Quantcast

mobile studio pro 16 ?

12

Re: mobile studio pro 16 ?

Jason Gerecke
Okay, I think I've found a solution... Re-install the 'nvidia' and
'nvidia-utils' packages temporarily, and then add the two following
lines to your .xinitrc file just before the final "exec" line:

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto

It looks like the nVidia chip inside this system doesn't actually have
the display wired up to it. Only the integrated Intel graphics actually
drive it. When the X server starts, it hands control of the graphics to
the nVidia driver which sees that there's no outputs wired up and so
displays nothing. The two commands above tell X that it should
initialize the Intel graphics (to power the display), but use the nVidia
chip to perform the actual rendering.

I think those two commands must have been running somewhere for me in
the past and been removed at some point. When I add them into my
.xinitrc (or type them blindly at a terminal started through xinit) the
backlight comes on and I can actually see things.

Fingers crossed this works for you...

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
(That is to say, eight) to the two, /
But you can’t take seven from three, /
So you look at the sixty-fours....

On 03/30/2017 03:24 PM, Jason Gerecke wrote:

> Good news and bad news...
>
> Bad news first:
>
> Looks like the "extra" modeline is still present and being used, so its
> probably just a red herring. It also doesn't look like an issue with the
> the system "simply" turning off the backlight since I don't see any
> nVidia options that would explain that. No luck finding any "Optimus"
> settings in UEFI setup that might have gotten toggled to a bad setting
> either. I'm running out of ideas of where the bug might be hiding.
>
> Good news:
>
> I've somehow managed to reproduce the issue on my own system. I'm not
> entirely sure what's changed and why the nvidia driver no longer lights
> up the screen, but I get the same behavior -- running a bare xterm from
> xinit causes the screen to go dark, but the xterm still responds to
> input (e.g. I can type 'exit' and return back to my VT). Hopefully now
> that I've got the system behaving like this I can figure out what's
> going on.
>
> Jason
> ---
> Now instead of four in the eights place /
> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
> (That is to say, eight) to the two, /
> But you can’t take seven from three, /
> So you look at the sixty-fours....

>> Unless I missed something it looks like it's using the intel video.
>> I should probably remove the nouveau driver. It's not doing anything.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Glad to hear that it's showing signs of life again :)
>>>
>>> I still wonder why the nVidia driver isn't working properly though. The
>>> backlight turning off (as mentioned in your other message) is definitely
>>> a bit suspicious. Would you mind posting your Xorg.0.log again for
>>> comparison to the broken one? It'd be interesting to see if the current
>>> driver also detects/uses the "extra" modeline.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>> ---
>>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
>>> (That is to say, eight) to the two, /
>>> But you can’t take seven from three, /
>>> So you look at the sixty-fours....

Re: mobile studio pro 16 ?

e.a.gebhart

Yep. That works! Thanks!

I would have never figured that out.

It's using the nvidia driver now.

I wonder how many people are actually running
linux on one of these. This could be a hard problem to
overcome for a lot of people. I come from the days when
you pretty much had to write your own xf86config so at least
I have some understanding.

I had a few problems when I installed 4.8 but it only took
me a couple of hours or so to get things right. But I wonder
if I wasn't just using the intel graphics. I don't remember where
I left it.

Eric

Jason Gerecke <[hidden email]> writes:

> Okay, I think I've found a solution... Re-install the 'nvidia' and
> 'nvidia-utils' packages temporarily, and then add the two following
> lines to your .xinitrc file just before the final "exec" line:
>
> xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
> xrandr --auto
>
> It looks like the nVidia chip inside this system doesn't actually have
> the display wired up to it. Only the integrated Intel graphics actually
> drive it. When the X server starts, it hands control of the graphics to
> the nVidia driver which sees that there's no outputs wired up and so
> displays nothing. The two commands above tell X that it should
> initialize the Intel graphics (to power the display), but use the nVidia
> chip to perform the actual rendering.
>
> I think those two commands must have been running somewhere for me in
> the past and been removed at some point. When I add them into my
> .xinitrc (or type them blindly at a terminal started through xinit) the
> backlight comes on and I can actually see things.
>
> Fingers crossed this works for you...
>
> Jason
> ---
> Now instead of four in the eights place /
> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
> (That is to say, eight) to the two, /
> But you can’t take seven from three, /
> So you look at the sixty-fours....
>
> On 03/30/2017 03:24 PM, Jason Gerecke wrote:
>> Good news and bad news...
>>
>> Bad news first:
>>
>> Looks like the "extra" modeline is still present and being used, so its
>> probably just a red herring. It also doesn't look like an issue with the
>> the system "simply" turning off the backlight since I don't see any
>> nVidia options that would explain that. No luck finding any "Optimus"
>> settings in UEFI setup that might have gotten toggled to a bad setting
>> either. I'm running out of ideas of where the bug might be hiding.
>>
>> Good news:
>>
>> I've somehow managed to reproduce the issue on my own system. I'm not
>> entirely sure what's changed and why the nvidia driver no longer lights
>> up the screen, but I get the same behavior -- running a bare xterm from
>> xinit causes the screen to go dark, but the xterm still responds to
>> input (e.g. I can type 'exit' and return back to my VT). Hopefully now
>> that I've got the system behaving like this I can figure out what's
>> going on.
>>
>> Jason
>> ---
>> Now instead of four in the eights place /
>> you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
>> (That is to say, eight) to the two, /
>> But you can’t take seven from three, /
>> So you look at the sixty-fours....

>>> Unless I missed something it looks like it's using the intel video.
>>> I should probably remove the nouveau driver. It's not doing anything.
>>>
>>> [snip]

Re: mobile studio pro 16 ?

e.a.gebhart

I also had to add the same xrandr lines to

/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup

so that the sddm display manager would display, otherwise it would go dark.

I'm not sure if there is a better way to do that.

Maybe I'll just use xinit.

Eric