Quantcast

trouble installing xf86-input-wacom on opensuse 13.1

trouble installing xf86-input-wacom on opensuse 13.1

Brendan Scott
Hi

I'm trying to get my intuos pro (pth-851) up and running on my opensuse 13.1 laptop.
When I git clone xf86-input-wacom and run autogen
it says
./autogen.sh: line 9: autoreconf: command not found

When I try the tarball configure can't find xorg (xorg-x11-server is installed. I assume this has something to do with opensuse's package naming).

Is there an easy way through this?

Thanks

Brendan

Re: trouble installing xf86-input-wacom on opensuse 13.1

Peter Hutterer-3
On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:26:26AM +1100, Brendan Scott wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm trying to get my intuos pro (pth-851) up and running on my opensuse 13.1 laptop.
> When I git clone xf86-input-wacom and run autogen
> it says
> ./autogen.sh: line 9: autoreconf: command not found
>
> When I try the tarball configure can't find xorg (xorg-x11-server is installed. I assume this has something to do with opensuse's package naming).
>
> Is there an easy way through this?

sudo yum-builddep <package name> should do it.

Cheers,
   Peter

Re: trouble installing xf86-input-wacom on opensuse 13.1

postdoc38
Brendan,

On opensuse, there is the "cnf" utility that will tell you what package needs to be installed when a command is not found. So issuing

cnf autoreconf

and following from there should fix the issue.

For the other issue, you might need some -devel packages for xorg. Look for them in "yast2 sw_single"...

Cheers,

Guillaume

On 22/03/15 01:53, Guillaume wrote:
> Brendan,
>
> On opensuse, there is the "cnf" utility that will tell you what package needs to be installed when a command is not found. So issuing
>
> cnf autoreconf
>
> and following from there should fix the issue.
>
> For the other issue, you might need some -devel packages for xorg. Look for them in "yast2 sw_single"...
Thanks for the input.

xf86-input-wacom:
I can get xf86-input configured maked and make installed.
It turns out that I had not installed automake.
I installed everything xorg-*-devel I could find. I think the thing that got it compiling was xorg-x11-server-sdk.

libwacom
I have got libwacom autogened maked and make installed

input-wacom
When I run configure, it says WARNING: unable to identify kernel version
# uname -r
3.11.6-4-desktop

make doesn't do anything (unsurprisingly).  The only kernel options are 3.7 and 3.17.

> Cheers,
>
> Guillaume
>
> On Friday 20 March 2015 10:26:26 Brendan Scott wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm trying to get my intuos pro (pth-851) up and running on my opensuse 13.1 laptop.
>> When I git clone xf86-input-wacom and run autogen
>> it says
>> ./autogen.sh: line 9: autoreconf: command not found
>>
>> When I try the tarball configure can't find xorg (xorg-x11-server is installed. I assume this has something to do with opensuse's package naming).
>>
>> Is there an easy way through this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Brendan

Re: trouble installing xf86-input-wacom on opensuse 13.1

Brendan Scott
On 22/03/15 01:53, Guillaume wrote:

> Brendan,
>
> On opensuse, there is the "cnf" utility that will tell you what package needs to be installed when a command is not found. So issuing
>
> cnf autoreconf
>
> and following from there should fix the issue.
>
> For the other issue, you might need some -devel packages for xorg. Look for them in "yast2 sw_single"...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Guillaume
>
> On Friday 20 March 2015 10:26:26 Brendan Scott wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm trying to get my intuos pro (pth-851) up and running on my opensuse 13.1 laptop.
>> When I git clone xf86-input-wacom and run autogen
>> it says
>> ./autogen.sh: line 9: autoreconf: command not found
>>
>> When I try the tarball configure can't find xorg (xorg-x11-server is installed. I assume this has something to do with opensuse's package naming).
>>
>> Is there an easy way through this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Brendan

Are  there general instructions for compiling libwacom?  Can I use the 3.7 wacom branch for a 3.11 kernel?
Thanks

Brendan

Re: trouble installing xf86-input-wacom on opensuse 13.1

Jason Gerecke

It sounds like you're missing the kernel development headers package. I'm not sure what its called for opensuse -- kernel-devel or kernel-headets perhaps? The directories in input-wacom work with several versions; the "3.7" directory for example contains code for Linux 3.7 through 3.16 (and the "3.17" code for 3.17 and newer).

