smooth scrolling supported by wacom driver?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

smooth scrolling supported by wacom driver?

Cedric Wehrum
Hi guys,
I have two related questions.
Xorg supports smooth scrolling for several years now. Is the Linux
Wacom driver able to trigger the right events for smooth scrolling to
work? Because all programs I tested that support smooth scrolling
didn't scroll "smooth". Unlike scrolling with my touchpad it seems that
just the mouse wheel event is triggered. (I tested several gnome
programs and Firefox nightly). Depending on if it's supported but not
working for me or not supported at all I would write a bug report or a
feature request. Or maybe is just something configured wrong?

My second question is this:
If smooth scrolling is not supported at all, is there a possibility
that I can somehow grab the touch data directly from my c++ program?

My hardware is a CTH690 (latest Intuos Art) and I'm using the following
drivers:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-input-wacom-git/ and https://au
r.archlinux.org/packages/input-wacom-dkms/
(xf86-input-wacom 0.31.0 and input-wacom-dkms 0.30.0, I think)

Best regards,
Cedric Wehrum

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Linuxwacom-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linuxwacom-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: smooth scrolling supported by wacom driver?

Peter Hutterer-3
On Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 09:45:35PM +0100, Cedric Wehrum wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I have two related questions.
> Xorg supports smooth scrolling for several years now. Is the Linux
> Wacom driver able to trigger the right events for smooth scrolling to
> work?

Not yet, scrolling is currently triggered through wheel button events
only.

> Because all programs I tested that support smooth scrolling
> didn't scroll "smooth". Unlike scrolling with my touchpad it seems that
> just the mouse wheel event is triggered. (I tested several gnome
> programs and Firefox nightly). Depending on if it's supported but not
> working for me or not supported at all I would write a bug report or a
> feature request. Or maybe is just something configured wrong?

as said above, it's missing from the driver, it's not your configuration
that's at fault here. It could be added though since all our scroll
emulation is a smooth scroll action.

> My second question is this:
> If smooth scrolling is not supported at all, is there a possibility
> that I can somehow grab the touch data directly from my c++ program?

the touch data is available from the driver but I can't recommend using it.
exporting raw touch data from non-touchscreen devices was a mistake. I've
since wound this back from the synaptics driver (no-one ever used it, afaik)
and while it makes more sense for a wacom tablet I think it's something we
should slate for removal.

Cheers,
   Peter

> My hardware is a CTH690 (latest Intuos Art) and I'm using the following
> drivers:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-input-wacom-git/ and https://au
> r.archlinux.org/packages/input-wacom-dkms/
> (xf86-input-wacom 0.31.0 and input-wacom-dkms 0.30.0, I think)
>
> Best regards,
> Cedric Wehrum
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Linuxwacom-discuss mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linuxwacom-discuss
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Linuxwacom-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linuxwacom-discuss