-wacom/input-wacom/
>> and install it you should have a version suffix on v2.00. I realize it
>> is confusing how our input-wacom (kernel) driver is nested inside our
>> xf86 (X driver) folder.
>>
>> When I download and install input-wacom-0.34.0.tar.bz2, load and
>> unload the driver with the commands from the link in my previous
>> message, and then issue the command 'modinfo wacom | grep version' ,
>> this is the output I see (granted I'm using a different distro and
>> kernel, but the version should be the same):
>>
>> version:        v2.00-0.34.0
>> srcversion:     DFB3DEC94FA89060ACBD540
>> vermagic:       4.8.0-41-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
>>
>> Best,
>> Aaron
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, I followed the instruction for building the kernel modules and
>>> installed them.
>>>
>>> I also upgraded Xorg, and reinstalled the official xf86-input-wacom
>>> package which installed 34.2-1 which matches the kernel modules I
>>> downloaded.
>>>
>>> The driver version in /sys/module/wacom/version is v2.00.
>>>
>>> The pen/stylus still does not work.
>>>
>>> Is there something I can look at or try that might help understand
>>> this ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Eric

Re: mobile studio pro 16 ?

Jason Gerecke
Is there any particular reason you're using an xorg.conf file? That
should be completely unnecessary for most systems, and I didn't
require one when testing a MobileStudio Pro myself. (Note that I can
confirm that `Xorg :0 -configure` crashes, but it appears that's due
to a recently-introduced bug in the X server, not our driver. You
might consider filing a bug at https://bugzilla.freedesktop.org/ if
you rely on the option).

I'm not familiar with Xmonad, but if it is starting up then I'd
suspect a problem with either: a) incorrect xmonad config, b)
incorrect xinitrc config, or c) missing software.

As for "startx xterm", is that the literal command that you're
running? If you want to just start an xterm you'll need to provide the
full path (e.g. `startx /usr/bin/xterm`) or else startx will simply
pass "xterm" as a variable to your xinitrc script, where it will
(probably) be ignored. The pointer also won't be visible until its
moved over the xterm, so it may be advisable to use something like
`startx /usr/bin/xterm -maximized` to ensure the xterm takes up the
entire screen.

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 5:27 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One thing leads to another. I decided to upgrade my install because 4.10
> is current. I've done this many times before, but somehow I screwed
> something up.
>
> I started over from scratch, which isn't too bad from where I was. But
> now I can't get Xorg working at all. The log looks good and it looks
> like wacom input is going to work. But all I get is a black screen with
> 'startx xterm' or a simple xinitrc with xmonad.
>
> Xmonad is working sort of. The only thing that works is shift-CMD-Q to
> exit. There are no xmonad.errors.
>
> Does anyone have a working xorg.conf for this machine ?  It seems like it
> worked out of the box before.  'Xorg :0 -configure' crashes now. which
> is what it seems that I did the last time.
>
> The only errors I'm getting are unable to load module 'nouveau' and 'nv'
> plus a few from wacom invalid types, which look ok, because it does find
> the ones it needs.
>
> the 'nv' driver no longer exists from what I can tell, and nouveau isn't
> necessary for this video controller.
>
> So, I'm just hoping someone here has an xorg.conf that works for this
> machine. Suggestions welcome also.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric
>
> [hidden email] writes:
>
>> Hi Aaron,
>>
>> I see. Now I've just got to my kernel source in the right place. Either
>> I haven't found the right Arch doc or it's just not very easy..
>>
>> I'm missing the config files for the kernel source and modules. Argh.
>>

>> Aaron Armstrong Skomra <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> HI Eric,
>>>
>>> If the driver version shows only "v2.00" you haven't installed the
>>> kernel driver.
>>>
>>> If you download the latest driver from
>>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxwacom/files/xf86-input-wacom/input-wacom/
>>> and install it you should have a version suffix on v2.00. I realize it
>>> is confusing how our input-wacom (kernel) driver is nested inside our
>>> xf86 (X driver) folder.
>>>
>>> When I download and install input-wacom-0.34.0.tar.bz2, load and
>>> unload the driver with the commands from the link in my previous
>>> message, and then issue the command 'modinfo wacom | grep version' ,
>>> this is the output I see (granted I'm using a different distro and
>>> kernel, but the version should be the same):
>>>
>>> version:        v2.00-0.34.0
>>> srcversion:     DFB3DEC94FA89060ACBD540
>>> vermagic:       4.8.0-41-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Aaron

Re: mobile studio pro 16 ?

e.a.gebhart

Using an xorg.conf file is the only way I know to change the behavior of
xorg. Given that the display is what is not showing I cannot think of
anything other than that the automatic configuration is not working.

This setup worked perfectly (no stylus) before upgrading the kernel to
4.10 and Xorg to 1.19.3. I thought about downgrading xorg but that is a huge pain.
Being on Arch I just did the usual pacman -Syy and pacman -Su. I thought
I had screwed something up, but now I'm seeing the same behavior on a
fresh install.

Xmonad does not have any errors. I can replace it with twm,
exec startxfce4 or exec xterm with the same effect. maximized xterm
makes no difference.

No matter what I do I get a black screen.  alt-ctrl-f1 brings me back to
the console. When running the xterm typing 'exit' return will
terminate the session.  with Xmonad shift-CMD-Q exits xmonad, etc.

running xfce does give a few errors one of which is:
Error opening /dev/dri/card0  permission denied

I get this from xfsettings and xfwm4
g_str_has_prefix: assertion 'prefix != NULL' failed

This makes me wonder if there is a conflict with the two video cards the
built in Intel and the nvidia.

thanks,

Eric

Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> writes:

> [...]
>> worked out of the box before.  'Xorg :0 -configure' crashes now. which
>> is what it seems that I did the last time.
>>
>> The only errors I'm getting are unable to load module 'nouveau' and 'nv'
>> plus a few from wacom invalid types, which look ok, because it does find
>> the ones it needs.
>>
>> the 'nv' driver no longer exists from what I can tell, and nouveau isn't
>> necessary for this video controller.
>>
>> So, I'm just hoping someone here has an xorg.conf that works for this
>> machine. Suggestions welcome also.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eric
>>
>> [hidden email] writes:
>>
>>> Hi Aaron,
>>>
>>> I see. Now I've just got to my kernel source in the right place. Either
>>> I haven't found the right Arch doc or it's just not very easy..
>>>
>>> I'm missing the config files for the kernel source and modules. Argh.

Re: mobile studio pro 16 ?

Jason Gerecke
I just gave Arch a whirl to see if a recent update broke something,
but even after rebooting from a fresh `pacman -Syu` I don't see any
problems on the MobileStudio Pro 16. Its using GDM by default, but
even when I switch to multi-user.target and run `startx
/usr/bin/xfce4-terminal` (I don't have the vanilla xterm installed)
manually I don't see any problems. No xorg.conf file either...

Notable package versions (though if you upgraded, they should be identical...):

 * core/linux 4.10.4-1
 * extra/xorg-server 1.19.3-1
 * extra/xf86-video-fbdev 0.4.4-6
 * extra/xf86-video-intel 1:2.99.917+767+g7e9e92c8-1
 * (No nouveau, nv, or nvidia graphics)
 * extra/mesa 17.0.1-2

If you've got an Xorg.0.log, go ahead and attach it for me to review...