rotation of a built-in Wacom device inconsistent with the screen

rotation of a built-in Wacom device inconsistent with the screen

suechtla
Hello,

I discovered an unexpected behavior of my convertible with a integrated wacom touch/pen.

The used device is a HP 2760p convertible with Arch Linux. Almost everthing works out of the box including the wacom device. There is only the following behavior:
The PC has a button to rotate the screen which works flawlessly. But it only rotates the display and not the touch/stylus input provided by the wacom device. So I have a inconsistency between my stylus and pointer movement, which makes it practically unusable. I looked around the web for solutions and learned about xrandr and xsetwacom, which works fine for rotating screen and input. Except until you lock/logoff/logon. The screen stays rotated, but the stylus not!
One possible solution would be polling xrandr with a script and adjusting the input with xsetwacom or looking through the Xserver events, but I hate the polling idea.

Is this behavior expected? If not, is there a possible solution for it?

I am looking for help here, because i often change between laptop usage and tablet mode and also quite often rotate the tablet orientation. There for a fixed rotation to inverse is not a solution for me.

Best regards!

David

Re: rotation of a built-in Wacom device inconsistent with the screen

Sean Greenslade
On November 2, 2016 5:22:01 AM PDT, suechtla <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I discovered an unexpected behavior of my convertible with a integrated
>wacom touch/pen.
>As suggested on the website here
>http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/IRC I also write the
>issue
>in the mailing list.
>
>The used device is a HP 2760p convertible with Arch Linux. Almost
>everthing
>works out of the box including the wacom device. There is only the
>following behavior:
>The PC has a button to rotate the screen which works flawlessly. But it
>only rotates the display and not the touch/stylus input provided by the
>wacom device. So I have a inconsistency between my stylus and pointer
>movement, which makes it practically unusable. I looked around the web
>for
>solutions and learned about xrandr and xsetwacom, which works fine for
>rotating screen and input. Except until you lock/logoff/logon. The
>screen
>stays rotated, but the stylus not!
>One possible solution would be polling xrandr with a script and
>adjusting
>the input with xsetwacom or looking through the Xserver events, but I
>hate
>the polling idea.
>
>Is this behavior expected? If not, is there a possible solution for it?
>
>I am looking for help here, because i often change between laptop usage
>and
>tablet mode and also quite often rotate the tablet orientation. There
>for a
>fixed rotation to inverse is not a solution for me.
>
>Best regards!
>
>David

For what it's worth, I have a 2740p running Arch, and it works well for me. I personally never use screen locking, though, so I can't speak for that issue.

Can you list that desktop environment / window manager you are using? I personally use AwesomeWM, thus the rotate button does nothing by default. I wrote a script that reads the screen state then flips the xrandr and xsetwacom settings. Here's a little trick that might help you, though. I _don't_ use the wacom driver's built in rotation setting. Instead, I feed it new calibration values. For me, this was just a way to correct the small cursor shift, but it may help solve your problem as well. Also, if for some reason the tablet gets reinitialized on logout / login, you might be able to solve that problem by adding the calibration script to the device appearance udev event.

--Sean

Re: rotation of a built-in Wacom device inconsistent with the screen

suechtla

On November 2, 2016 5:22:01 AM PDT, suechtla <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I discovered an unexpected behavior of my convertible with a integrated
>wacom touch/pen.
>As suggested on the website here
>http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/IRC I also write the
>issue
>in the mailing list.
>
>The used device is a HP 2760p convertible with Arch Linux. Almost
>everthing
>works out of the box including the wacom device. There is only the
>following behavior:
>The PC has a button to rotate the screen which works flawlessly. But it
>only rotates the display and not the touch/stylus input provided by the
>wacom device. So I have a inconsistency between my stylus and pointer
>movement, which makes it practically unusable. I looked around the web
>for
>solutions and learned about xrandr and xsetwacom, which works fine for
>rotating screen and input. Except until you lock/logoff/logon. The
>screen
>stays rotated, but the stylus not!
>One possible solution would be polling xrandr with a script and
>adjusting
>the input with xsetwacom or looking through the Xserver events, but I
>hate
>the polling idea.
>
>Is this behavior expected? If not, is there a possible solution for it?
>
>I am looking for help here, because i often change between laptop usage
>and
>tablet mode and also quite often rotate the tablet orientation. There
>for a
>fixed rotation to inverse is not a solution for me.
>
>Best regards!
>
>David

For what it's worth, I have a 2740p running Arch, and it works well for me. I personally never use screen locking, though, so I can't speak for that issue.