Instructions for compiling/installing input-wacom are available at http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom

On 25/03/15 03:24, Jason Gerecke wrote:
> It sounds like you're missing the kernel development headers package. I'm
> not sure what its called for opensuse -- kernel-devel or kernel-headets
> perhaps? The directories in input-wacom work with several versions; the
> "3.7" directory for example contains code for Linux 3.7 through 3.16 (and
> the "3.17" code for 3.17 and newer).
>
> Instructions for compiling/installing input-wacom are available at
> http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom

Yes, that was it. There was kernel development pattern I installed. Took a bit of faffing
around, but seems to be working as of 5 mins ago.

Thanks

Brendan

> On Mar 24, 2015 2:48 AM, "Brendan Scott" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 22/03/15 01:53, Guillaume wrote:
>>> Brendan,
>>>
>>> On opensuse, there is the "cnf" utility that will tell you what package
>> needs to be installed when a command is not found. So issuing
>>>
>>> cnf autoreconf
>>>
>>> and following from there should fix the issue.
>>>
>>> For the other issue, you might need some -devel packages for xorg. Look
>> for them in "yast2 sw_single"...
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Guillaume

>> 13.1 laptop.

>> installed. I assume this has something to do with opensuse's package
>> naming).

>> Are  there general instructions for compiling libwacom?  Can I use the 3.7
>> wacom branch for a 3.11 kernel?
>> Thanks
>>
>> Brendan

>> Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website,
>> sponsored
>> by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for
>> all
>> things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs
>> news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the
>> conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/

trouble installing xf86-input-wacom on opensuse 13.1

edouard chalaron
Hi all, many thanks for your help

Still ... I am confused ....
I compiled everything from source (git) and all seems fine
Then I plug my tablet

Dmesg gives me
[62033.908425] usb 6-2: new full-speed USB device number 4 using ohci-pci
[62034.062678] usb 6-2: New USB device found, idVendor=056a, idProduct=0315
[62034.062681] usb 6-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[62034.062683] usb 6-2: Product: Intuos5 touch M
[62034.062684] usb 6-2: Manufacturer: Wacom Co.,Ltd.

Just in case I went to the xorg.conf.d folder and

# more 50-wacom.conf
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Wacom class"
MatchProduct "Wacom|WACOM|Hanwang|PTK-540WL"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "wacom"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Wacom serial class"
MatchProduct "Serial Wacom Tablet"
Driver "wacom"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Wacom serial class identifiers"
        MatchProduct "WACf|FUJ02e5|FUJ02e7|FUJ02e9"
        Driver "wacom"
EndSection

# Waltop tablets
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Waltop class"
MatchProduct "WALTOP"
MatchIsTablet "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "wacom"
EndSection

# N-Trig Duosense Electromagnetic Digitizer
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Wacom N-Trig class"
MatchProduct "HID 1b96:0001|N-Trig Pen"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Button2" "3"
EndSection

So ... should be able to roll
I am lost !!!! :'(

On 4/8/2015 3:45 PM, edouard chalaron wrote:

> Hi all, many thanks for your help
>
> Still ... I am confused ....
> I compiled everything from source (git) and all seems fine
> Then I plug my tablet
>
> Dmesg gives me
> [62033.908425] usb 6-2: new full-speed USB device number 4 using ohci-pci
> [62034.062678] usb 6-2: New USB device found, idVendor=056a, idProduct=0315
> [62034.062681] usb 6-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
> SerialNumber=0
> [62034.062683] usb 6-2: Product: Intuos5 touch M
> [62034.062684] usb 6-2: Manufacturer: Wacom Co.,Ltd.

The 0x315 (Intuos Pro medium) is not supported by the Linux 3.11 kernel
that ships with openSUSE 13.1. If the driver recognized your tablet, I'd
expect dmesg to contain lines similar to the following:

    input: Wacom Intuos Pro m Pen as </some/random/path>
    input: Wacom Intuos Pro m Finger as </some/random/path>

I installed openSUSE 13.1 into a virtual machine to try to come up with
appropriate instructions for installing the input-wacom[1] driver (which
backports support of new tablets to older kernels), but its build script
seems to dislike the structure of the kernel sources. :(

Instead of using input-wacom, its also possible to install a more
up-to-date Linux kernel. You'll need at least version 3.13 for your
tablet to be recognized. I'm not sure where instructions on how to
install your own kernel for openSUSE might be found though...

[1]: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Input-wacom

you’ve got three, ‘Cause you added one /
(That is to say, eight) to the two, /
But you can’t take seven from three, /
So you look at the sixty-fours....

> [...]
>>     opensuse 13.1 laptop.
>>     >> When I git clone xf86-input-wacom and run autogen
>>     >> it says
>>     >> ./autogen.sh: line 9: autoreconf: command not found
>>     >>
>>     >> When I try the tarball configure can't find xorg
>>     (xorg-x11-server is installed. I assume this has something to do
>>     with opensuse's package naming).
>>     >>
>>     >> Is there an easy way through this?
>>     >>
>>     >> Thanks
>>     >>
>>     >> Brendan
>>     >>
>>     Are  there general instructions for compiling libwacom?  Can I use
>>     the 3.7 wacom branch for a 3.11 kernel?
>>     Thanks
>>
>>     Brendan

Re: trouble installing xf86-input-wacom on opensuse 13.1

Hi Jason

Many thanks for that...
However... :-)) it works on another 13.1 machine with 3.11.10-25-desktop hence why I am confused !

Let me check the dmesg on the functioning machine when I plug the tablet :

Tadaaaaa :
[172209.241674] input: Wacom Intuos Pro M Pen as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-9/2-9:1.0/input/input29
[172209.244644] input: Wacom Intuos Pro M Finger as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-9/2-9:1.1/input/input30
[172209.244742] usbcore: registered new interface driver wacom

So I am missing this stuff for an unknown reason
As per repeating what I did to get it up working : can't remember ! I did that 8 months ago, e.g. it's not something I am doing daily.

> [...]

>>     >> Hi
>>     >>
>>     >> I'm trying to get my intuos pro (pth-851) up and running on my
>>     opensuse 13.1 laptop.
>>     >> When I git clone xf86-input-wacom and run autogen
>>     >> it says
>>     >> ./autogen.sh: line 9: autoreconf: command not found
>>     >>
>>     >> When I try the tarball configure can't find xorg
>>     (xorg-x11-server is installed. I assume this has something to do
>>     with opensuse's package naming).
>>     >>
>>     >> Is there an easy way through this?
>>     >>
>>     >> Thanks
>>     >>
>>     >> Brendan
>>     >>
>>     Are  there general instructions for compiling libwacom?  Can I use

Solved !! input-wacom on opensuse 13.1

edouard chalaron
Solved ... most probably not very elegant but does the job
I used the input wacom 0.23 just did configure and followed instructions to copy module to the proper folder (see the ./configure output)
Did not even use a make (!!) or make install

THEN

# modprobe wacom

Plugged the tablet ... works fine !
I have not tested the button config yet though but I did it on the already functioning machine

Cheers
Ed

On Fri, 2015-04-10 at 11:02 +1200, edouard chalaron wrote:
> [...]

>>     >> Hi
>>     >>
>>     >> I'm trying to get my intuos pro (pth-851) up and running on my
>>     opensuse 13.1 laptop.
>>     >> When I git clone xf86-input-wacom and run autogen
>>     >> it says
>>     >> ./autogen.sh: line 9: autoreconf: command not found
>>     >>
>>     >> When I try the tarball configure can't find xorg
>>     (xorg-x11-server is installed. I assume this has something to do
>>     with opensuse's package naming).
>>     >>
>>     >> Is there an easy way through this?
>>     >>
>>     >> Thanks
>>     >>
>>     >> Brendan
>>     >>
>>     Are  there general instructions for compiling libwacom?  Can I use

Re: Solved !! input-wacom on opensuse 13.1

Jason Gerecke
Good to hear! Let us know if you run into any other issues. I'm not
often booted into SUSE...

I'll have a closer look at input-wacom 0.23 to see if I can learn
anything about how to fix 0.27 to work properly under SUSE too.