Can you list that desktop environment / window manager you are using? I personally use AwesomeWM, thus the rotate button does nothing by default. I wrote a script that reads the screen state then flips the xrandr and xsetwacom settings. Here's a little trick that might help you, though. I _don't_ use the wacom driver's built in rotation setting. Instead, I feed it new calibration values. For me, this was just a way to correct the small cursor shift, but it may help solve your problem as well. Also, if for some reason the tablet gets reinitialized on logout / login, you might be able to solve that problem by adding the calibration script to the device appearance udev event.

--Sean

I am using Arch with standard Gnome actually, fresh install by hand.
Thanks for the hint with reinitializing, i will dig into. Maybe someone can explain why this happens?

Any other help is still welcome ;)

best regards

On Wed, Nov 02, 2016 at 08:56:15PM +0100, suechtla wrote:

> > For what it's worth, I have a 2740p running Arch, and it works well for
> > me. I personally never use screen locking, though, so I can't speak for
> > that issue.
> >
> > Can you list that desktop environment / window manager you are using? I
> > personally use AwesomeWM, thus the rotate button does nothing by default. I
> > wrote a script that reads the screen state then flips the xrandr and
> > xsetwacom settings. Here's a little trick that might help you, though. I
> > _don't_ use the wacom driver's built in rotation setting. Instead, I feed
> > it new calibration values. For me, this was just a way to correct the small
> > cursor shift, but it may help solve your problem as well. Also, if for some
> > reason the tablet gets reinitialized on logout / login, you might be able
> > to solve that problem by adding the calibration script to the device
> > appearance udev event.
>
> I am using Arch with standard Gnome actually, fresh install by hand.
> Thanks for the hint with reinitializing, i will dig into. Maybe someone can
> explain why this happens?
>
> Any other help is still welcome ;)

Just to clarify, I don't know if that's what's actually happening. I
haven't used Gnome since Gnome 2, so I can't speak to any of its
behaviors. As far as I know, the Wacom tablet is a serial device, so
there shouldn't be random detach / attach events, even during user
logouts.

If you wanted to verify whether those events were firing or not, you
could use the udev debugging mechanism:

http://www.mpipks-dresden.mpg.de/~mueller/docs/suse10.2/html/opensuse-manual_en/manual/sec.udev.debug.html

--Sean

Re: rotation of a built-in Wacom device inconsistent with the screen

suechtla

On Wed, Nov 02, 2016 at 08:56:15PM +0100, suechtla wrote:
> > For what it's worth, I have a 2740p running Arch, and it works well for
> > me. I personally never use screen locking, though, so I can't speak for
> > that issue.
> >
> > Can you list that desktop environment / window manager you are using? I
> > personally use AwesomeWM, thus the rotate button does nothing by default. I
> > wrote a script that reads the screen state then flips the xrandr and
> > xsetwacom settings. Here's a little trick that might help you, though. I
> > _don't_ use the wacom driver's built in rotation setting. Instead, I feed
> > it new calibration values. For me, this was just a way to correct the small
> > cursor shift, but it may help solve your problem as well. Also, if for some
> > reason the tablet gets reinitialized on logout / login, you might be able
> > to solve that problem by adding the calibration script to the device
> > appearance udev event.
>
> I am using Arch with standard Gnome actually, fresh install by hand.
> Thanks for the hint with reinitializing, i will dig into. Maybe someone can
> explain why this happens?
>
> Any other help is still welcome ;)

Just to clarify, I don't know if that's what's actually happening. I
haven't used Gnome since Gnome 2, so I can't speak to any of its
behaviors. As far as I know, the Wacom tablet is a serial device, so
there shouldn't be random detach / attach events, even during user
logouts.

If you wanted to verify whether those events were firing or not, you
could use the udev debugging mechanism:

http://www.mpipks-dresden.mpg.de/~mueller/docs/suse10.2/html/opensuse-manual_en/manual/sec.udev.debug.html

--Sean

So, today I did some more investigation into this issue.

As far as I can evalute, this is a bug in gnome on Xorg. With KDE, Gnome on Wayland or LXDE everthing works fine. Thanks for the support!

best regards!